Gunco Forums banner

$299 M53 parts kits at centerfire

8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  swamprat9 
#1 ·
$299 M53 8mm Parts kits are at centerfire. Looks to have everything except receiver. Just bought one, will let you know how it is when it gets here.

Yugo M538mm Parts KitPart #M53-KIT

#2 ·
Thanks for sharing
nice price with a barrel.

All removable parts from inside the receiver (rails, etc) are included.
That sounds like a good thing, is it?

Chamber end of the receiver is not included.
Is this common for these kits or is it needed? Sounds like something that's needed

#3 ·
Hard to tell from the pics. Does it come with the trunnion u piece, end piece and pin ( no big deal as can be found for $40). Is the receiver demilled through the square trunnion holes or does it have them intact. Please let me know when you receive your kit. thanks, willie
PS a while back I picked up some demilled barrel ends for $15 ( barrel was torched). Had some Sarco swede 8x63 barrels (3@$90?) and adapted and cut off the old chamber and reamed to 8x57 and re profiled the barrel NEW barrel for $45 less my machine work.

#5 · (Edited)
Just got the kit in the mail, and laid everything out. here it is:

Havent inventoried every piece yet, but the one big thing im missing? The barrel. I just emailed CFS and pointed this out, so hopefully its just a simple "whoops, sorry about that, its on its way," Ill keep you all posted....

....Which is exactly what they said. Got an email this morning saying it was on the way.

#6 ·
Looks like everything is there (except the barrel as you noted). You even got a receiver stub with the trunnion section intact! A rear receiver section and front barrel bearing and you're ready to build. I've got a German BNZ coded rear receiver section that was torch cut in two places that someone rewelded...sort of. Inquire if interested.

Any German marked parts?

#7 ·
Looks like everything is there (except the barrel as you noted).

Any German marked parts?

Haven't scrutinized the parts yet, still need to clean the gallons of cosmo off of everything. i havent seen any german marked parts, looks to be all Yugo tho.

I did play with the bipod and it is pretty much new looking under the tons of grease on it, fits great on the shroud, as it should anyhow. Torch cut righ on the end of the shroud, right through the bushing. front site is dissasembled and in the plastic bag. Top cover is in great condition, as is feed tray, dust cover, and most everything else. Picked up a ton of degreaser today at work, going to spend the afternoon (maybe?) cleaning and inventorying everything else.

#8 ·
Didn't mention originally, but when I placed the order, I had the billing address and shipping address different. They sent the pkg to the billing address...where I no longer live. I called and Magnus at CFS contacted UPS and had the shipment rerouted to 29 palms. had to get all the way to San Diego first, but a few days later than planned it made it here. Just got another email saying the barrel that was missing from the kit is being shipped out....to the wrong address again. I called and was told to call back tomorrow when Magnus would be back. hopefully they can intercept it, so its not sitting on a doorstep 200 miles away :p

#10 ·
soakin the parts in a degreaser right now, let it do some of the elbow work for me while i have a few beers and sleep. Was lookin at the recuperator, and its got "bpr" stamped on it. is that german or yugo marking? The bipod is the only german WW2 marked piece i got in the kit. but it looks like it was made yesterday.

#12 ·
I got a kit from a different source some time back, spent a few hours taking pounds of cosmo off with a heat gun. Let us know what the bore looks like... last time they had these with barrels they were pretty dark unless you paid a considerable upcharge.

#13 ·
Barrel arrived today. Looks decent, barely any rust on it at all. look down the barrel, doesnt seem to bad, its dark and rough, but seems to have decent rifling on it. Has a ton of seemingly random number stampings on it. Only makers mark looking stamp is a star, with a "T" right under it. ill post some pics once i get it cleaned up/

#14 ·
Congrats on the great kit. Got mine a while back and the bore was rough. I bought a couple of locking blocks with barrel stubs (torch cut) for $15 @ RTG. Had some of the Sarco 8x63 Sweed barrels. Seems like I paid $89 for 3. I used the threaded stubs for threaded bushings and mated the Sweed barrels less chambers. Chamber reamed them to 8x57 and headspaced them. All of my bolts checked with in .002 of each other. Did this over a year ago and have not finished the profile. Had the reamers and headspace gaged on rent time and had to get them back. May not be original but are new.
YMMV

#17 ·
i have been thinking about building one of these. is there a tutorial on here somewhere that i missed? and i looked for ammo for this and came up short, is ammo is this cal super expensive and is it just cheaper in the long run to convert to .308?

sorry if these questions seem noobish. i dont know anyhting about 42/53's

#20 ·
i have been thinking about building one of these. is there a tutorial on here somewhere that i missed? and i looked for ammo for this and came up short, is ammo is this cal super expensive and is it just cheaper in the long run to convert to .308?

sorry if these questions seem noobish. i dont know anyhting about 42/53's

Robertrtg.com, apex, brpguns.com are a few places that sell 42/53 stuff. rttg and brp sell the most as far as re-building one goes. coldsteelsolutions also has 42 receiver 80% i think.

You can get 8mm ammo out there. I still havent built my kit yet, got a lot of it ready to go, just waiting on re-welding stuff together. i got the original torch cut bbl bushing out, and put the new one it, right now its just tack welded in place. I cleaned up the end of the barrel shroud and the end of the receiver. got a long piece of square tubing, just need to drill some holes in it and bolt the two halves on it and do the re-weld. Still not confident enough with my welding, thats the biggest reason i haven't gone any further.

i havent touched the grip stick yet, other than taking it all apart and leaning the grease off it.

Pirate56 has an outstanding tutorial on projectguns.com.

#22 ·
At this point in time you are much better off buying one of the ones made by wise lite, tearing it down, removing all the rough edges, refinishing it and fine tuning it to make it work reliably. trying to cobble together a receiver from all the stuff that is available is a waste of time & money. trust me I have built a few of these and they are not easy to get working reliably and to keep working.

I am not trying to dampen anyone's enthusiasm , just trying to save you a lot of frustration!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.