Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Black Blade

Thread: Garden Like Your Life Depends on It!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Garden Like Your Life Depends on It!

Garden Like Your Life Depends on It!

standeyo.com / By Holly Deyo / April 4, 2014

WHY ARE FOOD PRICES SO HIGH?

Everyone is complaining about sky high food prices. Why are they going nuts? The fault is mostly due to harsh weather conditions of drought, vicious storms, floods, soggy soil, hail, frost and ice, and ferocious winds. Escalating extremes have beaten fruits, vegetables and farm animals to death around the world and we’re paying for it – literally. In the last 3 years, America was slammed with 32 multi-billion dollar disasters that for the most part, hit during crop-growing seasons. The 2012 Drought / Heatwave alone took a $30 billion bite out of peoples’ pockets.

For the past three years drought has decimated Texas cattle herds by over 2 million head. Now California’s cattle are getting smacked. This is small potatoes by comparison, but last year South Dakota lost 30,000 head – frozen in a single November blizzard. Our neighbor to the south, Mexico, lost 1.7 million head in 2011 due to drought. There are other cattle losses as well, but there’s not time to document them all.

It used to be that cattle herds took about 3 years to replenish. Experts stated this week it could take the rest of this decade – 6 years – to rebuild America’s beef and dairy livestock. That’s double the norm. Meanwhile, food prices continue to ramp up. That’s ifno more catastrophes descend. How much do you want to bet on a lucky break? In the first 3 months of this year, 1/3 of the U.S. is in USDA-declared crop disaster areas.

Gas prices are moving up again with Brent Crude kissing a $100/barrel yesterday. It costs more money to move produce, dairy and meat from farmer to fork. Also, more countries are eating better so farmers ship more food to other nations. This puts a squeeze on our supply. Then there’s the idiocy of bio-fuels, which takes another bite from food stocks. However, the most direct and dire cause of rising food prices is unquestionably weather disasters.

READ MORE
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Mother Earth News was a magazine my instructor from tech school turn me on to back around 1982, when I took a two year HVAC/R class. He was a old Navy Chief that did sub duty. It covers stuff like this and much more. I do a container grow at my rented home but my COPD limits what I can do.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Black Blade - I've been planning what I'll put into my garden area this year. Today will be the day I have planned for digging holes to plant some apple and pear trees. I then need to get the garden area ready for planting. My neighbor and I are going to go in on renting a rototiller since neither of us owns one (I just till in the spring, no need to till my raised bed garden).

Last years garden did great - this year will be some different selections to try to utilize the space more efficiently.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am looking to add some fruit trees but not sure if they can survive. I have trouble getting some trees and plants to grow here (alkaline soil). I see neighbors have a few gardens and trees down hill from me though. May have to consider something like raspberry and blackberry bushes as they tend to grow just about anywhere. May even consider getting a few honey bee hives as my neighbors (ranchers) have acres and acres of alfalfa fields - think honey and mead. Will have to wait for now though.

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Short List Of Fast Growing Vegetables

April 5, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

Fast vegetable crops are good to grow because they provide some food on the table in the shortest period of time. They are a good jump-start to the growing season after a winter of grocery store produce.

If you have a limited season (colder climate zones), then you can help maximize your garden’s output by growing fast-growing vegetables.

Also, in a post SHTF world, these vegetables will provide quick food from the garden…

(UPDATED)

Read more…
    sniper69 likes this.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    I am looking to add some fruit trees but not sure if they can survive. I have trouble getting some trees and plants to grow here (alkaline soil). I see neighbors have a few gardens and trees down hill from me though. May have to consider something like raspberry and blackberry bushes as they tend to grow just about anywhere. May even consider getting a few honey bee hives as my neighbors (ranchers) have acres and acres of alfalfa fields - think honey and mead. Will have to wait for now though.

- Black Blade
    Black Blade - You could always amend the soil where you are at so it is more conducive to what you want to grow. What types of fruit trees do you want to grow?

For a fruit tree, what I did was to just dig a hole about 3 times the size of the container the fruit tree came in and then put in some composted manure (I used a 40 lb bag from lowes for each tree), then a 40 lb bag of top soil mixed with the soil dug out of the hole. Water it in good, add more soil if needed, water again, and then put about 1/2" to 1" of mulch on top. Water once a week until the trees are established. The apple and pear trees I planted were done that way. I planted Yellow delicious, Red Delicious, and Winesap apples. For pears I planted Bartlett and Ayers varieties.

Now I need to figure where the blueberries are going to get put (they like soil more acidic so I will plant those differently). One of my kids wanted raspberries - so I'll plan those in somewhere as well. I've already chosen an are to put some elderberrry (sambucus nigra) trees. The elderberry I'm starting from seed.

Now I need to wait until Wednesday or Thursday to do more planting as there as supposed to be thunderstorms sometime today and tomorrow.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the bad thing is the growing season is so short now-- thanks to al-gore and his global warming BS.

it is still too cold for most things down here in the sunny south --and i bet as soon as it warms up--drought--

just got through dodging a few tornados thursday-- so far it ain't shaping up to be a good spring growing season around here!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I used to live on a pile of slate rock. I wanted a garden so I had to haul in dirt. We had a horse stable nearby. They let me haul away as many truck loads of stable sweepings as I wanted. There was a huge pile out back. I bordered the garden area with old railroad ties and filled it in with the manure/straw compost and those veggies grew like nothing I have ever seen. I even grew "meat", as it attracted squirrels by the truck load. Just lean out the kitchen window with a pellet gun. I am also going to concentrate on getting more fruit trees in the ground this year. I also have some blackberrys or "dewberries" as the old folks call them around here. They were transplanted from the wild last year. We shall see how they do.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.