Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inside the huge Mormon food warehouses

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Inside the huge Mormon food warehouses

Inside the huge warehouses used to store food as Mormon faith fuels state's insatiable desire for disaster preparation

Mormons have long taught disaster preparedness and now the trend is catching on nationwide
    Survivalist terms like '72-hour kit' once used predominantly by Mormons and largely in Utah are now mainstream
    The church has historically ginned up its disaster hoarding during slimmer and more paranoid times from the Cold War to the recent Great Recession
    Snippit:

Towering grain silos overlook the main highway in Salt Lake City at the Mormon church's Welfare Square. At grocery stores, there's a whole section with large plastic tubs with labels that read, "Deluxe survivor 700." Radio ads hawk long-term supplies of food with 25-year shelf lives.

And houses are equipped with special shelving for cans of beans, rice and wheat.

Storing away enough food and water in case of disaster, job loss or something worse is not just part of the fundamental teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it's an idea that is increasingly catching on nationwide.

Mormon warehouses stocked with packaged and canned foods.

The Mormon emphasis on self-reliance dates back to the mid-1800s when food storage began as a pragmatic way to ensure survival as church members trekked across the country to Salt Lake City, said Matthew Bowman, assistant professor of religion at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia.

‘A lot of times we are thinking in terms of food storage that we are preparing for this major calamity or major disaster or for Armageddon,’ said Rick Foster, manager of North America Humanitarian Services with the LDS church. ‘It's not about that.

‘It's about helping all of us individually to get through these bumps that occur in our lives,’ he said.

If members are prepared, they can help themselves and others in times of need, Foster said. When a water main broke in his neighborhood, Foster's family was able to provide drinking water from their supply to a neighbor who needed water to make formula for her baby.

The church has a massive warehouse near the airport in Salt Lake City where shelves are stacked tall with boxes of food it uses to stock 143 grocery store-like storehouses it runs across the Americas to provide food to members in need.

Much of the food the church stores is homemade. The church owns farms, ranches and dairies and operates canneries. The peanut butter is made from a peanut farm the church owns in Texas. The apple sauce is made from apples at a church orchard in Idaho.

Hoarding for survival? At Utah grocery stores, there's a whole section with large plastic tubs with labels that read, Deluxe survivor 700. Radio ads hawk long-term supplies of food with 25-year shelf lives

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eparation.html

Black Blade: My Mormon friends have some impressive food storage. Would be cool if I could get some photos of those as well. They helped me get a few items when they allowed canning at their Idaho cannery a few years ago. I have about a 7-10 year storage of mixed items (mostly freeze-dried but also cases of canned goods and bulk grains. Picking up a few more things over the holidays (including a couple cases of honey from a local bee keeper).
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

They own a pear orchard here and I would imagine they own other farms elsewhere to produce there own food.

Additionally,They also have a small warehouse here.
    Last edited by Plan B; 12-24-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Survivo.../dp/B00972FYNU

Great idea on their part.. Be good to cache a few of them at a hunting camp. Get snowed in or problems getting out for awhile, their it is. That and a cached weapon and some ammo, good to go..
    Hell something to start a fire, a water purifier, warm blankets, medical and hygiene necessities. Keep a setup in the trunk or stored in a lock box in your truck.
    Having lived out west in my younger days, their were places if the snow hit or you broke down. You were their for awhile.. Even a good kit for people who have boats with life rafts..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

One thing I can tell you that's fake with that pic of the cans, there's nothing in them, the cans would be crushed from the weight being stacked that high. That's a pic from a can company that manufactures them.

But I do believe the Mormons along with other groups have "community" food banks.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

They have a Church down the road from me. They use to stop by my house and read Bible chapters.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

Coils is proably right,Morman wards sometimes have their own canning equipment, and let members do their own
    canning. That would explain why they have a supply of empty cans. They preder a #10 can.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

They ship cans and lids across the country to "canneries" where church members and non-members can buy and can bulk foods (at least until recently). Seems the Feds have new food handling "standards" now and retail chains were complaining about "competition" from the church so many canneries across the country are closed or are closing but people can still buy pre-canned goods online. I visited one of the regional canneries in Idaho Falls, Idaho while on business a while back and my friends showed me where they added bulk grains and some wetpack goods. Unfortunately they were closed when we went by - maybe some other time I can get a look inside. The wetpack section just shutdown thanks to complaints by food and supermarket chains who can't compete on price since the LDS is a nonprofit. My brother and his wife got some goods from there (she has a relative who works there).

Idaho Falls, Idaho cannery.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Coils is proably right,Morman wards sometimes have their own canning equipment, and let members do their own
    canning.
    They ship cans and lids across the country to "canneries" where church members and non-members can buy and can bulk foods
    Didn't know they had their own canneries and it's very interesting, and makes sense. I mainly mentioned it because the pic and article made it look like big stacks of already canned food.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

susposedly the feds want to know his is buying from them an stocking up. l ot of hear say here but interesting I wonder if they have bulk rolls of tin foil LOL

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-su...canneries.html

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    One thing I can tell you that's fake with that pic of the cans, there's nothing in them, the cans would be crushed from the weight being stacked that high. That's a pic from a can company that manufactures them.

But I do believe the Mormons along with other groups have "community" food banks.

You might be surprised at how much weight a pallet of cans can support. When I worked for Coca Cola our warehouse used to stack pallets of 12 and 24 pack soda cans 4-5 high just like in the picture. I also used to do similar stacks in the back rooms of our store accounts during the busy holiday times.

Keep in mind those were thin walled aluminum soda cans so I bet a steel food can could easily support much more weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.