Gunco Forums banner

Do I have an Inch Barrel and Metric Receiver

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bsouthnow 
#1 ·
This is a thread I started on FALfiles and have since found a bit more information here in the archives. My question is, do I have an inch barrel and metric receiver and can I use it by using a breeching washer????
Thanks in advance.
Hey Guys and Gals;
I'm starting my first FAL build and need a bit of help. I've looked in the archives and found several answers but not knowing if I'm asking the correct question, well, I'm still lost. Forgive me if this horse has been beaten to death.
I purchased a 58 kit from another member, purchased a new Green Mountain barrel and an entreprise receiver (didn't want to wait on a DSA). When I screw the new barrel in it bottoms out on the inside of the frame and leaves about a .060 gap from the outside of the frame to the barrel shoulder. This is a metric build if that makes any difference. The old barrel times out at about 11:00 but it also looks like it's contacting the inside of the receiver. Is this where breeching washers come into play? I don't want to remove metal from the breech face because it is already finished.
I've built several AK's, AK pistols, many 1911's (custom work), AR's and worked on just about every gun ownded by my neighbors on the "when you have time" ticket. I have a hobby metal shop with lathes, mills even a small cnc machine.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Bill
PS. I have pictures but this board won't allow me to post them for whatever reason!!! (I can here!) And in the last picture, what is this gizmo. It looks like it's pressed in and is not on my Receiver blank that I want to finish as another project.

As ususal, thanks again.
Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes you can use the barrel. The inch barrels have the shoulder set back just a little bit to allow for the use of a washer. If everything is correct generally you can put a metric barrel on an inch receiver and use no breaching washer. As you are finding out though if you put a inch barrel on a metric receiver, but you'll need the breaching washer. You have to use whatever gas system the barrel is though.

In the bottom photo the receiver is missing the locking shoulder. That is what the back of the bolt rests against to stop rearward movent and it sets your headspace so they are available in different sizes.

#4 ·
Thanks Guys;
I kinda feel that once I get my head around this build, it will be be impossible. I'm just afraid that I'll turn into a falaholic instead of an akaholic. These damn things are expensive to build as compared to an AK even with today's prices. But, hell, I'll need at least three to fit in the safe around all those AK's. Gawd, I still love this country!!!
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.