Gunco Forums banner

Source for 80% Recivers And Tools?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  turpinb 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good Source?

#6 ·
80% FAL

well

I put ad out on every single gun website and got 4 replys. this was last year, I bought three of the four and sold one. this left me with two, they are both 70% as there are no true 80%. these are difficult for the beginner or even a proficient builder. with time, patience,skill and desire it can be done.
a milling machine helps though I did one without one. beside drills and files you need taps and plans i used the plans floating around and photocopied them to scale and used them as templates. the taps come from companies that sell through grainger. I cut the rails with a dremel. I bought the headspace gauges from brownells. the barrel vise I got from falfiles and the wrench is a flat jaw plumbers wrench.
I saw one receiver on sturm the other day its over $100.00 I paid $ 35-40 for mine
my build info is here with pic's I am a little surprised I didn't get a PM on this as all the others who have attempt this have contacted me. there are two others who have done this build but they used a milling machine

sprat

#8 ·
Sprat1,
Did you happen to find a source for any 0% FAL forgings/castings?

I have milling machine and have a few firearms milling projects queued up (ar15 lower, upper, free float tube, 1911 frame and slide, and M14 receiver) I was hoping I could locate some FAL receiver castings before any sort of restrictions come into place during obama's administration. I have found G3 upper receiver flats that just get pressed into shape, but the rest of the rifle is fairly expensive to put together (~$450 for a FMP kit). So if you could point me in the direction of FAL castings/forgings or a cheaper G3 kit, I'd much apreciate it. Thanks.

If anyone needs sources for those castings I'm working on:
DS arms for ar15 lower and upper
sarco for M14, 1911

#9 ·
The ATF has already banned the Century FAL castings as being "too complete". I don't know why but it might be that they have a magwell and barrel hole. No trigger/hammer pin holes are required as they are in the lower. I remember when Canada used to consider the FAL lower the firearm but now also the upper. All of the fire control parts are in the lower. If the upper didn't hold the magazine I bet the lower would have been the firearm in the US like the AR15. A functional firearm could be made as blow back and no locking shoulder and the top cover isn't required. That means it might be able to fire a round by adding a couple of bolt rail grooves or even less. Anyway the ATF shutdown the FAL castings.

#11 ·
castings

yes the mag hole is open to the exact dimensions, the barrel hole is not and requires a good deal of work all the rails need to be cut and the receiver itself is not drop in it requires it to be shortened, holes needed to be drilled are the ejector holes and the hole for mating the lower

phillip
please send me a PM

sprat

#16 ·
Check with Tapco. They used to sale the 80% receiver castings. They no longer advertise them but you might call them and ask. They might have a couple in the warehouse. If you do manage to get your hands on one, don't rely on the photocopied prints that are floating around. I am currently machining a couple of castings and the prints are very incomplete. You will need to get your hands on an actual functional receiver and reverse it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.