Gunco Forums banner

M1A1 SA= sdk1968 style

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  ace_31 
#1 · (Edited)
its been talked about a lot and here is a pic and the short video for those who asked. :D

yes im planning on sending this one in for review and approval. its met everything they asked for and a few extras from our phone conversations. the complete build thread is at weaponsguild.

if you got any questions i'll do my best to answer them.

sdk

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you very much!

good news for me is ive stayed in constant contact with them and documented and photo'd everything the way they asked...

and yes ive got a "editor" to do my write up & documents so that my hillbilly english doesnt offend them, LOL (even though they are right in West Virginia about 3 hours away from my house.) he's already gotten 3 approvals on his stuff so his format is solid.

while id like to get an approval on this, i dont really need it for a home build... its just for braggin rights. :)

#10 ·
thanks to all you guys!

555th: bro you can shoot this or the 28 conversion anytime you want to hook up with me for a shoot... we just keep missing each other.

4thidvet: no it doesnt HAVE to have an approval its just for braggin rights as everyone tells me it cant be done. LOL

the barrel is standard length and thats why its done as a pistol build... im too cheap for the SBR stamp.

#13 ·
Yes. I get the books from the ATF. Read the library and I am still confused about that stuff. Sucks getting old. :)
But I guess the weapon has a 16 inch barrel. So would dutigaf not be able to just call it a rifle. Confused here. :dunno:

#14 · (Edited)
Looks like he is using the original SMG bbl, which is around 10.5" IIRC. Would be an SBR if the stock was attached. He is seeking approval for the semi auto conversion.

BTW, ATF has apparently issued conflicting "no way to attach a stock" letters or people are just assuming that requirement. All the letters I have read said no buttstock, attachment means were never mentioned. In fact, one states that a standard unmodified CAR15 or M4 style buffer tube could be used on an AR15 based pistol build so long as the sliding stock section was not present or possessed by the owner.

ETA: Found it:

http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG

#16 ·
wow you guys are fast!!

ok where to start...

the one part im not sure of is the SBR law... since i made this as a pistol im not sure i can go back later and make it a SBR. it states in there somewhere that if built as a pistol it has to stay one ... doesnt it?

555th and 4th: ah you glossed over my post.. :) YES the stock attachment points have been welded over and there is NO WAY to attach the stock with out violating the "intent" part of the law. same as any other pistol build.

if you wanna break the law you could attach one by welding new mounting lugs on there. just like any of the ak trunny's or sub gun conversions.

yeah ive got the book too and like you guys a lot of times its confusing on purpose so that they can make the ruling apply to however they want at the time.

as mentioned earlier: every single thing they asked for is done on this build and the 28a1 build...... but they could still deny it just because they want to, ive already seen that happen to a friends submission.

good news is we seem to be getting lots of things approved right now!

nitegunners zk383
greg clarks m56 & soumi
tebesco's aurora faux supressor

all of these are approved in the last year plus PIrate has several things, so its not looking bad for my attempt. time will tell.

any questions on the build itself? lol

#19 ·
Kernel,

ok so i can still send in for an SBR after its been built, if some money "turns up" without the wife knowing it.... and just weld on a new set of lugs?

thanks!

Coils: i'll answer any questions you have right here. just didnt want to do a "live link to another forum".

#20 ·
I hope you get approval, I know you have put a ton of work into the 28 & M1A1
I remember when people scoffed on other boards when you first started. Victory is
sweet, and I personally want to thank you and all the builders who contribute to
this board in there various builds.

#21 · (Edited)
thanks for the compliment!

my entire goal is to make this an AFFORDABLE & DEPENDABLE version of the tommy that the regular homebuilding crowd can have/do..

that ruffles a few feathers here and there. LOL

final edit and change:

after several people advising me that it would probably not get approval as a pistol with just the lugs welded up and not removed.......

ive taken their advice and went back and removed the lugs completely & then took a spare swivel and welded it onto the lower and added in the sling.

it looks pretty cool this way and even further proves that its a "pistol only" :-*

#22 ·
my entire goal is to make this an AFFORDABLE & DEPENDABLE version of the tommy that the regular homebuilding crowd can have/do..
that ruffles a few feathers here and there. LOL
Your goal can be achieved, but you did such a great job on this one you should SBR it. :lol:

#24 ·
Coils: yeah i know and if the extra $$$ was around id do it...

Kernel: nice rig! im too poor for even the SBR let alone a fancy rig like that!

#26 ·
thank you very much.

no its not cobbled together and the original set up for it is my 1928a1 semi conversion thats here on the site also.

this just had a few easier set up tricks than the gangster version with the top cocking handle.

thanks

sean

#28 ·
i can post any amount here that people want to see.

if enough people are interested, the whole build can be posted here.

its a M1 bolt (floating pin bolt)

and the rear of the receiver is a Philadelphia Ordnance early issue that i stuck on a front stub and barrel.

the lower is my standard conversion set up that works on any tommy version.

s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.