Gunco Forums banner

N.W.T. minister wants polar bear hunt ban reversed

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  upgrayedd 
#1 ·
Bob McLeod is all in favour of protecting Arctic polar bears. But he thinks the Bush administration is being "hypocritical" by trying to do it at the expense of American big game hunters, who spend millions each year seeking polar bear trophies in Canada`s North.

More...

#8 ·
Polar bears thrived back when Greenland was actually green. When the Vikings settled there because they could raise crops and livestock. For Greenland to be green, it had to be much warmer. Back when England was part of the Roman Empire, wine was a product of England. Now it's too cold for good wine grapes, but it wasn't around 100 AD.

The point is that the earth's climate has varied widely before there was industry or even lots of people. Polar bears and other animals survived and thrived.

Tell you what - I'll worry about polar bear territory being threatened when someone settles on Greenland again and raises livestock and crops. Even then, though, my money is on the polar bears adapting just fine. Nature is not the fragile thing everyone claims it to be. Ever heard of feedback systems? If nature were so delicate, feedback would be marginal or even positive. Such systems are unstable - any tip causes them to to wildly out of control. If our climate is so delicate, how come the Little Ice Age didn't cause a major ice age? How come the warming preceding the Little Ice Age (when Greenland was green) didn't cause runaway warming?

Unstable systems cannot last. And our climate has varied - always tending toward a stable medium until the next (often natural) upset, at which point it works back to stability. It is, IMHO, the height of human arrogance to think that we can upset something that has to have been extraordinarily stable to have gotten us to this point in the first place!

#7 ·
well, i usually hunt smaller game for sport(squirrels and rabbits) i hunt big game for sport and for food.(whitetail mostly)
venison tenderloin is the greatest meat ever!
I have a kick-ass recipe for several venison chilis and marinated tenderloin.I've turned several venison 'haters" to this meat.(I'm very proud)lol

#9 ·
I agree with your views on shifting climates being a natural occurrence, but the fact is..the polar bears are endangered. I cannot justify hunting any species for trophy reasons off the face of the earth.

The polar bear lives EXCLUSIVELY IN THAT FROZEN ECOSYSTEM. There is no other place for them to flourish, unless by adapting, you mean putting them in a zoo?
And these changes that you speak so fondly of took place over hundreds of thousands of years.
These are not whitetail deer, or a "nuisance species" and not be handled as such.
While their numbers did double between now and 1960, hunting a species to and beyond extinction is not logical.

#10 ·
those bears seem to thrive in the town dumps in the reagion.

This is a case were the US goverment is trying to controll another countries laws and limit hunting and also firearms in a round about way. What gives the US the right to make policy that affects Canadian laws. Would we like it if they said NO more US cars in Canada because they cause acid rain. what if they banned hunting in the US for its Canadian citizens.
no one is trying to hunt those bears to extinction!!. The US telling me What I can and cant do in other countries is wrong IMOA. to many laws are made by a bunch of wacked out politicaly think there correct nut jobs in this country that skew weather patterns and and climate changes and impact studys to make laws that feel good. the ban on lead ammo in condor areas is another example. not one case of a condor dying from eating lead but we have a law stoping the hunting of small came with lead. the only thing worse than shooting a polar bear is shooting it and leaving it to rot because the US wont let that hunter bring it back to the US. make no mistake about it the bears will still be hunted just not by as many US hunters.

#12 ·
Plese take our bears.

Take them Take them. We will give you all you want.
"North Lake Outpost weekly edition June 26,2008 vol. 30 #7."

Bear attracted human, animal interest tuesday. As it made way through Umatilla Fla.. Photo shows bear being briefly confronted by a loose dog.
"Good doggie ruff"
On oak street next to Umatilla Middle School before crossing to the west and climbing over a fence.

"Problems with bears can be solved if people secure there garbage and by not leaving pet food outside."
Do I go in the forest and steal there berries No. Do I go in the forest and steal there pine cones No.
I'm telling you guys there all over the place. Kill them. Kill them on sight. AHHHHH.
This hairey spotted owl keeps me awake all night. I hate him. Shoot the deer too. Look at the filthy scavangers begging for food.
Did I cry when Bambies mom got killed. Hell no. I was the only one in the theater laughing. Haa Hha. Sorry about your luck Bambi. HAA Hha. I got a little beating for that one. Damn.
Run Bambi run. HAAA Haa Yeah run, well get you later.
Well I did kinda cry a little when "Old Yeller" got it. But that was different.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.