Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retro Royal Tiger M16a1

Feedback Score

Default Retro Royal Tiger M16a1

Got my Royal Tiger kit a while back. Have posted before I ordered some more used furniture from GPC Numrich and am pleased good front hand guard, grip & butt except butt sling is badly rusted. This is the early style with no trap door butt stock. Have two $60 new take off 223 Remington 700 barrels so I ordered a DPMS barrel extension and pin for $20+$2 from Midway (with a bunch of cleaning supplies) and am machining my own barrel. Lathe turned the barrel, installed the extension and head spaced. Only mod was to press a small piece of stock and turn for the front sight base stop to .75 dia cuz barrel was small in this area. Cut the 13/16-16 extension threads and 1/2-28 muzzle threads single point. Need to finish mill work aka install pins. Lower receiver was a investment cast part I bought about 15yrs ago. Finished it and a raw 7075 forging a few months back on my own used and refurbished by me BRIDGEPORT. Barrel work was done on my own LATHE. Have my own machines and have been saving, planning and shopping for 3+ years and posted pic in the Tool Thread. The BP w/DRO came equipped but the Lathe w/DRO was in primo condition but no tooling. Have well tooled it up in the last few months via Ebay, Craigslist and friends. Even have sold off excess to recoup some cost! Have been a Machinist for 39 years (CNC for the last 32) started the same year my BP was made 1974 and am proud of my little shop!
    Back on topic. As discussed I machined off the lower fence around the mag release for a more retro look and am considering engraving. Sprat liked this idea too. I think Sprat and myself are both hard headed have a lot in common and are learning to respect each other and our different methods of doing things. I will parkerize the steel and use Gunkote on the aluminum. May order some Gunkote in a more gray tone but hate to pay the spray bomb price.

100_0721.JPG100_0728.JPG100_0730.JPG100_0723.JPG

Feedback Score

Very nice project. I'm not really an AR guy but I love the retro ones(like most things despite my age haha). Look forward to seeing the finished project.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

Nice work Willie! I like that retro look on a AR. I was never really a fan of AR's but am leaning more towards building one since I shot the hell out of one this past weekend. The prices coming down are a plus too.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

looking good!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

That is great willie.. Super nice job on that.. Good for you young fella..
    All the forums everyone seems to have an interest in the old A-1, M-16 I guess they are.. Damn, if myself and twa had a time machine "kernel how you doing on that?" we could have sent yah all home parts.
    Guys were mailing everything home till some got stupid and started mailing things that go boom..
    Good weapons, once the bugs were aired out.. Still in full use by the Thai Military, that says something for their durability..
    Niece just gave me a bunch of old picts. I will try to get you guys close ups of the originals..
    My best Bro Moose Munoz. God he was my Bro.. Crazy Mexican taught me how to make money selling family photos too the local tribesman. Those old Polaroid cameras..
    Local Chief got wind of it and almost had us shot. We moved on to other things.. The good old days..
    Good to see you guys preserving history. Thank you..
    First one to invent a time machine, I will mail yall home this one. Even has the fun switch. Buyer pays shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Looking good Willie. I hope that after I move this spring, that maybe I can start putting together some used equipment. Lathe and mill at least.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

yes nice build, I really like the barrel work impressive, one way to improvise, your build will look nice with the replacement stock and handguards. the lower looks good without the fence. can't wait till you take her to the range

for the other posters, I was never a AR fan. too many moveable parts, a bubdy of mine had one off the shelf I could hear that recoils spring the first time it threw me, then i decided to do my own lowers, been hooked ever since
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    yes nice build, I really like the barrel work impressive, one way to improvise, your build will look nice with the replacement stock and handguards. the lower looks good without the fence. can't wait till you take her to the range

for the other posters, I was never a AR fan. too many moveable parts, a bubdy of mine had one off the shelf I could hear that recoils spring the first time it threw me, then i decided to do my own lowers, been hooked ever since
    THAT'S what I'm afraid of, damn things probably will multiply faster than the AK's!!! LOL
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken3030 View Post
    THAT'S what I'm afraid of, damn things probably will multiply faster than the AK's!!! LOL
    Ken be careful, they do.. Their like rabbits. You go in your room and before you know it their all over the damn place..
    Once you have the receiver, you can buy the rest as you have the $$$..
    My problem is I have Spikes and Tactical Machine AR companies near my home.. Both great people nice companies...
    j4 would be their every day..
    Hell we even call in our orders. They have them ready in about 10 minutes for ATF paperwork and pickup..
    Take me all day to figure which way the damn springs go, their done before I hang up the phone.. Plus they like Vets. Good folks..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Think? The old originals we had came with a 1 in 12 barrel twist.. Why did they reduce the rate of twist?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.