Thread: Secret EU plan could see police remotely stopping your car

Feedback Score

Default Secret EU plan could see police remotely stopping your car

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/02/e...tely-your-car/

Police in the European Union are allegedly hard at work developing a remote-stopping system that would allow authorities to disable a vehicle at a moment's notice, according to a report from AutoExpress. It's being developed by the European Network of Law Enforcement Technology Services.

The system is being developed in order to prevent high-speed chases, with a leaked report from ENLETS saying, "Criminal offenders will take risks to escape after a crime. In most cases the police are unable to chase the criminal due to a lack of efficient means to stop the vehicle safely." It's hoped that the system will be on the road as early as 2020.

Now, from a safety standpoint, bringing a car to a halt by flipping a switch or clicking a mouse certainly seems preferable to actions that put officers or other motorists in danger. Still, it strikes us rather heavy handed to install such a system in every vehicle when only a very small number are involved in high-speed pursuits.

What do you think? What would your reaction be to a system like this in the United States?

Feedback Score

I think it would be a little dangerous to have the switch flipped just as you were pulling in front of a semi that you were passing going 85 mph down I-80 in Nebraska. It could get a little bloody when the semi gets me and 20 cars behind him. A spike strip would be better, but it just isn't high tech.

Feedback Score

The technology already exists with "OnStar".
    Personally, there's not one computer on any of my three vehicles. My OlSkewl stuff can survive anything, including an EMP.
    Just like 'gun control', this 'criminal control' is just PEOPLE CONTROL.
    Up theirs and the puke-politicians that allow it.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Would be kind of nice to be able to stop your own car if it were stolen .

Im pretty sure that technology exists already besides onstar an the like.

some of the stuff in heavy equipment now will tell you every aspect of the machine from engine speed Hyd pressure were its located with in a few inches etc from any were on the planet. seems like it would be easy to also shut it off .

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

They were testing something years ago that would do something like this, but it was a strip they could throw down like a spike strip, it sent out an electrical charge high enough to damage the electronics of the vehicle and cause the engine to die.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.