Gunco Forums banner

pps43

7K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  jungp 
#1 ·
Thinking of doing a pps43 build. Gunthings.com has kits with barrels for $155.
What is the deal with the trunnion on this kit? Will I need to buy a trunnion? They have one for sale on the same site for $65. I think Will try to build it with an ak fcg.

#2 ·
yes you will need a trunion, reciver flat (gunthings), and some time with a file or mill to remove the FA part of the bolt. there are prints on diffrent forms for the trunion and reciver. it is not a easy build but it can be done. most builds are now using reminton 870 fcg for easy 922r count. but some have tried the AK fcg and I have not found a " yes with a AK fcg" and working yet. muttman

#15 ·
yes you will need a trunion, reciver flat (gunthings), and some time with a file or mill to remove the FA part of the bolt. there are prints on diffrent forms for the trunion and reciver. it is not a easy build but it can be done. most builds are now using reminton 870 fcg for easy 922r count. but some have tried the AK fcg and I have not found a " yes with a AK fcg" and working yet. muttman
I use AK fcg on my PPS-43 in 7.62 and 9x19 builds. However, AK FCG will not work with original lower. It's too high. I use AK- receiver as my lower. Also I use a tube instead of repair section from Wise Lite.

Easiest build is the PPS-43 bolt with Suomi barrel and drum. I can make it extremely reliable.

EDITED TO ADD:
You can only use double hook since you will have to cut off one of the trigger catch on the hammer since it interferes with the ejector/spring guide.

#3 ·
You can make your own trunnion but it will require a lathe, a mill would help also. You also need a little formed sheetmetal "link" that fastens the upper to the lower, usually included with the commercial trunnions but it doesn't look too difficult to make yourself. Besides the flats, at least one company makes a pre-fromed upper repair channel, no holes but it is already curved into shape. Looks like it would be a lot easier than trying to roll the flat around a pipe to form it.

#8 ·
All,
I have started on the link ( working on 3 0f 4 now, buddy build) the trunion will be the easy part, bending a flat wont be to bad. the hard part for me is the fcg (gain 3 922 parts). I would like to use an AK fcg but have not found a good cut here, drill this size, type of how too. this has me leary of this build. I was thinking of cutting off the mag well and making a lower to use with the AK fcg like the one progect guns made using the AR fcg has some body given this a thought? muttman

#4 ·
hi,i am going to try same deal,onley i got great deal on GB put will still need same suplies military suplley is a good sorce also googled pps 43 and got alot back on lt of parts- and info on building one--remington trigger group seems to be the way to go--good luck dave locke ps:there are compleat tuterals out there

#5 ·
I found an article in Shotgun News about building the PPS43 unfortunately I got part 2 and don't have part 1. I haven't read the article but I skimmed that they were using AK parts instead of Remington 870 FCG. Does anyone know where I can hook up with a copy of part 1?

#7 ·
I found an article in Shotgun News about building the PPS43 unfortunately I got part 2 and don't have part 1. I haven't read the article but I skimmed that they were using AK parts instead of Remington 870 FCG. Does anyone know where I can hook up with a copy of part 1?
If it was within the last five years or so, I have it .Issues prior to that are scattered all over S.W. Florida. Now finding it................................ :bye2:Give me a date & I'll look for you.
Brad

#6 ·
Check the link to Weapons Guild & look for PPS 43 you'l like what you find there

#9 ·
I have

I have built several of them if ya go the AK FCG route you'll need a double hook one as you will have to cut off a hook closest to the return spring for it to clear You will also need to cut the hammer & re-weld it as it will hit the top of the receiver in its travel to hit the back of the Bolt

For a receiver the cloest to original ones are Sten parts & Little Rhodey's from Weaponsguild. Home & yes the trunnion & bracket are needed. stenparts gives the braket free with there receivers & liitle rhodey sells a trunnion as well for alot less than the others out there tell them Rocco sent ya :)

#11 ·
after looking over the new SGN and the pps41 fcg I think I can mod an AK fcg to fit in a pps43. does not look that hard just a time eater. muttman

Just remember that the height of the hammer in the lower will hit the top inside of the receiver when you close the top cover if ya don't cut & reduce the hammer size.

#17 ·
The barrel, unless registered as an SBR (US only, dependent on your state laws, etc, etc, etc.) must be at least 16" including any non-removable muzzle accessories. Non-removable means welded, blind pin, or hi temp silver solder (with a flow temp over 1125 F.) Otherwise you cannot legally have it... a barrel shroud does not count... not that Carolyn McCarthy would be able to tell the difference.

So in short, unless you get a tax stamp to make an SBR, you cannot assemble a PPS-43 as a rifle without a 16" barrel. You can however remove the underfolding stock or weld it in the closed position so that you in effect have a PPS-43 pistol.

Mark

#21 ·
i'm doing a intial run thru on the pps kit i just got.i'm 99% sure the mag well got bent or crushed somehow,but visibly i cant tell.when i put a mag in ,it requires ALOT of force & removal is twice as hard.i've tried all 4 mags,all the same result.is there a way to fix the well without doing further damage?this question is probably gonna sound retarded, but what is used to get the black finish?seems to be too thin & comes off too easy to be paint or powdercoat.in regards to the barrel needing to be 16",i'm suprised i havent seen the solution i thought up to not dramatically change the appearance.buy a 16"+ barrel & if you have a extra shroud cut out a section & add it to the one you will use,or just find the same type of steel and fabricate a extension section. i heard that a 50+ year old gun can be put into the c&r category.to be honest i have no clue as to what that category entails legality wise.i would think it would allow the weapon to be kept in its original state,not having to worry about full auto fire.i'm tryin to figure out the legal bs to comply as much as possible,does the parts count/limit apply to these?in ct law i read something about assault rifles having to be full auto not select or semi.fed & local law just seem to contradict each other.i wish this legal shit was as easy as car mods.atleast on a car i can make something look legal even though its far from it,like using a dummy cat with a straight pipe hidden inside.this stuff is supposed to be fun not aggravating due to stupid laws that must be complied to.i coulda sworn shall not be infringed meant not changed or limited at all.

#23 ·
i'm doing a intial run thru on the pps kit i just got.i'm 99% sure the mag well got bent or crushed somehow,but visibly i cant tell.when i put a mag in ,it requires ALOT of force & removal is twice as hard.i've tried all 4 mags,all the same result.is there a way to fix the well without doing further damage?this question is probably gonna sound retarded, but what is used to get the black finish?seems to be too thin & comes off too easy to be paint or powdercoat.in regards to the barrel needing to be 16",i'm suprised i havent seen the solution i thought up to not dramatically change the appearance.buy a 16"+ barrel & if you have a extra shroud cut out a section & add it to the one you will use,or just find the same type of steel and fabricate a extension section. i heard that a 50+ year old gun can be put into the c&r category.to be honest i have no clue as to what that category entails legality wise.i would think it would allow the weapon to be kept in its original state,not having to worry about full auto fire.i'm tryin to figure out the legal bs to comply as much as possible,does the parts count/limit apply to these?in ct law i read something about assault rifles having to be full auto not select or semi.fed & local law just seem to contradict each other.i wish this legal shit was as easy as car mods.atleast on a car i can make something look legal even though its far from it,like using a dummy cat with a straight pipe hidden inside.this stuff is supposed to be fun not aggravating due to stupid laws that must be complied to.i coulda sworn shall not be infringed meant not changed or limited at all.
Just make sure you build closed bolt not open bolt. You should be OK as far as full auto intent. C&R would not apply.
Can't make full auto unless you have tax and license.

#22 ·
Not Legal Advice: CHECK WITH A LAWYER, DON'T RELY ON THIS POST! I AM NOT A LAWYER.

Don't kill the messenger here, but I have bad news for you:

1. YOU CANNOT BUILD ANYTHING FULL AUTO UNLESS YOU ARE AN FFL07.

Period. Doesn't matter. You cannot build the receiver for this gun... The only way to get a full auto weapon is to have an original receiver that was properly registered prior to the 1968 CGA or registered legally prior to under the 1986 act when manufactured.

2. If you want a gun to be a C&R gun, that does not exempt it from the 1934 NFA. So even so, you would have to have it registered on a form 4. You cannot build a new receiver for all the old parts. Yes, it sucks, but a C&R gun must be in it's original configuration with it's original parts. No getting around it, any new or replacement parts can bump it out of C&R status, although the ATF is the final arbiter of this.

3. If you want a Full Auto Firearm, it will cost you. You can legally purchase fully automatic firearms, but you will need to get the appropriate paperwork, find an affordable weapon (starting at $3k and up), and wait several months for the ATF to process your paperwork. Don't get caught trying to build your own fully automatic firearm, 10 years in jail and a $250k fine are amongst the sentancing options. <- This is a bad thing!!!

4. With regard to the barrel. If you build it without a stock, it is legally a pistol. Check your local and state laws before building ANYTHING. If you use the short barrel and the stock you will need to file a form 1 and register it as a short barreled rifle, which may not be legal in your state. The ATF will not approve any form 1 that would be illegal in your state. There is a $200 tax to build a short barrel rifle.

Good luck

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.