Gunco Forums banner

Got a New Toy, the AR 57 upper.

13K views 64 replies 17 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I bit the bullet and bought a AR 57 upper from Cope's. I have it mounted on my Bushy Lower receiver for now. I will be taking it to the range on Monday and I will post a range report with pictures. Has anyone else shot one of these yet? If so let me know what you think of the upper and what optics/ buis that you are using.
Thanks,:mchngun:
will6970

#9 ·
Nalioth

Hey Nalioth,
Good to hear from you! You bet I will post some pictures. I will post some before and after of the targets, the rifle inside and out etc. Let me just say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with the quality of this upper, it feels rock solid and if it performs as well as I think it will you gents might want to pick one up before....well you know.... Take care man! I will talk to you later.
will6970 :rockin:

#6 ·
I shot my friends AR57 conversion two weeks ago. It was accurate and fun to shoot. He just had the factory iron sights so I don't know what the accuracy potential was. It seemed to me that the low recoil would be a terrific compliment to someone who had a registered F/A lower. It functioned flawlessly and the design ranked way up there on the "cool factor".

#8 ·
Yeah no kidding about re-loading, I re-load for every caliber I have and a few that I hope to have some day. One problem is finding load data for the 5.7 x 28 useing some of the various powders. If you have any known charge data please let me know.
Many Thanks,
will6970

#25 ·
THERE IS NONE - JUST SEND ME THE BRASS.

lol

Here you go - check my site under the section "RELOADING UPDATE"

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/P90/p90.htm

Those are the only two published sources FROM THE COMPONENT MFR that I have seen published as of right now. I expect other sources to provide more data as this cartridge becomes more widely used here in the US of A.

#11 ·
OK BOYS, YOU ASKED FOR IT.....

Ok Guys,
Here we go..pictures of the AR 57 in detail...If I can get the URLS to upload...I will post the range report in about an hour, for now here is some eye candy. Also FYI I just uploaded all these imagages to my gallery if you want to see larger imagages. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
will6970
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

#14 ·
GI JOES AR 57 heeheehee.......lol....

Hey Gunny,
I think this is the only model they make right now other than the upper with the fluted barrel. But Yup I did take some liberties with the ATN sight and the tactical fore grip and green laser. So GI JOE IT IS....(I Like That!)..lol.
To tell you the truth I put the foregrip on there because the picatinny upper did not come with any rubber rail covers, and the green laser well that is just for fun....Wait till I get the BUIS sights I got in our classified section, at least then I will have some iron sights...lol.

I have to tell you though in all honesty at the range the other day with the ATN holo-sight I was repeatedly shooting 1 to 1 1/2 inch at 25 yards in 5 shot strings dead center of the 10 ring. At 50 yards I was sure that the groupings would open up, man was I wrong, they stayed just as tight and some were a little smaller.(I will post pictures of the range and targets tomorrow), I attribute this to the almost impreceptable recoil impulse that this round produces.

The manufacturer claims that this rifle runs very cool, as compared to the AR15 impinged gas system, and they were not kidding, the rifle stayed very cool which also helps with accuracy, and the amount of cleaning that I had to do after 200 rounds was minimal. I think it took me all of 5 minutes to field strip it and clean the entire upper.

The fit and finnish is superior! The Phosphate finish is excellent and the color matches all my Mil-spec lowers. Utimatley this upper will be going on a DPMS lower with a six posistion Pardus stock, which should be here on Friday of this week. I will post some more pictures once I get this GI Joe rifle set up in its finnal configuration.
Thanks,
will6970 :cheers:

#17 ·
Howdy Gunny

Hey Gunny,
Yes I shot it, I put 200 rounds of the Hornady 40 grn down range. I did not notice any damage to the magazine, however I have been told by a few people to be carful with these magazines as they don't take kindly to being dropped, (but then again who or what does?). As to the buffer, it looks like an all steel version of a short CAR buffer. It is really heavy for its size. You are going to have some fun with this rifle. Drop me a line when yours comes in and we can compare notes.
will6970 :cheers:

#29 ·
pinned in.

mine has developed an "annoying habit" of shooting 3 or 4 then 1 then 3 or 4 then 1.......... hmmmmmmmmmm

could be the lower i guess.

#33 ·
guess it was just "dirty"??? took it apart, cleaned it all good, lubed it and went out and put another 2 mags thru (100rnds) and it was just fine..

funny as this is clean ammo. this thing is a blast to play with. just gotta find cheaper ammo for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.