Gunco Forums banner

Empty Store Shelves Coming to America

7K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  sniper69 
#1 ·
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

[video=youtube;BIVVL43qPXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIVVL43qPXY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Empty Store Shelves Coming to America[/video]

#2 ·
Food Storage

Upper Shelves

Lower Shelves

Freeze-dried food, stored water and Berkey water filtration units with spare filters.

Buying cases of canned goods and rotate as used.

I try to keep a minimum 5-year to 10-year supply of food on hand. I have relatives that do the same and they also keep sealed buckets of dried wheat, rice and corn. I have been off work for as long as two years at a time and lived off my food storage which really helped.

- Black Blade

#3 ·
There are a number of places to get food in quantity for storage.In my part of the world:

I traveled to Idaho and found the mindset clearly focussed on preparation and survival. In fact I went to a couple of "Preparedness" stores and saw that even Walmart is in on the action.

I found a "Preparedness Center" at the local Walmart.It may be because of the fairly large LDS (Mormon) population in the area, however, it is interesting since "Preppers" and "Survivalists" outside the Rocky Mountain states probably don't see this in the Walmart stores in their areas. There are buckets of grains, canned goods, freeze-dried food items and blue water drums. Walmart isn't the only store I visited in my quest to stock up.

I stopped into the local "Army Surplus" store and it was like a kid in a candy store. So much I wanted but focussed mostly on my prep needs.

More Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) were on display as were the blue water drums. I bought six 55-gallon drums for one of my alternative E&E sites. I passed on the MREs as I personally prefer the freeze-dried foods with the indefinite shelf life. Next I went to Home Depot and got some shelve units that I set up and started to load with food and survival gear.

#4 ·
Interesting video.. When I lived in the more populated A.O.s down here in Florida. That looked like the panic buying when a hurricane is coming.
Down in the swamp here. We have springs pumping millions and millions of gallons of fresh water out daily.

#5 ·
The panic buying happened in Montgomery, AL as well when a hurricane was set to hit the gulf coast.

And those springs where you live are beautiful. Maybe next time we can go to Silver springs on a holiday weekend. :lildevil::lildevil::whisker: :nanabang:

Having prepes at home is very important. Black Blade - thanks for sharing the pics - it gives me an even larger goal to strive for. :)

#6 · (Edited)
Thought provoking post Black Blade. I have found quality affordable food grade storage containers at my local Chinese buffet. Ok, hold on and I will explain. Kikoman ships soy sauce in heavy, quality poly buckets, (six gallon) with a screw on lid with a gasket. These are food grade poly containers that are cheap. I get them for one dollar each, I get 5-10 at a time. The manager is glad to get rid of them and make a buck. I now have over 20 of them stored with corn, rice, oats, beans, etc. The buckets are not stained, no odor etc. I think the soy sauce in in a heavy sealed plastic bag in the bucket. This may not suite everyone but I have found nothing else with this quality and low price.

Attachments

#7 ·
Not to discount the importance of preparedness, I would use any information from inflation.us (National Inflation Association) with the following info:

[video=youtube;U0LrDzJRMRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0LrDzJRMRI]YouTube - Inflation.US is a SCAM - Evidence[/video]

the guy behind it is known for pump-and-dump stock schemes (penny stock price manipulation)...

Also, it's possible there are groups out there trying to drive up gold & silver prices, with the intention of driving them back down (after they invest in "short" futures, or otherwise positioning themselves to profit from manipulation of the price)

anytime you can get any investors to panic, there's money to be made (or lost)

#8 ·
Good tip thank you. That is exactly how the Kennedy family made their fortune, along with running scotch, back in the 30s.
Oh Rockefeller and all the big boys jumped on the bandwagon. Only on a much larger scale. Big bucks not penny stocks. Run a stock up, then dump the worthless paper when people bought.
During tougher economic times, such as now. People become desperate.
Desperate people do desperate things. Animals feed on their desperation.
If it sounds too good too be true. :)
This Country is in bad shape. Bad.. Can it be saved. Well yes. With the rite leader.
Someone who will risk their life standing up too the Federal Reserve.
When you or me are at the survival store. Look too your right and left, the guy standing next too you, may just be worth a fortune.
They did not get rich by being stupid. They be building bunkers, just like us PO folks. :)

#9 ·
Good tip thank you. That is exactly how the Kennedy family made their fortune, along with running scotch, back in the 30s.
Oh Rockefeller and all the big boys jumped on the bandwagon. Only on a much larger scale. Big bucks not penny stocks. Run a stock up, then dump the worthless paper when people bought.
During tougher economic times, such as now. People become desperate.
Desperate people do desperate things. Animals feed on their desperation.
If it sounds too good too be true. :)
This Country is in bad shape. Bad.. Can it be saved. Well yes. With the rite leader.
Someone who will risk their life standing up too the Federal Reserve.
When you or me are at the survival store. Look too your right and left, the guy standing next too you, may just be worth a fortune.
They did not get rich by being stupid. They be building bunkers, just like us PO folks. :)

Black Blade: Just like the bankers as well. Not to mention that it is entirely legal for members of Congress and their staffs to engage in insider trading. This is part of "Congressional Priviledge" which is illegal for us peons. We are not the "priviledged class" so we would get prison time. Those are the people who run the economy (and the country) which is why it is ever more imperative to "be prepared".

#20 ·
Sams and Costco both sell food preps! Sams has some really good prices too! If your storefront doesn't have the freezed dried or other other stuff go online. You can have it shipped to your local store or to your house from both Sam's & Costco. Costco used to carry a bunch of #10 cans, but now it is mostly just single serving packages... but Sams has a whole line.

Search Results

Costco - Grocery & Floral - Gourmet Prepared Entrees

#12 ·
Leadchunker - is there an LDS pantry near by? You could see if they let non members go (assuming you're not LDS, I'm not...)(some LDS pantries allow non members to go - others don't) and then you could buy and can various storage items. Also the LDS have a website to order some items from (like canned wheat, etc).

#13 ·
There is an LDS cannery in Greensgoro. I will be making a trip there very soon. I just checked mountain house and they are sold out of every #10 can item they make due the large demand countrywide. It seems something is going on that I don't know about. Perhaps the food shortage is already upon us.

#14 · (Edited)
For bulk wheat etc. check out this site. I bake a lot and have used their products, it is high quality and a good price. Wheat Montana ~ Dealer Locator
This will take you to the dealers in Missouri, but as you can see, select your state and it will be displayed.
50 lb. whole wheat 23$ and change here.

I was a cook in the Coast Guard for years,we would be out on drug patrols for 1-2 months at a time. My specialty was fresh baked breads, and my fried chicken.The cook is the key to the crew's moral. A well fed crew is a happy one. Had to share this recipe:

Semper Paratus

Attachments

#15 ·
Extreme Weather Events Spark Fear of Global Food Crisis

Jan 15, 2011; 12:06 PM ET

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/44427/extreme-weather-events-spark-f.asp

A series of extreme weather events around the world have caused food production failures sparking fear of a global food crisis.​

The U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization was forced to have emergency meetings to evaluate the growing food concerns. They blame extreme weather as one of the major factors for shortages, and that urgent action is necessary.​

Extreme weather has affected the global food shortages on various levels. Since July 2010, prices on basic staples wheat, corn, soybeans and rice have reached record highs.​

History-making heat waves and droughts devastated Russia's wheat crops, destroying the harvest. One-third of the Russian buckwheat harvest has been lost.​

#16 ·

Jan 15, 2011; 12:06 PM ET

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/44427/extreme-weather-events-spark-f.asp

A series of extreme weather events around the world have caused food production failures sparking fear of a global food crisis.​
The U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization was forced to have emergency meetings to evaluate the growing food concerns. They blame extreme weather as one of the major factors for shortages, and that urgent action is necessary.​
Extreme weather has affected the global food shortages on various levels. Since July 2010, prices on basic staples wheat, corn, soybeans and rice have reached record highs.​
History-making heat waves and droughts devastated Russia's wheat crops, destroying the harvest. One-third of the Russian buckwheat harvest has been lost.​
All while US farmers are paid not to plant crops!!! And black "farmers" are paid reparations!

#26 ·
U.S. crop boom not enough to rebuild thin supplies

ARLINGTON, Virginia (Reuters) – Huge U.S. corn and soybean plantings this spring will likely fail to refill razor-thin stocks enough to quell the surge in grain prices, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Thursday.

In updated forecasts for the world's biggest crop exporter, the USDA warned that it could take several years to restore inventories to comfortable levels. It mostly maintained earlier forecasts on how many acres farmers would sow this spring, but said stocks at the end of the 2012 season would remain tight.

The U.S. government's forecasts are likely to fuel more concern globally that high prices could persist far longer than they did in 2008 when they hit record highs as supplies remain too thin to cope with any further weather disasters.

"While it is often said the cure for high prices is high prices, even with additional supplies expected this year, it is likely that the tight stocks-to-use situation will not be entirely mitigated over the course of one or even two growing seasons," USDA Chief Economist Joseph Glauber told the department's annual outlook conference on Thursday.

The planting forecasts were unchanged from the department's projections made earlier this month, when it projected 92 million acres of corn -- the second largest since 1944 -- and 78 million acres of soybeans, a record. Analysts had expected the agency to trim both forecasts marginally.

LITTLE CUSHION IN US END STOCKS

The greater surprise was in projections for tight ending stockpiles for 2011/12. While both corn and soybean ending stocks will be higher than this year's levels -- with corn forecast to be the smallest since 1996 and soybeans amounting to a few week's supply -- they suggest very little cushion for unexpected shortfalls.

"It should be bullish all around even though the USDA stuck to their higher estimates than I probably would have done," said Jack Scoville, analyst for Price Futures Group.

"It seems to me they're implying some very strong demand here because the ending stocks estimates remain pretty tight, really across the board," he added.

USDA said 2012 corn ending stocks would rise by 28 percent to a still-thin 865 million bushels, and soybeans stocks by 14 percent to 160 million bushels.

But USDA cut its outlook from a forecast made earlier this month for corn stocks by 23 percent and soybeans by 16 percent for 2012.

Contributing to the slim stocks will be soaring exports, which are expected to rise $9 billion this year to a record $135.5 billion.

"Today there are 7 billion mouths to feed and many of them depend on American agriculture," Debbie Stabenow, chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee, told the USDA's annual outlook conference.

China will become America's top export market, surpassing Canada. China is seen importing 60 percent of the world's soybeans and 40 percent of its cotton this year.

Continued: U.S. crop boom not enough to rebuild thin supplies - Yahoo! News

Black Blade: Thin supplies of grains means likely higher prices and possible shortages.

#27 ·
Well put your seat belts on guys.

Looks like their is going too be plenty of food. Your just going too need a truck too carry the cash too the store too buy it.
I do not watch the news much. But virtually every analyst is predicating $5 plus gas, at a minimum, this summer.
This should put diesel well over $6. Or higher.
All transportation costs, for commodities, will have to be passed on too the consumer. Up will go everything we purchase, or have delivered.
America better get too pumping oil with this unrest in the Middle East.
I dont think the people taking over like us too much. :nono:
So the problem may not be lack of food on the shelves. It is going too be, how the hell do we pay for it.

#29 ·
Montana Wheat can be found at WalMart. Even my store has it. By the time you consider freight it is cheaper.

I prefer to buy in the bag for less then place in Mylar with O2 absorber myself. I get 5 gallon buckets for free and the bags are reasonable. Of course, they can be reused more than once.

Even though food prices are going up like crazy, they are still cheap relative to the not too distant future. IMHO it is time to stock up, even if it hurts financialy. I know I am!!

#34 ·
Yes j4

Seems most folks, around here anyway, are living pay check too pay check.
Oh I dont mean the sky is falling. Some out there are doing good.
But most everyone has cut down on the going out too dinner, luxury items, like boats, Big boys toys, etc.
People are spending, when they have the dollars. But spending on the cautious side.
Even the lucky few, with the $$$ seem too be holding back and shopping at the bargain stores.
Wally World even took a loss for the second quarter.
The Chinese wont be happy bout that. :)
Gas hits 5+ here in the States.
Keep your seat belts on. Things gonna get ugly.
I am going too the roof with my case of beer and watch the show. Anyone wants too head on over. Please bring your own beer and no. You can not use my binoculars.

#32 ·
Good gravy......Regular gas went up 36 cents a gallon here just TODAY!!! I can't afford to go to town to see the empty shelves!!! I got a half tank of gas & a suitcase of cheap Mils best & dropped $67.00 !!! WTF???
Thank you obama.

#35 ·
yea these are 'interesting times".

this this the "stag-flation" that was talked about in the 1970s. it is here today.

back then if you lost your job you could get another. at least in these parts when a job is gone. it is gone --finding another is near impossible.

even people that have a little $$ are faced with a problem.

do i spend what little dough i got now, cause the longer i delay the more things cost tomorrow!

and the inflated prices are also causing lay-offs due to lower sales--

sort of a downward spiral that feeds on itself!

#37 ·
do i spend what little dough i got now, cause the longer i delay the more things cost tomorrow!
I got out on my own in 1979. I made a little money, decided to open a savings account.

In school they told us about the wonders of compound interest. At six percent compounded quarterly, fifty cents would become a bazillion dollars in a few years...

The best I could find then was just over 1%... compounded yearly. By 1982 that had dropped down to .75% on savings accounts, but if you caught deal on Certificates of Deposit you could rake it in at .9%! Meanwhile, inflation was officially admitted to be 15%, and I figure it was quite a bit higher than that.

So I figured it *cost* me 14.25% to put my money in a savings account then. It got a bit better later, but last time I looked, no local bank offered anything that could keep up with inflation.

#36 ·
Yes Sir...

It is not the working man or woman who got us in this mess. Oh some did take advantage of the easy money the bankers and the Fed were tossing out.
But the Feds greed, making .70 cents profit + on every dollar printed, before it hits our hands. Sure did put a crinkle in our present situation.
Pray for peace, but prepare for trouble.
My God. Once we "vote" this Fed idiot puppet, out of the White House.
Maybe. Pray. Their is a chance of a turnaround.

#38 ·
My God. Once we "vote" this Fed idiot puppet, out of the White House.
That's what I was thinking in 1996, except the RNC nominated Bob Dole. At least Dollar Billy was the devil we knew; Dole was a raving loony-toon. But he was the top dog in the Republican Party, and nobody was going to stop him if he wanted to try for the brass ring... the RNC *gave* that election away.

#41 ·
"Federal Reserve makes record $52.1bn profit"
Now in defense of the Fed. They do give any profits back too the Govt.
That is. In the form of loans. Which they make more profit on.
"The Fed funds itself from its own operations and returns any profits to the Treasury department. "
BBC News - Federal Reserve makes record $52.1bn profit

Any President, or leading politician, who dared step in their path, is dead.
Yes TRX. 2009 was not a bad year for them. Think it was 42 billion profit.
This is interesting. Their private company contract ends Dec. 2012.
Isn't 2012, bad things supposed too happen? :confused:
Federal Reserve has a 99 year term expiring in Dec. 21 2012 | FIRETOWN!

Yup the Federal Reserve. A "private company" our forefathers were dead set against letting happen, when they formed this great Nation.
Again, the President is not the leader of this Country, the Fed is.
Some Presidents held the chains tight. Some gave them free rein.
The Federal Reserve. Bringing us closer too empty store shelves, since 1913.

#43 ·
When news of the possibility of a tsunami coming at them, the non-preppers in Hawaii get a dose of reality and learn a lesson about not being prepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.