Gunco Forums banner

POWER

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SJgunguy24 
#1 ·
I have been doing some searching and cannot find a riflescope more powerful than 40x. Does anyone know of any more powerful? How did the Canadian sniper hit his target at over a mile with a (40x +/- ?) scope, even with several shots?! I use a 10-40x50 Osprey International (and I love it!) on a .308 at a life size steel sheep target at 550-600 yds. and it is hard to place a heart/lung kill shot. So how do the snipers hit man size targets with surgical precision at greater distances? I know that my 43 year old eyes have recently changed (for the worse!) but Damn!

#2 ·
Magnification that great would really require a good hold on the rifle, wiggling all around, and finding your target would be hard as heck with the tiny FOV.

I'd assume most of them use scopes around 10X and just deal with the targets being little. Maybe use a spotting scope to see the enemy, and aim for a position near a large object. Something like in the lower left of the window in some house they see someone with a spotting scope so they fire at the lower left corner of the window hoping to hit something.

#5 ·
I really don't think the power of the optic is the key factor on a shot like that. I'm more inclined to think the clarity of the optics, having a spotter who is Sniper qualified, and knowing exactly what your bullet will do at extended ranges matters more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.