Gunco Forums banner

CFS suomi barrel mount question

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
Got two Suomi kits coming from CFS with my Yugo kits. Won't get here for a while but I already got a question so if you suomi guys please provide some info:
the suomi's have interchangable barrels. and the barrel/heat tube are detachable, mounted to the receiver using a bayonet mount, right? The CFS suomi kits are torched, so is that barrel mounting structure also damaged? can"t really tell since CFS's web picture is really small, but it looks like it is damaged pretty badly.

If the barrel mount can be salvaged then it should't be too hard to build a SuomiAK pistol...... With quick detachable barrel that is:thumbup1:

Thanks

#4 ·
Got two of the $20 specials, mine were in the same shape. Fortunately the Prexis 80% receiver comes with the mounting lugs already machined. The hard part will be the front filler that contains the mounting for the takedown lever and the rear filler that fits behind the magwell. Out of the two kits I got, one front was useable and neither had a good rear. GPC has rears for $15, but are sold out of the fronts.

#5 ·
all five of mine were toast only one has any usable material behind the lug at all. Who is GPC ? are there front lugs avaliable any were? spent several hours staring at those kits last nite. May build a square straight tube reciver with rails and mill the bolt down and mod for semi firing pin. was thiking of putting the recoil spring in a FAL type position. was going to just make a trunion and press and pin barrel but if front lugs were avaliable that would change my thinking?

#6 ·
I was thinking about using a 1.6mm AK receiver and cut off the suomi bolt's front portion and mod it to fit into a AK carrier, then drill and install AK firing pin. Have to make the front trunnion but since it is only 9mm I can use a huge aluminum block for it. Also drill the aluminum trunnion block to get the guide hole for the carrier (so no need to add a gas tube for guiding).

Too bad the original barrel mount can not be reused.

Have fun.

#7 ·
there may be enough to weld the lugs to something else like a home made trunion on one of my kit's. I have a lathe and mill so I think I can duplicate the barrel mount. I dont think I will need to use any AK parts except a trigger group. plan on dong this one from scratch for under $50.00 as a pistol( no compliance parts). you might want to contact prexis to see if they can sell you just the front. Thinking about this now it maybe something I should start making for sale. a square block turned round on the end for the barrel mounts with lugs cut in with a hole the size of the barrel enough extra material for guys to drill there own guide rod holes ect maybe even a mag well built in. Man I want a cnc mill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.