Gunco Forums banner

Saiga 12 intrafuse stock system

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Zoo9guy 
#1 ·
Is this a viable option to spending money on having mine converted to a PG?

Thoughts?

Is there anyone here that will do a Saiga 12 Conversion? How much. I already have the parts.

thanks, just trying to compare.
Cope's Distributing

#2 ·
I wish I had a nickel for every time this question is asked.

1) Can you change the oil in your car?

2) Have you had wood or metal shop in high school?

3) Do you own a drill?

If you answered 'yes' to any of the above, you are qualified to convert your own Saiga.

It is about as difficult as opening a newfangled plastic blister pack.

YOU DO NOT WANT any stock that just bolts on. The balance will be way off and you'll tire of it quickly and start bad mouthing all of us who have balanced functional conversions.

#5 ·
I wish I had a nickel for every time this question is asked.

1) Can you change the oil in your car?

2) Have you had wood or metal shop in high school?

3) Do you own a drill?

If you answered 'yes' to any of the above, you are qualified to convert your own Saiga.

It is about as difficult as opening a newfangled plastic blister pack.

YOU DO NOT WANT any stock that just bolts on. The balance will be way off and you'll tire of it quickly and start bad mouthing all of us who have balanced functional conversions.

thanks for the answer,i think.
yeah, i can change my own oil but this is obviously not a car and requires more than just a drill and good luck for someone that has never attempted this before.
I'd wager that this advice is coming from someone that has a garage full of machine tools and years of home gunsmithing experience?

i dont feel comfortable doing metal work on a $600 firearm with no metalworking experience,"harry homeowner' power tools and the advice of a surly internet guru. i applaud you for your experience and comfort in this arena,but i will not take the chance of mauling a perfectly good weapon just so that i can say that i moved the fcg myself.
i would rather pay someone that i trust to do this so that i dont fuck it up.
i'll be sure to steer clear of the intrafuse stock,though

#7 ·
Up, I completely feel your pain! My very first AK conversion was my PRE-BAN Norinco converted to use a Russian folding stock! That was a really high pucker factor, because way back then I had a drill press, some cheap drill bits, and I had just bought this tool called a "dremel". :D

Chin up, you can do it if you really want to. There are a few things to remember when you're doing it, and if you go slow and "measure twice, cut once", you should be able to figure out everything you would need to.

-----

That said, let me comment on that stock!

I held one of those in my hands at the gun show yesterday.... OBSERVATIONS:

It felt solid. It was not "flimsy" like those other Tapco buttstocks. The sheer size of the parts make up for any deficiency of the plastic composite material. It won't be near any hot part on the rifle, so it should have no problem with heat. It felt like the same high-heat resistant material that my fancy kitchen utensils were made of. I think it had a fiber mix in the material...it felt like other fiber-infused objects I've handled. But not like fiberglass. Much lighter.

It felt like it would work well with any AR-style buttstock you wanted to put on it. It would give someone unwilling to jump into the deep end of the pool a pistol-grip conversion without worrying about a really long pull.

Will it stand up to bashing in a wood door with your buttstock? I don't know. I would not hesitate to use one of those for the kind of shooting anyone on these forums will do. ;)

YMMV.

#13 ·
Is it worth it?

Hi UP,

Two thought here:

1. The Tapco product you see requires nothing in terms of work. An hour tops and you are shooting lots of expensive 12Ga. There is a lot to be said for that.

2. Any fool with a screw driver can do that. What do you WANT as a finished weapon? That makes your decision. Not time, money, or ease of this or that. Decide what you want, then DO IT.

Bellson:headbang:

#14 ·
I myself am looking for a tuff as nails folder never fogot a e -6 in SF tell during a riot he hit this big buck XXXXXXX in the head and his car stock imploded buffer parts went flying all over the parade grounds heh heh any way I m looking for a tuff unit that this will not happen too. anyone know I want metal maybe steel and a folder ace might due sop mod comes to mind too well looking for input

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.