Gunco Forums banner

Suppressor; Rifle work

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  upgrayedd 
#1 ·
I think I understand what needs to happen to the barrel ends of both my .17HM2 and .22lr rifles so that they accept a threaded "can".

What happens since my .17 Marlin has a bull barrel? What happens when I dont want to use the can(I cant imagine when that would happen, but...)?

Will the threads be protected with a "cap"?

#2 ·
I'm sure whoever threads your barrels could make you a thread protector. If the threads are a standard type you should also be able to just put a muzzle brake on it while the suppressor is off.

#3 ·
Yup, correct you are. I just got off the phone with a gunsmith and he told me the same.
MY issue is whether or not to SHORTEN the OAL of the barrel on the .17?
I realize that the silencer will not make much of a noise suppression diff on this rifle (since the .17 is supersonic AND that this silencer is NOT specifically made for the .17 round)...so should I even bother to fool with it?
I may just get the .22 shortened first and see how I like it...?

How short can the smith take it down?

#4 ·
I partly answered my own Question because I remembered that the model 60 has a non detachable feed tub magazine under most of the length of the main barrel.
So it wouldnt behoove me to shorten this barrel at all..?

And although a can would look cool on the .17, I wonder if the benefits would outweight the risks of fooling with a nice looking, great shooting rifle..for minimum sound reduction..?
Henry at SWR said that there would be a noticeable difference WITH the can versus NO CAN.
I'm sure that the sound reduction is not going to be nearly as substantial as that of the .22lr with sub rounds...

#5 ·
If it was me I'd sell the marlin 60 and get a 10/22. You can buy a threaded barrel for it and besides it would be a major pita to have to take off the suppressor off every time you reload the model 60.

#7 ·
Cans reduce the sound of the expanding gases exiting the bbl. Even supersonic rounds will have the sound of the shot reduced, there will just be the little mini sonic boom downrange from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. To get an idea, just shoot the .22 with supersonic rounds, the .17 should sound similar. Then decide if it's worth it for the .17.

#8 ·
Def not worth it, especially when the rifle is darn near PERFECT the way it is..
Call it being subjective, but I always thought that the report from a .17mach2 and .22lr were almost the same?....Sorry, I mean the decibel level? I never use ears with centerfire cartridges(unless it is a revolver).
So if that is the case, I'll spend some of the money on a boyds evolution barrel and a trigger job..possibly parking the finish instead of that ugly blueing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.