Gunco Forums banner

Need Advice

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Wildgoose 
#1 ·
Hello All,
This is my first post over here on the AR side. I have a good friend and his son who are new to shooting and want to pick up a basic AR15 for range shooting. I believe that they will doing most of thier shooting at 100yds bench and off hand. They are not into reloading so it will be with commercialy
availble ammo. I am into old milsurp and AK platform stufff so I was not able to really give them any good recomendations on what to buy. Lots of choices out there. So, if any of you could give me some tips on a good basic set up for a complete factory rifle that would make a good starter I would like to pass them on to these guys. It does not need to be tricked out and the best bang for the buck would help keep the intro price ticket as low as possible. Once they get one and start shooting I am sure they will be adding options and looking for diffrent upper assemblies and such. I am not going to warn them about the new addiction they are about to develop.:naughty:

#2 ·
Best to stick with as close to true milspec as possible. CMMG has some nice hardware as does LMT and Bravo Company. Bushie is ok but mine has always had a tight mag well. I would stay clear of Olympic arms personally. Not sure what the best bang for the buck is at the moment but the ones listed above provide good quality equipment.

Slugger

#4 ·
+1
Colt is the closest to 'mil spec' with their model 6920 being the best AR you can buy (i.e. closest to our military M4, sans full auto trigger group). LMT, Bravo Company, Sabre and CMMG are all good to go too. The difference that separates these manufacturers from commercial ones (Bushmaster, Rock River, Stag, DPMS) is in the quality of materials used paired with top notch quality control and rigorous testing of parts.

#5 ·
Thanks for the information gentlemen. I have passed it along to my friends and hope it will help them make a choice. Helping them out with this project has given me a new found respect and interest in the AR platform. So many ways to go and not just a few calibers to choose form these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.