Gunco Forums banner

caliburs that may work in a AK mag

8K views 76 replies 12 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
this site http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.html has some cool pics and info on what works in the mini 14 & 30. the levithan round has me thinking. If they can make it work in a 223 mag should be doable in the AK mag. some of these do 3000 fps with a 6mm bullet. they also have some very nice barrels$$$ that may be adaptable.

#2 · (Edited)

1.) .17 Remington
2,) .204 Ruger
3.) .222 Remington
4.) .223 Remington
5.) 6mm X 45
6.) 7.62x39 or .308
7.) 6mm PPC
8.) 6.5 Grendel
9.) 6.8 Rem. SPC
10.) 243 Leviathan SM **Other calibers available!

What about 5.45x39? :p

#4 ·
Hcpookie thanks for getting the pics up. My computer skills are limited. I noticed also that the 5.45x39 was not shown. My guess is most mini30 owners would not be interested in this round with the cost involved to do a conversion. the 300 wisper would be a good choice as well. I looked into that round a while back the barrel needs a pretty fast twist rate to stapelize the heavy bullets that work best in it. the Leviathan round (243 WSSM)reaches some pretty high CUP pressures, with a case that is some thing like a 1/2 inch in dia that would not leave a lot of barrel dia in a 23mm trunion. another round to consider is the 1.5-308 wildcat hotter than a 30-30 with a 150 grain bullet, it would be a nice improvement over the 7.62x39 round with out all the mag and floor plate rework of some of the other conversions I'm thinking of proably would work with a ROMMY trunion also. I guess i'm getting bored building more guns in 7.62x39.

#5 ·
I know I've seen the Meeper converson of a SAR-3 (.223 model) that was converted to .50 Beowulf. That was one nice looking rifle... looked like a normal AK with a full-diameter barrel!

I have to agree with your caliber boredom - I'm about at the end of my need to build more AKs. I like having a few "buddy builds" in the safe but I'd like to work more with .223 and some "application specific" rounds like the 6.5 Grendel. Supposedly Wolf Ammo will be making 6.5 Grendel ammo soon, making this a bit more enticing.

I'd REALLY like to play with the 6.8 SPC but that will be a ways away.

I'm actively working on a 9x39 clone and I'm tracking the progress in the Ammo forum. Basically this will mate a .35 Remington bullet with a standard 7.62x39 case to throw a 250 grain bullet out to 200 yards. I think it will perform close to the .50 Beowulf but maybe a little better and in the Russian design. A real thumper! :)

#6 ·
9x39 would make a good hunting pistol calibur. I need some thing for deer at up 150 yards. a suomi barrel would work good for this (are they chrome lined?) would need a special ream for this and dies. I havent been watching the ammo forum. I am just now getting into reloading. I was thinking of a 8mmx39 awhile back. I orderd some .308 sabots http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html to put .22 bullets in a 7.62 x39 plan on trying make some accelerator type ammo. I hope to be able to pull bullets from wolf ammo (cheap) and replace the bullet and powder with a saboted 22. not sure if it will feed and cycle but It will only cost $25 to find out. if the 6.5 Grendel was avaliable cheap I would be all over doing a conversion Thats all I need a 7or 8 reams at $150 a pop and more dies. this all started with one gun

#7 ·
1biggun said:
9x39 would make a good hunting pistol calibur. I need some thing for deer at up 150 yards. a suomi barrel would work good for this (are they chrome lined?) would need a special ream for this and dies. I havent been watching the ammo forum. I am just now getting into reloading. I was thinking of a 8mmx39 awhile back.
I think 9x39 will be an *awesome* bush rifle caliber! Here in VA they only let you shotgun hunt, but I gave up sitting in a cold forest acting like a stump a long time ago... yes I'm a little school girl when it comes to cold weather hunting :D

I have been looking at the .358 (.35 caliber) barrels, but I never considered a 9mm barrel. HRM..... good idea, I'll have to seriously look into those! :thumbup1:

#8 ·
hcpookie I did a searh on some of your old posts on a 9x39 round very Interesting. I would think that a 220 grain bullet would need a prety fast twist in the barrel. what were you planing on using for a doner barrel? 35 REM possably?
I might be interested in splitting the cost of the reamer in a project like this. what about some thing like the 1.5"-08 (shortened 308 case) but with a 9mm bullet? brass is pretty cheap for a 308. the 358 win is based on a 308 case a gun I am going to build as soon as I get the 308 conversion done http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win.htm . It would have more case capacity than the 39mm as well. I know that there was a bunch of wildcats built around the 1.5-08. and would not be suprised if it did not already exist.
Luckly in WI pistols are allowed in our shot gun areas. If not for that I would have never even considerd building a AK, now Im Helping five friends build pistols.I know what you mean about cold my hands were freezzing to my AMD 65 pistol while traking a hit deer this year (wood forearm for next season)

#10 ·
Thanks for the tip, Parrandero! And welcome to Gunco!

That .458 SOCOM looks like it is chambered for a .223 bolt head? Hard to tell from the pics. It appears this would deliver more energy than a .50 Beowulf.

Not sure how that would kick? I'm thinking for a tactical entry/home defense situation... I like that Valmet-style bayonet lug! You know that's kinda like an AR style lug isn't it?

Its nice they put all the reloading contact info on the page there for you! Ammo is available from Corbon too :)

http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_458.htm

#11 ·
1biggun said:
hcpookie I did a searh on some of your old posts on a 9x39 round very Interesting. I would think that a 220 grain bullet would need a prety fast twist in the barrel. what were you planing on using for a doner barrel? 35 REM possably?
Yes, my plan is to use a 35 REM barrel. I'm getting the tools together before I get a barrel.

what about some thing like the 1.5"-08 (shortened 308 case) but with a 9mm bullet?
9mm is going to be *slightly* different in size by a few thousandths of an inch, and therefore I'm not sure how it would match with a .358 barrel. I'll hafta ask my dad the reloading master about that!

the 358 win is based on a 308 case a gun I am going to build as soon as I get the 308 conversion done http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win.htm . It would have more case capacity than the 39mm as well. I know that there was a bunch of wildcats built around the 1.5-08. and would not be suprised if it did not already exist.
Yeah I've heard about that 358 Win before, it seems to be along the same lines as what I'm working on, but I think using a 308 donor case instead of 7.62x39? I guess you could say the 9x39 is a lighter-powered copy. The 9x39 was designed from the beginning as a subsonic round, and fulfills a specific duty of suppressed cover fire, CQB and urban combat duty. I think the lighter recoil and potentially subsonic performance of the 9x39 wildcat would make it meet those same goals. I'm thinking a home defense / CQB / brush gun application, reaching out to *MAYBE* 200 yards tops. Back home in OK my dad & bro can use high-power rifles all day long, so they'll probably be the first to go hunting with it - going to be a family affair! :thumbup1:

#12 ·
I know my 357 rugger black hawk had a avaliable 9mm cylinder. dont no how well they shot. I am all for a heay'r bullet hunting pistol. the good thing with my amd 65 pistol is it will shoot 250 yards plus. the bad thing is it shots 250 yards plus meaning that were we hunt is still a shot gun / pistol only zone and the visibilty is some what limmited at times. that last thing I want to do is hit a farm house or worse 2 miles away that I did not know about. some thing with less range withg more knock down power is what I am thinking .although I have shot deer out to the 250 yard range with the 7.62x39 I was not impressed with the bullet expansion bolth deeer this year with pmc sp ammo had very little expansion and were shot clear through. were the The amd realy shined was the abilty to take follow up shots hard to do with a TC Contender. A 9mm with a 200 grain bullet would be more to my liking at 150 yard it should knock a animal off its feet. what is the cost of a ream and dies for a 9x39 set up? I would think that if this could be done You could probably rent out the ream or ream other peoples barrels to offset the cost. I would think that mag would possably be single stack due to the wider bullet. I have been thinking a shell catcher or deflecter would be a good idea also. I have not retrived hardly any of the brass I have shot.

#15 ·
30 carbine can be done proably have to be blow back. ammo is not real cheap and the round not that great IMOA. I have a MI carbine and other than plinking it is dissapointing Bought it back in the 80's when you gould get them for $75.oo. to me it would be a lot of work for several steps down from the 7.62x39 in performance. but yes it should be on a list of doable rounds.
I contacted tromix as to what the 458 SOCOM AK was built on and if a barrel was for sale, by email. Tony responded that the base kit was a 7.65x39 but could not recall what one. He has built two AK's bolth were on milled firing line receivers the one on the site uses Galil and Modified Bulgarian mags. no plans to offer barrels. gun shown was priced at $1650. I am looking into reamer costs barrel blanks ect to see what it would run to build something like this. I think a 45/70 barrel may be possably rechamberd. the AR guys are using factory mags, 223 I assume for this round with only slight mods to the feed lips. a wasr 223 mag may be a good candiate for this as well. does any one know of any differances in the firing line reciver and a ak trunion around the lug area?

#18 ·
no but a stainless fluted one would be cool. there was a round steel 45-70 on Ebay the other day sold for around $50. still trying to get info on a reamer for this though. a 458 socom can get full powder burn in some thing like 10". perfect for a pistol.

#19 ·
I saw an AK in 35 Remington about five,almost six years ago.That would make dies,brass and ammo easy.I think 35 Remington is an old rimmed cartridge.I saw 30 Remington ammo once, which is not common and it's rimless.They were suppose to have made a 35 caliber version of it too.I think they were used in some sort of early semi-auto Remington rifle.I think 6.8mm is based on the 30 Remington case.

#23 ·
Ok back to what calibers fit a 7.62 x39 mm Ak mag correct without alterations

you all forgot 7.92 x 33 mm kurz, it fits just nicely and functions even better with a 308 bolt head and a old cut down 8mm mauser barrel

Sprat

#24 ·
Ok I'll Bite. do you find any load info for this round? what it the overall length? This might make a good hunting round as 8mm bullet selection is a little better than .311. Did you have any pressure specs and velocity stuff for this? I just happen to have a bad barrel Yugo kit and a few 8mm mauser barrels lying around. do you happen to have a round that you can post next to a 7.62x39 for comparison? the twist rate of the mauser barrel as it is designed for a 150 grain and up bullet and the extra weight of a 8mm bullet might allow for a whisper type load. those 220 grain SP's got me thinking

#26 ·
Bert

don't bite, nibble alittle first. No I never got the tolerances. but I remembered a article in shotgun news afew years back discussing this and the article said the pressure is the same or simular

7.92 x33mm No pics but the steel case length is 1.295, the projectile should be 123gr fmj overall case length1.872 the base rim is . 467 as is 8mm/308/30'06

7.62 x39mm base rim is .442 with a overall 2.156 124gr (wolf)

I am preparing for vacation when I return I am gonna turn down a old cut down mauser barrel. I don't know the twist I wasn't planning on building a whipser.
but trying something different now that reloadable brass is around and partizan makes this stuff. I have some east german stuff I bought years ago also

I read the article you posted that load of imr 4227 is lower than what I put in my range pickups with 124 gr

I gonna see if I saved that article in SGN

the .311 or 303 british will be done using a romak 3 kit I am still waiting to find this bren barrel dicussion and I will seek out other threads.

sprat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.