Gunco Forums banner

FAL Para Conversion

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  iansstud 
#1 ·
Ive been wanting to add a Para stock to my FAL for a few months now... I'm a Very Very DIY kind of guy, so I don't think it can be too hard. I just need a little direction here.

This is my one complaint about the FAL rifle: Its shielded behind a curtian of mistery!!! There is Very little info on the FAL on the internet... Its nothing like the AR-15, M1a, and so on. There is just not alot of info on the rifle, and what info there is, Its not very well put together. (sorry to hate a little)

SO, here is the deal, I have a few questions:

Is there a step by step DIY FAL Para 'conversion' page on the interwebs?

Im guessing I need at a minimum a Para Top cover, Spring/spacer kit, Para Bolt, And a Para stock... Anything else???

Whats the deal with the front nose? Can I grind it in with my dermel tool? or should I just get a Top cover without??

Whats the deal with the rear sight? is it because it sticks out past the lower? can I work around this or do in need a new lower?

Whats the absolute cheapest one could do this conversion for?

Thanks!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the link, but Fal Files suck! It takes 30min just to log in, I have a hard time searching for a Step by step thread (i dont even know if there is one) For whatever reason, I cant click on anything on the left side of the link you provided...

I just want an easy Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 kind of thing...

#7 ·
The only thing functioning on that page is the link to the Forums, the links on the left have been dead for years. Dunno why they never updated it....

Here's some good info on the receiver mods and pics of the parts:

The FAL Files Forums - A really STUPID para kit questionm (receiver mods required?)

DSA has complete kits for converting, some have the nose that needs the receiver cut, some don't. If you buy the kit all you need to do is swap lowers, the carrier and topcover/recoil assembly. The Paras use a special short sight that doesn't overhang the lower.

SA58/FAL Products-D S Arms

#4 ·
If you convert to a Fal conversion you will need to buy a lower with the stock, also you will need the top cover, bolt and carrier. you can use the rest of parts from your old lower.
Can't remember about the rear sight, as it's been several years since I did my conversion.If I remember correct, the cost is around $500.00.
Of all the 308's I like the FN Fal most. GOOD LUCK

#10 ·
pookie, I did ask a some similar questions 6mo ago... I had some more specific questions about the 'nose', and if there was a guide for this... I still have not found a guide that show's all the steps together. There is just not a page that has a guide to this, Maybe I will make a guide of what parts, places to get them, how to install them and so on...

#11 ·
Yes I belive that finding a "how to assemble a Para FAL A-Z" is kind of hard because much of it will be intrisically understood if you have all of the pieces on a table and can fondle them.

The big thing about the "para cut" receiver is that it needs the notch up front for the slightly different bolt carrier/top cover that the para uses.

The short answer is if you get the entire rear assembly from DSA etc (the $450 kit) you need only to notch the receiver to use it. Or buy a Para scope mount top cover as well, which doesn't have the ear. Can't remember now, need to look at it again.

Much of this was discussed a few years back:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f254/rhodesian-fal-questions-9765/

If you search the entire forum for "para conversion" or "para receiver" or "para ____" etc. you should be able to find all the info you'll need.

#12 ·
if you go slow you can notch out for the para nose cover with a dremil. i did these 2 or you can send it off and for $50 each get someone to mill the receiver out for the nose. i chose to use the dremil on mine.

the regular rear site can be used if you modify the rear block. just grind slow to remove enough metal for the site bases to fit. i chose to do this on mine.
this was done on some rifles in some countries or you can buy the para sites for around $60.

watch the different for sale sites and you can buy the parts to do all the conversions.

i finally finished 2 of mine last week. i have been working on them for a few years.
2 more to go, still gathering up parts.
(these are a mix-master of parts left over from other builds. )

both are 922r compliant.

1 has a 16-1/2" barrel (israel hand guards) the other is a 18" barrel.

they shoot good.

good luck with your build.

ron

Attachments

#13 ·
THANKYOU SGT RON!!! I will try this with my Dremel tool! (like you said, It will also take me a bout a year to get the parts rounded up!!!)

You must REALLY REALLY like the Izzy handguards!!!

I just got told by the wife to cool it on all of the gun parts buying, so it may be a while yet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.