Gunco Forums banner

L1A1 take down help needed

991 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bolt2Bounce2 
#1 ·
Hey Guys i have a British L1A1 that i got from my brother that was sitting in his gun cabinet untouched for about 8 or 9 years. i cannot get the take down lever to move. i can get the lever to wiggle just a little but it will not move. i even took a small piece of wood and was tapping it with a small hammer and didn't get any where. any one have any advice they can offer.

#2 ·
You have two possibilites:

1: The gun is fitted so tight that the locking piece is jammed into the ramp on the back of the upper receiver and refuses to budge.

Tapping with a hammer and wood along with maybe a few whacks on the underside of the stock with the palm of your hand may loosen it up enough to pop free. Removing the pivot bolt in the front may also loosen things up a bit.

2: The locking piece is rusted in place.

Do you know how to remove the stock? Under the buttplate is a slotted nut that fits over the recoil tube and holds the stock on and the recoil springs in the tube. They make a tool for this that keeps the springs captive but a normal large screwdriver and care can be used. Once the buttstock is slid off the recoil tube the mechanism is exposed and you can douse it with oil to loosen it up.

If both solutions fail, remove the small screw back there that retains the lever and pull it out. This will expose the side of the locking piece and you can get a hammer and punch at it to knock it loose.

#4 ·
well my rifle has the thumbhole stock on it and according to my small manual there is a screw that is removed after the upper and lower are separated to remove the hand grip. so it looks like i can't remove the butt stock. kinda of bummed, i wanted to clean it and take it out this afternoon. as much as i don't want to it looks like i'll be taking it in to the lgs. any other advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#7 ·
"towards the front of the rifle?? " ??
not that Im a fal pro but all of the catches (inside the lower) on fal (inch/ met) are the same they get pushed back to the buttstock (inch, vertical style) or up (met. horzontal style). but this is all for not with a thumbhole stock and removing the buttstock.

rav,
when you get the gun to open up, replace the stock with one from brovo5.com and replace the "butthole stock" with a pistol grip and buttstock. muttman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.