Gunco Forums banner

HK 53K from a HK 33 Kit?

9K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  dunn6902 
#1 ·
Hi, I remember seeing a build thread on a 51K made from a G3 kit.Could a 53K pistol be made from one of the HK33 cut barrel kits and 53 flats being sold now?There are a few issues I want to figure out before I get a kit,like will I need a different locking piece and can I buy a cocking tube or will I have to modify the one in the kit. - Thanks in advance

#2 ·
If you get a HK33 kit with cut barrel you are good to go, The 33 cut barrel is long enough to make into a 53 barrel. Or you can get a kit with out the barrel and buy a 53 US made barrel from several resources.

The locking piece from a 33 kit is the same for a 53 (both are 223). This is what I have been told by multiple sources.

The 33 cocking tube can be modified to be used on a 53 (this is the cheapest way to go and hardest if you don't know what your doing) or there are HK parts suppliers who have 53 cocking tubes, and they're not cheap.

I'm working on this same build right now and from my research the parts that need to be modified are:

Bolt carrier - shortened
Recoil spring assy - shortened
Cocking tube support - shortened
Triple frame support coolar - needs to be made and added to barrel.

Here is a link with a 93 to 53 build pics. 9353.htm

You can also talk with gilliebear here on the site he has done some of these builds and is very knowledgeable when it comes to HK convertions.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the manual and the advice.I'm looking to build an even shorter k version,like the picture of the MP-5KPDW picture in your MP-5 thread but in .223 and without the vertical grip.I read that you had to modify your MP-5 reciever to make it work.I also read in a the older hk51 clone thread that the 51 needed a #18 locking piece because of the short barrel and decreased backpressure.I'd like to find out if this applys the the .223 as well.I guess what I'm looking to build would be an SP-89 in .223.

#6 ·
The more I've been looking into it the more simple it looks to build. The welding would probably be the hardest part if you didn't have that equipment of skill.
Everything else can be done with hand tools if you take your time.

The only other part I can see is finding the demensions and specs to the parts that need to be shortened. I haven't been about to find any of that info.

#7 ·
The more I've been looking into it the more simple it looks to build. The welding would probably be the hardest part if you didn't have that equipment of skill.
Everything else can be done with hand tools if you take your time.

The only other part I can see is finding the demensions and specs to the parts that need to be shortened. I haven't been about to find any of that info.

That's what I've been looking for.I can use an SP-89 handgrip to determine the barrel length before cutting it.My friend has a lathe so once I remove the reciever section he could probably chuck it up trunion and all to cut and crown the barrel.I read that sometimes you actually have to lenghten the bolt carrier for a shorter gun so it will cycle a round from the magazine.The reciever and cocking tube dimensions would be real helpful since trial and error cutting could get expensive.I'm getting ahead of myself since I still need to get a kit but I like to have as much info as possible before laying out any cash.

This is what I'm looking for.If anyone has a picture of the other side could they post it.Obviously this one would be a class 3 but it would only be a $5 tax stamp.

Attachments

#8 ·
Break down so far for my HK53 build

HK33 parts kit $300 - Apex
HK53 barrel (new US made) $175 - Rim Country
HK33 flat (New US made) $159 weld kit $25 - HKparts
HK MP5 forearm (US made) $30 off gunbroker
HK 53 #3 locking piece for 62 grain bullets $50 gunbroker
Total so far is $739

Everything else should be modified from the HK33 parts kit......i think

#10 ·
My 33 kit will be here tomorrow according to UPS tracking number so I will post some pics.

Ya if you could get a already cut 33 barrel for cheap that would be a great way to save a little $$

#14 ·
Kit looked good, barrel was completely removed and any part with a serial number actually matched. The cocking tube and other parts were once painted black but now the paint was coming off.

I'll try to get pics up tonight. I have limited internet from were I'm at for the holidays.

All in all the kit was in good condition and nice.

#16 ·
I got my kit from apex and my flat is on the way.I also found a trunion with the stub still in it to simplify things.Does anyone know of a thread somewhere on the correct way to shorten a cocking tube,especialy for the very short 'K' models.I also need to find out how to use the paddle mag release with the semi shelf that I will have to weld into the reciever.I can't seem to find anything on either.One more problem that I will need to address is the correct locking piece.I have been told that they depend on barrel length as well as caliber.This seems to be very doable but there is a lack of information on them for some reason.

#17 ·
To install the paddle mag release, you have to drill a blind undersized hole in the shelf. Install the lower housing and centerpunch the exact center of the forward mounting hole. Drill a 1/8" hole through the shelf, stopping before it goes all the way through. Make a bushing to sleeve the paddle mag release so the 1/8" pin will fit properly, many people use a MIG welder tip. Install the paddle with a 1/8" pin driven slightly below flush, then weld over the end making it a permanent installation.

Depending on the shelf used, you may have to machine a slot in it to clear the paddle release. Do not put any holes in the receiver until after the shelf is welded on.

#18 ·
To install the paddle mag release, you have to drill a blind undersized hole in the shelf. Install the lower housing and centerpunch the exact center of the forward mounting hole. Drill a 1/8" hole through the shelf, stopping before it goes all the way through. Make a bushing to sleeve the paddle mag release so the 1/8" pin will fit properly, many people use a MIG welder tip. Install the paddle with a 1/8" pin driven slightly below flush, then weld over the end making it a permanent installation.

Depending on the shelf used, you may have to machine a slot in it to clear the paddle release. Do not put any holes in the receiver until after the shelf is welded on.

Thanks Kernel,I can sort of picture what your talking about but I'll have to wait for the shelf and the flat to see exactly.I'm not sure if I'm going to put a paddle on it but I know if I don't the first person who sees it will ask me why I didn't.You know how that goes,if I tell them it's a pain they say it's easy even if they never did it before.

#24 ·
I know this is an old thread, and I am new here, but I have been reading the threads here for a while and this is about as close to finding the info I am looking for, so here goes nothing.

I am in the middle of a '33 build, have the kit completely demilled and the flat is bent. I am waiting to get together with my buddies who are also building HK's to weld and finish the rifles. I know building an other one is not out of my realm of ability.

I want a '53 pistol, not a "K", until I can get a tax stamp for it. I am considering popping for an other '33 kit while they are still available and reasonably priced, but I want to know what I am getting myself into with a '53 conversion before I do. I know I will need a '53 barrel, but I can't seem to find the info on what and how to modify the remaining parts from the kit. I am not opposed to spending money on things like a proper '53 cocking tube, but a '53 bolt group makes this build a bit to pricey for me.

In doing some searching over the last few days, I have found people saying that a '33 bolt group will work in a '53, but I am not sure how that would happen unless you cut the cocking support tube way down. If you can in fact do this, then all I should need for this conversion is a barrel, cocking tube, and hand guard, right?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

Ed

#29 ·
Pics??

#33 ·
Looks good Dunn!! Me likes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.