Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O.K. j4. ready to build..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default O.K. j4. ready to build..

O.K. been watching every Youtube video on AR building.. They make it look like a piece of cake.. Remember, I have my Tactical Machine and Spikes crew real close if I screw up..
    Still hold the record for the AK whipping toss. 111 feet 4 inches.. I have the AR special wrench thing a dinga.. Do I need the other gizmos? My mechanical ability is that of an infant chimp, but I think I can do it..
    Does a home build have to be head-spaced, or do you just take your ex wife to test fire it? "Here yah go honey, I have to go too the truck, shoot, be right back."
    Look way way easier than the AK.. Still have my testing station. Probably have to duct tape it down??
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

being that the ar barrels have the head-space set on the barrel extension you don't have to do a head space on it. it is a good idea to check the head space anyway if you have a 5.56 go and no go laying around.

an ar barrel is sort of like having a bolt matching AK upper assembly except that ALL 5.56 ar-15/m16s have a factory set head space. new bolts on new barrels are supposed to be interchangable--provided the barrel extension and bolt are set to the standard.

even most conversions are set to the standard --some match set ups are set "tight" on those they usually come with a bolt.

duct tape the hell out of it1--LOL!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You don't build an AR, you assemble it. Sorta like the difference between assembling a bike from the crate on Christmas Eve versus starting with two wheels and a bunch of tubing...

Seriously, it's pretty much a reassemble from a detail strip, the only issues are the little detent pins tend to go flying if you aren't careful, and the roll pins are tiny and hard to start without something to hold them with. Be very careful installing the triggerguard roll pin, if the "ear" on the receiver isn't supported well you can snap it off instead of driving the pin through it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What j427x said If you have a barrel with extension the chamber is "head-spaced" for the bolt to lock in at the proper setting. You will be good to go.
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score

Kernel, I would beg to differ with you. Thats like saying in my former life I 'assembled' houses instead of built them because the lumber came pre-planed and the studs were pre-cut.
    My first firearm builds were 1911s and with those I used jewelers rouge and lapping compound so that all the mating and reciprocating surfaces were glass-like, both frame-to-slide and internals.
    I approached my several AR builds the same way. I assure you I 'built' my ARs.
    I assure you that just as I have the knowledge and ability to fell trees, plane lumber, and make nails, I have the ability to mold plastic, turn barrels and drill holes in frames I've cast. I have just found that some other people do it a little faster, a little better and a little more economically than I so I chose to use their parts and products.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

That dam'n roll pin in the trigger guard taught me my first lesson on ar's.wasn't the first one I assembled either. It was like a wtf moment.

Feedback Score

ALL the roll pins are a pita in an ar.take your time. Do em right. I got froggy ..once.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

assembling pre made parts is not building kernel klink is 100 % right ANY IDIOT CAN ASSEMBLE PARTS NO TALENT HERE, come back when you take a 80% or 0% lower or upper and made it functional thats building, slapping a nodak lower to a ak kit aint building either, rolling your own reciever or using a blank is building
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Agree sprat watch them roll pins! That was like late 80's when I did a boo boo.And I'm not just any idiot. I'm special!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Cool

if you want to get technical--

building an ar on a 80% ain't really building either as you only do the 20% of the unfinished machine work on the lower --

that leaves ALL the parts made by someone else and 80% of the machine work being done elsewhere. if you want to build an ar-15 you need to make 100% of all the content.

a few years ago i did a raw forging -- lots of work cutting and drilling --that mag well was s super PITA with my hardware --but i still didn't build anything-- all i did was machine the forging.

milling out the FCG and drilling a few holes for an 80% lower ain't "building" a lower -- if you got tooling is is an awful short project setting up an 80%--

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

exp 556
extar 556 mods
extar exp 556
extar exp 556 449
extar exp 556 accessories

extar exp 556 for sale

extar exp gas block

extar exp-556 pistol review

extar mods
extar556 mods
new frontier lower extar exp556
stock extar 556
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.