Gunco Forums banner

Jap Arisaka type 99 7.7

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  4thIDvet 
#1 ·
Hey everyone so, my grandfather recently gave me a japanese arisaka type 99 chambered in 7.7. the problem is this arisaka has been sporterized (new and bent bolt handle, sport stock and scope added. I really want to convert it back to its original version which will include stock, bolt handle, no scope, original boyonet (if i can find it) original steel sights). my rifle does have some rare items the mum is in tact as it was captured during the war all the markings are clear as day the metal is in perfect condition, the safety is of the decorative type unlike the late war type. so my question for everyone is, is it possible to unbend the bolt handle? where to find original parts and what parts have numbers on them that need to match? thanks in advance for any and all advice and answers.

#2 ·
Straightening the bolt handle could be tricky since the metal is likely strechted from being bent. Carefully heating it at the beginning of the bend and gradually bending it back straight might do the trick, but if the metal stretch is to much, it still may not look exactly right. If not it would have to be cut, rewelded and carefully polished to get the original look to retain the original bolt. Some of the more experienced members here may have a better idea though.

#3 ·
thanks withers i hadnt thought about the stretching. by some miracle theres actually a gun shop in the tampa area that carries parts for arisakas and his website advertises original arisaka bolts and bolt handles. im just dissapointed that it wont have a matching serial number on the underside. so your idea or cutting and rewelding has made me wonder if this would be possible in order to retain the all matching serial number.

#4 ·
I understand you want to keep matching numbers, but the first thing I'd look into is the coat of the original parts, if they are about the same as a whole rifle you might be better off just buying another gun.
Even if you find all the parts for a good price, it still has holes in it for the scope mount, that drops the value of it very much right there. I think one with the Mum scrubbed but unmolested would still be more collectable then one that was modified and converted back.

Just my $.02

#7 ·
That is nice of yah too do that. Good man.
I am no expert on the weapon.
We have a captured one at our American Legion.
Guess the originals with the "mum" have a bit higher value.
End of the war, read where the japs took the mum off the weapons they had in stock, before turning them in.
Had something?? too do with the emperor.

#10 ·
I picked one up at the local swap meet and did some reading. I guess back in the 50's 60's these things were pretty common like the nagants at big 5 sporting goods. (mum ground off). Seems the ammo is pretty expensive I think I saw norma makes them for 37 dollar a box of 20. jim

#11 ·
Back in the day when surplus ammo was plentiful, you could buy a case of Arisaka ammo and they would throw in a rifle for free! Of course, in those days they also mailed you the rifle in the same box with no paperwork....... :crybaby:

Damn, that Delorean is gonna have to have a hell of a hitch to tow a 53' semi trailer, and a Caterpiller diesel engine upgrade.....

#13 ·
the stock is going to be the hardest to find, but I do see them on gunbroker occasionally, bolts are around but headspaces gauges are tough but a little tape on the back of a original case will do. these rifles are superior and are in fact the strongest actions made, better than a mauser except for very late war last ditch rifles and trainers

they shoot nice we still for kicks shoot original rounds but mostly we reload using Graf & sons brass and 303 projectiles 3031 powder work real good

mum or no mum great rifles

sprat

#15 ·
hey jim thanks for the link! im going to a local shop today that actually specializes in military armaments to see what they have but if theres no stock there ill place a bid. however i did notice the stock has what appears to be a split running through the budstock to the grip ( across the rear sling mount) is that just a bad joint or an actual split?

#16 · (Edited)
balls2elwall Got yah one.

Comes with "Mum" bayo, Nip sword, and case.
Next time I go too the Legion. I will have my Bro Earl "Iroquois Marine code talker WWII" heave a chair through the glass.
While he is fighting the commander, I will grab the gun and run.
You pay shipping and possible commissary money, for my buddy Earl and maybe me.

#17 ·
funny part is what was mentioned above
these rifles were a dime a dozen years ago used to see them for $50 at flea markets unused since the day they returned back to the states after the war. Nobody wanted to pay the price for Norma ammo, which in those days was like 75 cent to a dollar a round, so they collected dust. The only time I can recall ammo being cheap for these rifle was when the chinese opened up the arsenals and released all that chinese produced 6.5 & 7.7 ammo, before that we would buy the jap leather ammo pouches full of rounds with brass stripper clips just for the ammo. we even used the large rim mg ammo and turned down the rims on a drill press and used that for a while. In fact I still have some of that stuff, sarco was selling it buy the crate
some of it started turn green a while back so we pulled the bullets and powder and reloaded with once fired brass, we converted from berdan to boxer primer pockets( this conversion can be found in the older threads)

nambu pistols( wartime general issue) were extremely cheap also but again, no ammo, no one made it commerically until recently, now look at the prices for nambu's

sprat
sprat

#19 ·
thanks kernelkrink for the info, i keep hearing about stocks that have been cut by troops bringing them home in their duffel bags and dont want one of those.
-Sprat- yea i used to purchase hornady soft point ammo for it several years ago when i used to borrow it for a range day. it was easy to find through midway now they dont even carry the expensive norma stuff. so i guess theres another reason to hang it up and stop shooting it.

-4thIdVet- that sounds like a good deal to me. I appreciate the offer.... im surprised to learn how much the bayonets are going for, so i may opt for slowly collecting quality parts for this re build and just keep tinkering with all my other guns.

#21 ·
Jim

the monopad attaches to the middle band, not the nose cap

I never recommend SARCO to anyone for anything, there was a time it was a great place, when I lived up north I used to take a drive up there and spend the afternoon, when Smitty & Glenn were behind the counter those were the days.
The last time I visited Sarco was 2yrs ago I was visitng family so I stopped in for parts they advertised, they came out with rusty junk & repro's junk

sounds like you have a real late war rifle ( last Ditch), if it has a wood buttplate, the cleaning rod hole filled in and fixed sites I WOULD NOT SHOOT IT, but its your rifle and without a picture I can not tell

sprat

#22 ·
Sprat, Ive never bought anything from sarco. I was just passing along what Ive seen on shotgun news. My arisaka has no hole for cleaning rod (I dont think its been filled in). still has the metal buttplate and fixed sights. Only reason I bought it was ive always wanted one and I thought for 100 bucks for a complete rifle wasnt too terribly overpriced, I just dont see them that often. I saw one at another swap meet missing the bolt and the guy wouldnt budge off 75 bucks and it looked like it was stored outside in the humidity. I dont plan on paying 37 bucks for 20 rounds. I just bought it to add to the collection. jim

#27 · (Edited)
Oh yes it may well be...

Welcome too the forum kzchopper.
I just picked one up...
Closing the bolt on them, is like sealing a submarine hatch.
Smooth but you damn sure know it is locked.
The more I research these weapons, the more confusing it gets..
Interesting weapon for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.