Gunco Forums banner

.45 acp Mauser 98 using a Rhineland Kit and an ATI stock

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bubbamauser 
#1 ·
That's right you read it correctly, I am building a .45 acp Mauser.
I ordered the kit from Rhineland.
I had an ATI Mauser scout stock I had intended for another project but I decided to use it for this instead.
I have a ton of 45 brass and loaded ammo with only a Smith and Wesson 625 revolver to shoot it through, so why not a .45 carbine.
I am using a Spanish La Carona Mauser i got for $115. It had been radically bubbaized before I got it. The bore was rough and the stock had been hacked up really bad, however the action was nice and smooth and just needed to have all the crud cleaned out of it.
So I got the barrel off the action cleaned it out.
I Installed the Rhineland barrel and lock nut on the action following their instructions. I head spaced it with a dummy round. I will be going to a shop this weekend to double check the head space with a set of gauges just to be safe.
the two biggest challenges will be cutting out the bottom of the ATI stock for the magazine adapter and getting roll pins or some other type of pin to go through the stock to hold the magazine adapter in. Unless someone has the other version ATI stock that uses the metal trigger guard they are willing to trade for one with a molded trigger guard.
Here is where the project stands at the moment

So I think it is off to a good beginning.

See less See more
#5 ·
I LIKE IT. CAN YOU SHOW SOME PICS OF THE LOCK NUT SET UP???? I WAS THINKING OF SOME THING SIMMULAR FOR A MOSIN RECIVER. YOU CAULD MAKE THAT A MULTI CALIBUR SWITCH BARREL PRETTY EASY WITHA SPARE BOLT AND BARREL. A 7.62X25 WOULD BE SLICK AS WELL.

GUNNYSMITH I REALLY LIKE YOURS. LOOKS FACTORY. NICE BOLT HANDEL IS THE WORK YOURS??

#7 ·
well old Mr Murphy reared his ugly mug. the synthetic stock is to deep for the magazine adapter to work. It will not feed reliably and If i position it so it does I can not use the mag catch.
So I am falling back to plan b. I will be using the wood stock for this kit.
If I can find another cheap large ring Mauser action I may try to use the synthetic stock to build one using Glock 21 mags. No I just have to inlet the wood stock blue the barrel and nut and solder on some sights.

#8 ·
Well I finally have it to a usable state
I used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue paste to blue it.
I bought an XS Sight system Clifton style scout rail and epoxied it to the barrel. I still need to finish the cosmetics but I want to shoot it some first.
I plan on using JB weld to fill the gaps between the front of the magazine adapter and the Mauser magazine box.
I plan on mounting a Mauser front sight and using a receiver mounted peep sight for a back up to the pistol scope.
the stock is going to be refinished but not sure what I will do to it yet.
45 acp will feed and eject, or least dummy rounds will. I will have to make a bullet guide out of brass and put it between the magazine and the feed ramp in the receiver that should make feeding 100%.
Here are a few pictures:

#14 ·
This happened to alot of people, it seems they are trying to sell again without straightening it out with the people they screwed. They showed up here and over at weapons guild months ago. I didn't get screwed because I was warned about them, so i am returning the favor

BUYER BEWARE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.