Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My New SIG 556-R

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My New SIG 556-R

Just got back from a trip and had to buy a gun

The SIG 556-R is the 7.62x39 version. Overall impression - NICE! I've handled a few of these with the new style collapsible stock and honestly when I found they are making the "classic" stock availalbe I just had to pull the trigger (pun intended).

The best thing about this is the price - As you probably know SIG likes to sell "package deals" to sweeten the pot. This one came with the red dot sight, a flash kill sight cover, factory rails, Bulgarian 30-rd mag, and the factory logo range bag.

All for $999 DELIVERED!

The bag alone is worth $80-ish on Gunbroker. The sight is probably a little more than that. So figuring those two things with the rails and mag, I would estimate I have $250 in accessories. Making the base gun cost at around $750-ish. And considering a friend recently bought a fully converted Saiga 5.45 for $999 I can't really complain.

I have yet to get it to the range. The pics show that the barrel has a good amount of meat - doesn't look too skimpy. There are a few things pointed out on the SIG forums and it appears all of the latest factory mods / updates are in place. The big one is the mag well insert. I guess the original had a different design and would get chewed up from metal mags. Spring loaded firing pin. GREAT trigger pull!

The only out-of-box "issue" I can complain about is that the handguards were a little wobbly. It looks like perhaps these newer handguards are a bit thinner than the originals? I heated the very end shim area (that sits inside the rim on the gas block) with a propane torch until it got soft enough to bend with pliers. BEnt out a little bit, and PRESTO no more handguard wobble. Minor complaint, really, as it doesn't affect the operation.

Can't wait to get it to the range. I am looking at the performance of aftermarket muzzle brakes and I *might* consider putting a PWS-30 muzzle brake on it. Maybe. Still talking myself into spending $99 on a brake LOL

I did add one of those flip-up magnifiers to convert a 1x sight into a 2-5x sight. Seems to work well for a cheap version. I think I spent $100 on that. If it works well then I'll keep it, otherwise I may get an actual Russian optic to put on it.

More pics here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54f...7917265%212268

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

congrats welcome to the sig rifle club
    there is the sig fourum Main Page great site, go to masons rifle room and there is sig 556 another great site SIG 556 • Index page

I have a 551-A1 brand new, love it over my ar's, I have a 556 lower in case I want to use ar mags otherwise I have a good supply 550 swiss mags

you will enjoy this quality rifle

sprat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Sweet rifle! How is the folding stock? Does it lock up tight and what is your initial impression of the quality of the stock?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Damn, now I REALLY want one!!!
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The stock is S-O-L-I-D!!! You could bash in a terrorist's skull with it The latch is a little on the tight side, so I've been cycling it to get it worn in a little. I might take a small file and try to round it off a little because it looks like there's a burr from the machining process. The profile of the stock is slightly different from the original -551 version but not by much. TRUE, the "fixed-folder" isn't as versatile as the "collapsible-folder", but it is my preference. It isn't too long like a "NATO length" AK stock. Feels really good!

You know the more I play with the case the more I want to get another one! POCKETS-POCKETS-POCKETS! The case also has backpack straps on it. With a foam divider you could easily carry two rifles. This could easily become my one and only range back since there's so much room in it!

Sprat, I have had my eye on the -A1 version! That may in fact be my next purchase. Magazines will be the stickler for me. I'll have to plan on getting a half dozen mags all at once so I can just have them. I'm torn because I have so many .223 magazines now for the AK platform that I hate to have "yet another" kind of magazine floating around the garage. Surprisingly, I don't have a rifle that uses standard AR magazines so the -556 AR version isn't really a selling point with me.

Do those lugs on the Swiss mags affect their use with a mag pouch? Since my dad sells those IIFS LBV's I have collected several sets of them They seem to work well with 2x AR mags in the top pouches and 1x AR mags in the bottom pouches. The bottom pouches are SNUG however and I imagine they would have issues with those plastic lugs.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

They're both nice looking

I didn't know they made one that took AK mags, hmmmm
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That's awesome HC!!! Ive been interested in a 551 or 556 for awhile now, but I didn't know they had one that took AK mags.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Pookie
    I use east german ak pouches for the 30 rd mags with no problem ( as they are loose) I also have a swiss mag holder ( rare TZ90 camo pattern) some guys use fn fal black leather pouches for the 20 rd mags
    whether 7.62- 556 model or the 223 - 551-A1 the mags lock in like a ak mag, though the 550 mags are no interchangable with ak mags in fact I tried to see if my weiger mags fit and they don't
    the swiss 550 mags are smoke pattern

the pic posted above is the original pic I have since changed the handguards with original 551 handguards, added a swiss bayo lug, original PE-90 ( 550 ) pistol grip, waiting on the newly made top rails,

most of us use HK slings

mags are expensive, I have been buying them on gunbroker cheap, most are Leo marked but orignal SANS marked, the newer sig mags are the same and function fine i just prefer the original swiss army mags, they are suppose to be more durable then the ar mags
    I wanted to be able to switch mags based on availablity, so i bought a 556 complete lower so i could use ar mags. sig just had a offer where they were selling 551-A1 lowers for 556 owners ( i think the offer is still available)

before sig decided to make 7.62 556 model some guys were making there own. correct me but the mags are interchangable with ak's????

sprat

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Are they interchangeable with AK mags? YEP - they USE AK mags! They ship a BULGARIAN 30-rounder with them The magwell is made to work out-of-box with synthetic mags, meaning the magwell is a bit larger. Fits every one of my synthetics including the Bulgy waffle mags and Tapco mags like in my pic. Metal mags fit fine, obviously.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

yep the mag well on the 551A-1 is smaller as the weiger mag is too large, never thought of trying a east german 5.45mm mags. will do next time out to the range

on another note: I read a thread on swiss rifles that sig 540 and ar-70 mags can be adapted to working the 550 series rifles they all have common ancestor the beretta/sig 530

one thing I forgot I also replaced my muzzle brake, with a orignal swiss PE 90 one, these come off with a small bit of propane ( to burn off the loctite) and screw off

I just love this rifle mine is mounted with both the Mepro m-21 and the M-4 Aimpoint tack driver

more pookie

ok that 556 has been found to be a great hog gun using 223 w/ 70 grain barnes all copper projectiles, just imagine what one in 7.62x39 will do!!!
    do I hear freezer full!!!!!! of pork

sprat

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.