Thread: ATF USES MENTALLY DISABLED PEOPLE IN STING

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default ATF USES MENTALLY DISABLED PEOPLE IN STING

THIS WAS FRONT PAGE IN THE NEWSPAPER THE OTHER DAY .

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-in-gun-stings

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Report Details ATF's Use Of Mentally Disabled In Gun Stings
    by EYDER PERALTA
    December 08, 2013 3:17 PM
    The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel just published a blockbuster story that's today's must read: Based on court records, police reports and dozens of interviews, the paper details how the ATF used "rogue" tactics — including providing underage youths with alcohol and allowing them to smoke pot — to run storefront gun and drug stings across the country.

In our estimation, the most explosive allegation made in the report is that the agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives used mentally disabled people to run their stings.

The seal of the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives photographed in 2007.i
    The seal of the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives photographed in 2007.

AFP/Getty Images
    In cases across the country, ATF agents recruited mentally disabled men to promote their "businesses" and recruit other illegal gun purchasers. In one case, the paper reports, the agents running Squid's Smoke Shop in Portland, Ore., convinced Aaron Key, 19 and described as "mentally disabled," to get a tattoo of a squid on his neck to promote the store.

Key agreed and agents posted pictures of him to their fake Facebook page. When the sting came to an end, Key was sentenced to 18 months in prison for "selling a sawed-off shotgun and arranging for prostitutes to come to a party being thrown by the undercover agents."

The judge, however, ordered that if Key wanted his tattoo removed, the ATF should pay for it once he is released from prison.

The paper started looking at storefront stings after it reported on a "flawed operation" back in April. The mode of operation was similar: ATF agents made a mentally disabled Milwaukee man a central part of their sting. That brought up questions about tactics and the ATF said it was an "isolated incident."

What the paper reports today, is that the case was not at all isolated. The ATF did not give the Journal Sentinel an interview. Instead, it issued a written statement saying: "Long-term undercover investigations are one of many tools used by ATF in locations that have high levels of violence occurring in the demographics and a mechanism is needed to rid the area of a large volume of individuals (as) opposed to a handful of individuals."

The whole investigation is worth a read, so we encourage you to click on over.

atf
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Google+
    Email
    130Comment

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I often worry about some of the troll's an weird members who show up on various sites they hang out for a whikle to try to talk guns generally posting about whether they should buy this or that model trying to fit in then they slowly reach out to member so buy this or that .

Stay vigilant guys .

I had a stranger approach me the other day were I shoot pool . he becan a conversation about obama sucks an liberal douche bags taking out gusn etc bLA BLA BLA . He knew some how I was into guns . By the end of the conversation he was talking about wanting a non registered AK. MY reply was I dont sell guns ZI dont build guns to sell an I go the extra mile to make sure i dont brak any laws an I have nothiung to sell. I got s little snotty about it an he was obviously taken aback . I had never seen the guy s but others said he is a local ????????????????????????????????/
    He might have been ok an in his defense I was wearing a VZ hat an S&W Tee shirt . But my raar was on red .

I have also been invited to go shooting at ranges that are hard to get into by strangers who claim o have this or that zombie killer an I have never been sure it was a good idea . They might be good guys who just want be friends or they might be ATF trying to get you to trust them wiht illegale secrets. I have got to know one guy an I did do a little home work an hes a good guy an I may join his range.

about 5 years ago I did a few 7.62x25 barrels for guys an suddenly I had Emails from strangers wanting barrles cut down an muzzles threaded I want on high alert then as well . ONe guy was asking about drilling the barrel with lots of ports in a obvious attempt to latter build a internal suppressor barrel . i just replied sounds possably illegal an im not interested .

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.