Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1932 "Bonus Army" Battle in D.C.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default 1932 "Bonus Army" Battle in D.C.

I've never heard of this until a few minutes ago. Absolutely disgusting that the government as well as active duty military, could treat veterans like this. People think that something like this could never happen, with the military following orders against citizens, but they sure did it back in 1932!!

Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

My grandad was there in the camp.WW1 vet.told my dad about it and I've wondered if the stress of no man's land in Europe or being attacked by his own country men in the last cavalry charge caused his stroke that killed him when was barely 40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

this is great lesson to be learned here especially when I hear active duty and veterans say this counld never happen in our country, well it did
    and it was douglas MacArthur who was in charge??? BS when the commander and chief says go you go, their will be no mutiny

if you know your US history you will see the US Gov't has used troop against the folks numerous times satrting with Shays rebellion and/or the whiskey wars
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A black day in US history, to be sure. They never mentioned it in history class when I was in school. Many interesting/shocking things happened in our nation's past that really don't get taught but should.

Commanded by MacArthur, other participants - George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower.

Snipped from Wikipedia:
    At 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"

After the cavalry charged, the infantry, with fixed bayonets and tear gas (adamsite, an arsenical vomiting agent) entered the camps, evicting veterans, families, and camp followers. The veterans fled across the Anacostia River to their largest camp and President Hoover ordered the assault stopped. However Gen. MacArthur, feeling the Bonus March was an attempt to overthrow the U.S. government, ignored the President and ordered a new attack. Fifty-five veterans were injured and 135 arrested. A veteran's wife miscarried. When 12-week-old Bernard Myers died in the hospital after being caught in the tear gas attack, a government investigation reported he died of enteritis, while a hospital spokesman said the tear gas "didn't do it any good."

During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later the 34th President of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides. Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role: "I told that dumb son-of-a-bitch not to go down there," he said later. "I told him it was no place for the Chief of Staff." Despite his misgivings, Eisenhower later wrote the Army's official incident report which endorsed MacArthur's conduct
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It took Harry Truman to finally drive a spike through Douglas Macarthur's heart. Well, Harry asked for his resignation, anyway.

The WWII propaganda machine tried really hard to whitewash Macarthur, but it takes very little reading for the scumbag-ness to ooze through.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score

Yeah, a truly disgusting incident. I never read it in a history book either. Didn't know a thing about it until I found it on the internet. The history taught in school is only what they want you to know.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

Check out 1946 Athens Tennessee when veterans raided a national guard armory to fight corrupt officials. Try it today. Wait for the air strikes.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Yeah I was really shocked that I had not heard about it before, as well as the fact that McArthur, Patton, and Eisenhower were all involved. The government indoctrination camps (AKA: public schools) sure built these three men up to be great saviors of America. What freaking B.S. !!!!

Yeah the Battle of Athens was another event that I didn't know about until about 5 years ago. Hell most of the REAL history of our country I never knew until I was in my 40's.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yep the government is sounding like the PDRNK more every day!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Try reading Eisenhower's "Crusade In Europe." All of WWII was fought in Europe, and Dwight D. personally commanded everything and won it. If the Pacific theater was even mentioned, I don't remember it. And the Soviet efforts barely rated a comment.

Other than the propaganda and misinformation, part of that book are really scary. Eisenhower was only a theater commander, well down in the Combined Operations pecking order. He didn't seem to know that. And when the SHAEF HQ moved to England, Eisenhower complained in his book that he didn't know why Winston Churchill kept showing up at meetings when it wasn't any of his business. From his own words, Eisenhower didn't know that Churchill was Minister of War as well as Prime Minister, or that Churchill was in and above him in the chain of command. Churchill also commented on his problems with Eisenhower in his history of WWII.

Patton... most of the successes he took credit for were despite his presence, not because of it. It's debatable whether Patton was just a flaming asshole or a sociopath. But the propaganda machine ground on...

Of course, both of those pale before Montgomery, who was even quirkier then those two as well as incompetent. But the British PR machine felt it inadvisable to downplay him after his incompetence started showing up, so he wound up being micromanaged to keep him out of trouble as much as possible. Churchill told of some of his meetings with Montgomery in North Africa; even then, it should have been obvious that Montgomery should have been shuffled off to an important post inspecting socks, or perhaps just taken out behind the latrine and shot.

In his autobiography, Albert Speer said Adolf Hitler told him "victory will go to the side that makes the fewest mistakes." After it was all over, the histories made it look like Allied victory was inevitable... but a lot of WWII looks eerily like the Keystone Kops vs. the Imperial Stormtroopers. Except real people died by the millions.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

cost of bullets going up since lead is shut down in us

tfb 14-1003 blade

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.