Gunco Forums banner

Sten MKIII build info...?

7K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  AK76239 
#1 ·
Has anyone here used an SAS3 build kit to assemble a legal Sten MKIII? If so, do the instructions have enough detail to complete the build without guess work?

What are the US parts count, if any? Also, is the original trigger group 100% usable for S/A with modification?

#2 ·
Thanks Cephus. I know that the receiver tube has a smaller ID to prevent using the original bolt. I was hoping that with all of the members here that someone had put one of the SAS3 kits together. I have some Sten kits and I want to build one.

#3 ·
I know what you mean about funds. I have enough AK kits to last a while. But I was thinking about after the first of the year when the kits with barrels dry up.

Right now I am researching so that I know exactly what I am up against.

#4 ·
RTO68-69 said:
Has anyone here used an SAS3 build kit to assemble a legal Sten MKIII? If so, do the instructions have enough detail to complete the build without guess work?

What are the US parts count, if any? Also, is the original trigger group 100% usable for S/A with modification?
Instructions are easy to follow with photos. US parts included are trunions, receiver, bolt, hammer. Non-count US parts are firing pin, recoil rods, springs, barrel extension.

Cephus said:
I never tried one but from what I've read on thier site [It's been awhile] they take a trigger and a bolt out of a AR15 and in corperate it in the sten some how so it can be fired semi !!!! If I still had the link I'd give it to ya but I lost almost all of that when the pooter dumped !!!!
Wrong.

Bolt is entirely new manufacture, not at all similar to AR15.

Original Sten trigger group is used.

#8 ·
RTO68-69 said:
donvito, if I purchase the SAS3 kit will I need anything else to complete the build? Other than the MKIII parts kit. Also, do I have to contact the BATF for this build with the SAS3 kit?

Thank you for the info.
You will need the basic cut up Sten SMG kit. That's it. No need to contact ATF. There is an ATF letter with it outlining what is required for a build. The SAS3 kit has been inspected and approved by ATF tech branch as well. I done builing as I have one of each but I heard they are offering one smg kit with every sas3 kit purchased for only $30 so I may be ordering another one!

#9 ·
I have a full kit and a full semmi kit to build it with from the place mentioned above , the kit looks prety easy because the instructions are very compleat looking , with many pics. I have not done it due to time.
It realy looks to me as if the most dificult thing would be carefully grinding then old spot welds apart. not too bad...
price well a littel high in my oppinion , not for the work involved to make the conversion kit but for me, the end price and the looks of the finished gun ... well I just like AK's.
if you like to look fo the kit I would go for it .. if you understand an AK build you can do this build too..

#12 ·
I'm waiting for the BSA-3 as well for use with a MkV kit I've been holding. Might do another MkIII, but with a full lenth IMI 9mm barrel instead of going the barrel extention route like my first one. The SAS-3 kits are a bear to cock and the springs don't seem to hold up long.

#13 ·
Fishpaw said:
There is a guy in CT that is working on a new semi sten conversion called the BSA-3 sten. He is at www.stenguns.tripod.com. I have 2 kits cleaned up just waiting for the new approved design.
Don't hold your breath, it ain't going to happen, IMO.

RetVet said:
I'm waiting for the BSA-3 as well for use with a MkV kit I've been holding. Might do another MkIII, but with a full lenth IMI 9mm barrel instead of going the barrel extention route like my first one. The SAS-3 kits are a bear to cock and the springs don't seem to hold up long.

New hammer being made for the SAS3 will take care of the problems. They said it would be out within a month or so.

#15 ·
C_Kassidy said:
Well, this kinda sucks. I want to build mine but the BSA3 kit is taking a hella long time to come out and the SAS3 kit is not available. I guess i will have to wait till something happens. :eek:ld:
BSA kit will never come out. I told you all this a year ago. The SAS3 kit will be back in by the end of the month. They had a special where all orders before 1/1/06 would receive a sten MK3 kit for only $25...

#18 ·
Apparently the company is making some changes to the bolt and hammer to make the SAS3 even more reliablle. I have built one of the kits, but never tried it yet. I need to play with the springs because it takes all I got to cock that thing!

#19 ·
gtbehary said:
Apparently the company is making some changes to the bolt and hammer to make the SAS3 even more reliablle. I have built one of the kits, but never tried it yet. I need to play with the springs because it takes all I got to cock that thing!
changes to the SAS3 bolt have nothing to do with reliabilty, they are making it easier to use when building a mark2 or mark5 kit is all. They did redesign the hammer, however, to add more mass.

#20 ·
C_Kassidy said:
Well, this kinda sucks. I want to build mine but the BSA3 kit is taking a hella long time to come out and the SAS3 kit is not available. I guess i will have to wait till something happens. :eek:ld:
BSA kit will never come out. I told you all this a year ago. The SAS3 kit will be back in by the end of the month. They had a special where all orders before 1/1/06 would receive a sten MK3 kit for only $25...

BSA kit? August 2006 an all I hear is crickets...

#21 ·
th guy is on another site asking for people who want these .... i dont know him. but claims to have them available for 185 with all machine work done. you can check it out and make your own judgements. personally i love the ugly little gun. lots of fun to play with.

#23 ·
thought you were already up on this from your responses....

the guy you seem to be referring to is over on weaponeer in the semi sten thread offering this set up for those who are interested.

im always interested in new toys, but dont know anything at all about what has transpired in the past with this kit or person. so im not pushing for it or anything like that, just taking in all the info that you or anyone else has to offer.

you seem to have some knowledge on the subject would you care to share the rest? or is it one of those "non talk" about deals?

either way thanks for the info.

#24 ·
dutigaf said:

the guy you seem to be referring to is over on weaponeer in the semi sten thread offering this set up for those who are interested.

im always interested in new toys, but dont know anything at all about what has transpired in the past with this kit or person. so im not pushing for it or anything like that, just taking in all the info that you or anyone else has to offer.

you seem to have some knowledge on the subject would you care to share the rest? or is it one of those "non talk" about deals?

either way thanks for the info.
Dumb asses shouldn't be allowed to own guns... or computers... this is the website for the BSA3, last update was 8/05 http://stenguns.tripod.com/bsa3.html

The weaponeer $169 deal is for a tube and a booklet describing a build per the SGN article only. This is not a BSA3 kit. This is not any sort of kit. The SGN build would not pass ATF muster as printed either.

#25 ·
"Dumb asses shouldn't be allowed to own guns... or computers... "

neither should jerks.

any good reason that your trying so hard to get attention? or are you always this friendly?

#26 ·
dutigaf said:
"Dumb asses shouldn't be allowed to own guns... or computers... "

neither should jerks.

any good reason that your trying so hard to get attention? or are you always this friendly?
Go slap your 5th grade reading teacher for not working on your comprehension.... and this quip wasn't too friendly either:

dutigaf said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.