Gunco Forums banner

TM 80% build

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Shooter17 
#1 ·
The lower was completed with my Atlas drill press and Atlas lathe milling attachment.
The TM jig was handy to hold the receiver and to drill the FCG pins, didn't use the top plates except for the trigger hole.
For the FCG pocket I used measurements and did layout on the receiver as shown in a sticky posted on Weapons Guild.

Been looking on line for a HBAR 16" 1-9 twist chrome lined mid length upper for a while without much luck,
everyone seemed to be sold out.
But, went to a Gun show yesterday and found a decent deal on a complete upper with bolt, carrier and also a Bushmaster lower parts kit.
Total cost, not counting the jig was right at $600.
Build time was around 4 hrs,.....been awhile since I've messed with the AR platform

According to the foundry stamp...The upper is.....box= BrassAluma Forge (mainly for Colt)
Gonna wait to finish the lower till I put some rounds through it next weekend.

Shooter

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Looks good. Ive been wanting to attempt this, i only have a drill press and a dremel though. Not sure if i have the skill with the DP to do it!
very easy with a drill press, hand files and dremel, there are few tutorials on the web dutigaf has one on WG,( it may be posted on here if you look in the old threads he did last year. I did a 0% DSA forged lower with drill press, hand drill dremel and hand files, very easy to do helps to have micrometer and a 100% recieveror blueprint (which are free on the net) or a old tannery casting as they were opened up in the fcg area

you don't need jigs or templetes, just the blueprints and the time, then for anodizing there are a million tutorials on that

set your mind to it you can do it, these TM 80% are a piece of cake once you have done one you could do ten

sprat

#3 ·
I was a little nervous about doing one myself, but it went pretty smooth.
They can be done without the jig
with a decent drill press, just gotta take your time.
Along with the drill press, you will need a 5/32", 1/2", 3/8" drill bits and a 3/8" aluminum burr bit or milling bit, a vise and caliper.
There are several good threads, PDF files available showing layout measurements, how to make a FCG pin template and the step by step process.

Shooter

#5 ·
Yes it is a TM 80% lower.
Mine was the older version that had the pre drilled selector hole.
The fit and dimension accuracy of the TM lowers matches or exceeds some of the big name AR manufactures.

Let me know if you need any build info links.

Shooter

#13 ·
I agree both of the above post

Vaderspades post is the one most referenced, there are numerous idea's over at WG hit the search engine but they all follow the same thought pattern

I also use Brownells Aluma hyde II comes in the can spray on you could get two or receivers out of a can don't forget to turn the can upside down to clear the nozzle.
again i don't recommend engine paint or stove paint

sprat

#14 ·
I really like Aluma Hyde II.
Used the Duplicolor bake on 1200 ceramic engine paint years ago on Sten builds, ok for what it is but for a few dollars more the Aluma Hyde is a far better finish.
At 3-4 light coats, I usually get two Aks out of one can of Aluma Hyde II.
I keep my extra spray nozzles in a jar of acetone and clean out the can where the nozzle goes with acetone between uses.

Shooter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.