Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ar15 kit build and range report

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Ar15 kit build and range report

I recently had a new experience for a new AR15 parts kit build. Everything about this build was new to me and I had a great time. The testing ground is the high desert of northern NV.

First the kit; purchased from APEX it was a new DSA ZM4 (M4 clone) parts kit. The kit came with the upper and barrel assembly already put together and head spaced. The only issue I saw with the kit was the A3 upper was a bit discolored on one side, but nothing I wanted to send back or cared about. All the parts were there, nicely packaged and shipped.

apex ZM4 parts kit - WTS: AR15 ZM4 Carbine Part Set, Mid-Length 16" BBL, 5.56 at APEX Gun Parts

The AR15 80% receiver - Purchased from Ares Armor and cnc'd to complete. Never built a AR15 on a 80% receiver yet and this was the first build. First thing I noticed when installing all the lower parts was all the pre-drilled holes were the correct size and depth. I did not need to modify any hole the 80% came with. All the parts installed perfectly even after my CNC work. All parts functioned correctly and smoothly.

Receiver work 80% AR15 receivers completed
    Ares Armor 80% - http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHL15

2nd gen magazines from Magpul. Got these from Copes. Never used or wanted to use a plastic mag before. I've used the mil issue mags all my life, but thought I would give it a try. I'm sold...... these mags work flawlessly...the fit and feel was impressive, smooth insertion after mag drops and quick changes. They are hardened plastic but are still lite and comfy to the touch.

Copes Mags - http://www.copesdistributing.com/pac...rd-p-7255.html

Put the kit together and ran 120 rds of Guatemalan 55gr M193 5.56. Ran all 4 mags back to back with only time in between to change mags. Rifle, receiver, and mags ran flawlessly. I kept as tight groups as I could at 50 yards with no rear sight.....That's right so excited about seeing if all these components worked and shot together I forgot to bring a rear flip up sight...LOL

First build on first AR15 parts kit in over 6 years..... on a 80% receiver I built and hogged out..... using new mags I'm not familiar with......What could go wrong...Nothing!

My new baby!

IMG_0779.jpg
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

looks like a real "shooting iron" ya got there-- now you need a nice scope!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

welcome to the club

i really like my DSA upper i just received, enjoy

now get a 22lr conversion kit and you and the wife can head out with the P-22
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

It needs the flip up rear sight and a good scope for sure.

Never thought about a 22 conversion kit for an AR, never had any experience with it. Certainly sounds like a good way to save on cash but get to shoot at the same time
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I fully recommend the cmmg 22 conversion. I have one as well as about 10 people I know. All are very pleased. Very accurate, and very reliable. Cool thing is everybody reports the optics don't need to be adjusted as the 22 hits dead on with optics sighted in for 223/5.56.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have a surplus air force unit, but there are some good commerical units

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Well done Sir!!

Now that's something to give thanks for!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

nice to see you do one of these.

& another person is now convinced on just how good the GEN2 MagPul mags are.... they really are that awesome.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Gunco great job on that, looks great.. I have a neighbor a bit from here that builds all his own ARs.. I have a few complete lowers with stocks sitting in the room.. Think I will start grabbing parts and have him show me how these go together..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

plenty of tutorials on ar-15 forum and you tube has a million tutorials

these firearms are extremely easy to assemble even with 80% aluminum or polymer lowers, several members will lend you the jigs for the 80%, all you need is a drill press and dremel, so easy I have stop no challange

easier than ak builds (they bore me too)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.