Gunco Forums banner

CONVERSION TO 500 S&W

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Any comments, ideas, suggestions regarding converting to a 500 S&W. Also, I'm a virgin to this idea of converting AKs to other calibers. Where does one acquire barrels for these projects? Thx in advance

J.D.

#2 ·
the proplem with 500 S&W is the big bolt face if you want to build on a standard ak kit. now a siaga 410 SG might work as a doner. barrel blanks are $300 Aprox then you need it chamberd. the case is to short to fit a AK length mag properly and the stuff is $$$$$$$ to shoot. IMOA a 50 beowulf would be a better start if you truly have to have a 50.

#5 ·
Anywhere from mid 30's up to/a hair over 50,000 psi.

There have been reports of Handi's breaking the latch with the 500.

#7 ·
the 500 S&W could be done if you wanted to rebate the brass. it likely will need a pistol mag and all that. Its pretty pricy to shoot. the beowulf IS doable the 458 SOCOM is doable the 450 bush master is doable in a AR/AK mag.

there is not a lot of barrel left for a .50 after turning it down to 23 mm for the trunion. the 500 is at least 13mm. the barrel pin gets pretty close to the chamber.

#8 ·
458 SOCOM is still a more preferable choice IMO, considering all the past discussions we've had over these Intermediate calibers and how easy we could get them to work in an AK... especially considering the position Alexander Arms has taken with the reamers.

#13 ·
I cant get on that damm sight any more and it wont let me reregister. Tony at tromix did a 444marlin on the 410 saiga. I bought a 410 to convert some day. the 444 marlin is around 45,000 PSI if i recall correctly.

The AK Forum :: Log in

ok I finaly get to accept the confermation code after litteraly 20 attemps many times no code being provided and now the email asks me to mail or fak them a permission slip signed by my parents to view the site WTF???????? im not a F!@G minnor. on top of it I was already amember there. ERRRRRR. WHY WOULD I SIGN SOMETHING FOR AMINIOR TO VIEW THIS SITE IN THE FIRST PLACE. ??????????? IT ALSO SAYS TO CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATERS IF THERE IS A PROBLEM READING THE CONFERMATION CODE. HOW I NEED TO REGISTER TO GO ANY WERE ON THE SITE.

#14 ·
well I got over there. I like the gas block he did very vice. he threaded the trunion for a barrel like i was sugesting some were. I want to do that for a interchangble barrel set up some day. looks like the guys got some serious machine skills. I would like to see the mag and feed ramp up close. i left a question about how he threaded the trunion and what threads he used.

#15 ·
I do wonder about the safety factor, I have not taken apart a .410 so don't know the lug sizes etc
WELL IM SITTING HERE WITH MY SAIGA 410 APART AND A 270 WSM CASE.

THE LIGS ON THE TRUNION LOOK ABOUT THE SAME AS ANY OTHER AK. I THINK WERE FINE THERE. THE BOLT IS MADE DIFFERANTLY THAN A NORMALL AK IT IS LONGER IN THE BOLT FACE AREA. THE LUGS HOWEVER LOOK AS BIG OR BIGGER THAN A 7.62X39 BOLTS iT LIKES THE THING IS LIKELY AS STRONG AS A 7.62X39 ROMMY. THAT AND THE WORK TROMIX DID WITH THE 444 MARLIN LEADS ME TO THINK THAT THERE IS A LOT OF POTENTIAL HERE. (ALWAYS DID THASTS WHY I BOUGT ONE)

PLAYING WITH THE 270 WSM CASE I NOTICE THAT IT FITS REALLY WELL IN A 223 PRO MAG AND ALSO THE BULGU 223. THE ONE STEEL MAG I HAVE (NOT SURE OF ORIGIN) IS A ;ITTLE DIFFERANT STORY WERE IT NECKS DOWN BUY THE BULLET THE REST OF THE CASE WILL NOT FEED OUT THROUH THAT AREA. IT LOOKS LIKE THAT ARE COULD JUST BE TRIMMED SOME AND IT WOULD WORK FINE.

THE 410 SAGIA IS LOOKING MORE AND MORE APEALING AS ROMMY KITS ARE NOW AROUND $250 AND UP. i BOUGHT MY SAIGA FOR $175 FOR LAST YEAR AT A DEALERS USED. FOR A CONVERSION YOU COULD SELL THE MAG AND RECOUP SOME $$$ AS WELL. THEY HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK. THE WSM RIM IS A FEW THOUSANDS LARGER BUT THERE IS NO RECESSED FACE ON THE BOLT SO A LITTLE FILING ON THE EXTRACTOR WOULD LIKELY DO THE TRICK. GETTING THE MAG FORWARD FAR ENOUGH IN THE TRUNION AND MAKING A BULLET GUDE AND A WAY LATCH IN THE FRONT OFTHE MAG WILL TAKE SOME WORK. IMOA A WSMCASED WILDCAT COULD BE DONE AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WHAT MAY BECOME THE CHEAPEST GAME IN TOWN FOR A PARTS KIT THE 410 SAIGA IS DAEL NOW WHJEN YOU CONSIDER YOU GET A SHOOTABLE GUN FOR AROUND THE PRICE OF A AMD 65 KIT.

#18 ·
I've tried to register on the AK forum for a month...WTF?!?

Ill see see if I can find out any thing over there. as to why its hard to get registerd there.
I still have a hard time when I click on a thread it asks me to log in some times or says the thread does not exist then the next time it pops right up. when I registerd the first time it honesly took me two days of trying to get it to open up correctly and accept the typing of the weird looking code they ask you to type in. I honestly typed the codes in 50 times upper case lower case combination of both ect finaly it just worked. even though I hit the log me in box every time automaticaly most of the time it dosent work. Im not 100% some of it is not due to my system although this site works 100% of the time when I simply open it.

#21 ·
THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN THAT BECAUSE iT TOOK ME TWO DAYS BACK WHEN TO JUST GET PAST THE CODE YOU HAVE TO TYPE IN. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY EMAIL ITS A PAID ADRESS. i HAVE TO LOG IN THERE EVERY TIME AND SOME TIME WHEN I SWITH ON THREADS i HAVE TOE RELOG IN. SOME TIMES I CANT LOG IN FOR QUITE AWILE AS WELL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.