Gunco Forums banner

NEED 6.5X55 SWISS SPECS.

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I MEANT 6.5 SWEDE SORRY

I NEED SOME ONE TO PUT A ACTUAL MIC ON THE BASE ( NOT RIM) OF VARIOUS 6.5X55 BRASS AN REPORT BACK WHAT THEY FIND.

IM LOOKING A USING IT IN A 6MM WILD CAT BASED ON A MUCH EXTENDED 6MM BR AN NEED TO KNOW WHAT VARIOUS BRASS COMES OUT AT. I ASEE NUBERS FROM 469 LIKE A 30-06 TO .480 AN EVERY WERE IN BETWEEN.

LOOKING FOR AMERICAN SPECS AS WELL AS EUROPEAN MILITARY ALSO.

THANKS.

IF MY IDEA PANS OUT ILL HAVE A ROUND THAT WILL DO 3100 FPS WITH A 115 VLD TYPE BULLET ;)

#4 ·
well it turns out there is a swiss 6.5x55mm but i don't have the spec's and it could be the same round

I don't have a base or empty case

max case length 2.160"

trim to length 2.150"

overall length with projectile 3.062"

uses a lyman shell holder 27

unless the myth buster say's I am wrong

sprat

#6 ·
I'll check it out for you in the morning 1biggun, I think I've got 3, maybe 4 different types/brands of brass in 65x55. I'll check them on some of the new unfired Privi and milt stuff I have,,,the others might be reloads in the other couple brands I have so that may only reflect the sizer die dim., but I'll get the dimensions for you from what brands I do have that haven't been reloaded. Both if you want, and I have some once fired ones too if you want those dimensions too. That should give you some good averages to work with.

#10 ·
Here's the "real life" specs. I got

Hot Shot (PPU) unfired 12.12, 2mm
reloaded 12.12, 3 mm

Milt ball (Sweed) unfired 12.12 ,4 mm
fired 12.12 ,4mm tough bases?? No change.
reloaded 12.12.4mm

Norma reloaded cases unfired 12.12 mm even
sorry none fired ???

Win unfired 12.12, 2mm

fired not loaded 12. 12, 3mm

reloaded 12.12, 3mm

They all seem to be pretty consistant over all with the milt ball sweedish being 100% consistant throughout. I measured 5 of each type and averaged out, but less than .002mm-.003mm seemed to be the max variance between all of them.

Is that what ya needed 1biggun?

#14 ·
The .257 Roberts is making a bit of a comeback, in a +P configuration, as the original round was kept to lower pressures for some of the older military rifles converted for it. Not as hot as the 25-06, but more solid performer than the lower pressure round.

But what I was suggesting here is the 6mm Remington, same round, smaller bullet, as I thought thew interest was a high performing 6mm round.

#15 ·
I'd done up a 03 action years ago in the 257 Roberts caliber and stepped it up sense it had a strong action and a bull barrel that was ,,,,MORE than capable of handling the extra pressures. It worked out very well as I remember.

I'm just sticking with standard calibers, the wild cat and odd ball stuff is getting out of reach for the average guy making the occasional trip to the range. Even some of the off the shelf stuff in things like the Weatherby calibers ,is ,,,OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!! If I'm not mistaken my hunting fishing bud told me the ammo for his 257 Weatherby was >70 bucks,,, Holy Shit!! What in Gods Green Earth,,,, could possibly make it so damn expensive,,,,,18 caret?????? Give Me A Break!

#17 ·
Does this help?
Base diameter 12.20 mm (0.480 in)

Found it here
6.5×55mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NO I WANT REAL WORLD SPECS. THE NET HAS REPORTS FROM .465 TO .480

Milt ball (Sweed) unfired 12.12 ,4 mm
fired 12.12 ,4mm tough bases?? No change.
reloaded 12.12.4mm

Norma reloaded cases unfired 12.12 mm even
sorry none fired ???

Win unfired 12.12, 2mm

fired not loaded 12. 12, 3mm

reloaded 12.12, 3mm

They all seem to be pretty consistant over all with the milt ball sweedish being 100% consistant throughout. I measured 5 of each type and averaged out, but less than .002mm-.003mm seemed to be the max variance between all of them.

Is that what ya needed 1biggun?
SO THOISE ARE COMING IN AT .477" IF I DID THE CONERSION MATH OK.

THATS NOT THE .480 THAT E ALL THE SOURCES CLAIM. IM BETTTING THE SAMMI MAX IS .480" AN THE MANUFATURES ARE ALL UNDER IT.

#18 ·
THOSE ROUNDS ARE ALL GREAT I HAVE MOST OF THEM. 244 REM/6MM REM, 257 ROBERTS, 243 REM, 260 REM, 7MM-08, 7MM MAUSER ETC. IM CURRENTLY COLLECTING PARTS FOR A 6.5X55 SWEDE.

YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT. IM TRYING TO GET REAL WORLS ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS OF VARIOUS 6.5X55 BRASS AT THE BASE ( NOT THE RIM)

I AM BUILDING A WILD CAT THAT IS SIMULAR TO A 6MM BR BUT AROUND .200 LONGER. IT WILL HAVE A CASE LENGTH OF ABOUT 43MM WICH IS SHORTER THAN A 223 CASE IT WILL HOLD ABOUT 43 GRAINS OF WATER THAT IS ABOUT 10 MORE THAN A 7.62X39 IT WILL SHOOT A 100 GRAIN BULLET AT AROUND 3000 FPS +

IM DESIGNING IT TO FIT IN A AK MAG ( YEA IT WILL FIT A AR TO) IM TRYING TO GET AS MUCH POWER OUT OF A NON REBATED ROUND WITH A OPTIMUAL BULLET WEIGHT FOR CASE SIZE. I HAVE THREAD ON IT INT HE CALIBURE CONVERSION SECTION .

THOSE WHO ARE NOT AWARE OF THE 6MM BR IT IS A FACTORY LOADED ROUND AN HOLDS MORE THAN A FEW WORLD ACCURACY RECORDS IN BENCH REAST AN IS GREAT VARMINT ROUND. IM DOING A 6MM BR BOLT ACTION THAT WILL BE PRETTY CLOSE TO BENCH REST SPECS AN A IM WORKING ON A WILD CAT FROM THAT ROUND FOR THE AK WITH A MODED OR GALIL BOLT AN ANY OTHER RIFLE WITH A .470 OR SO BOLT FACE.

I ALRREADY HAVE A 22-250 243 , 260, 7MM-08, 358WIN AK IM TRYING TO GIVET MORE BANG OUT OF A STANDARD LENGTH MAG AN BE ABLE TO POSSABLY MAKE A BARREL THAT WILL BE A DIRECT FIT TO A MANY OF THE BARRELESS KITS OUT THERE. THIS ROUND WILL SMOKE THE DOORS OFF A 6.5 GRENDEL OR A 6MM AR TURBO OR AY OF THE CURRENT AR WONDER ROUNDS CURRENTLKY OUT THERE.

THE REAMER IS ON ORDER AN PAID FOR THE DIES ARE HERE. I DONT HAVE ANY 6.5 SWISS BRASS ON HAND TO MEASURE. IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THIS BRASS WOULD BE SUTIABLE FOR MY PURPOSES. RUNNING MY REAMER IN PAST NORMAL DEPTH CAUSES THE CHAMBER TO GET BIGGER AT THE BREACH THE FURTHER YOU GO IN.

MY REAMER IS .472 AT THE NORMAL DEPTH, THE TAPER OF MY REAMER ADDS .011" PER EVERY 1.190 INCES. SO GOING IN .200 EXTRA WILL OPEN THE CHAMBER UP AT THE CASE HEAD ABOUT .0015" OR SO . THAT WOULD MEAN I NEED A BRASS JUST UNDER .4735.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN DO MATH HOW MUCH OF A INCREASE WILL I GET PER .100" IF IM GETTING .O11 PER EVER 1.190" OF REAMER DEPTH?????

IM GUESING ITS ABOUT .001" PER EVERY .250" OF DEPTH INCREASE.

IF 6.5X55 BRASS IS REALLY ONLY .477 OR EVEN SMALLER ON US COMMERCIAL BRASS THEN I NEED TO GO A LOT, OR OPEN THE CASE HEAD AREA OF MY CHAMBER UP SLIGHTLY.

HERE IS SOME PICS OF THE INITAL ROUND IM DEVELOPING WITH A 100 GRAIN SOFT POINT FOR A 1-10 TWIST BARREL . SHOULD DO 3000 FPS APROX. WITH A 2.230 OAL . THERE IS GOING TO BE A 6.5 AN 30 CAL VERSION AS WELL. THE .30 VERSION SHOULD OUT PERFORM THE 7.62X39 BY A GOOD 200FPS WELL ABOVE A 30-30 ALSO.

Attachments

#21 ·
OK, here are the measurements for the base just north of the rim on 5 surplus Swede rounds:

THANKS A LOT. LOOKS LIKE ID HAVE TO SWEDGE IT DOAN A LITTEL ( DOABLE ) IN A 30-06 DIE OR OPEN THE CHAMBER UP.

I MAY BE ABLE TO USE A 308 BRASS BUT THE CASE HEAD MEASURES OUT AT .466 ON MOST OF IT. THAT WOULD GIVE ME ABOUT .008 CLEARANCE INTHE CHAMBER . IM NOT SURE I WANT TO RUN THAT MUCH. IM NOT SURE WHAT IS ALLOWABLE EITHER.

HOW MUCH CLERANCE CAN YOU HAVE AN NOT SPLIT BRASS??? AT THE BASE???

DO YOU HAVE ANY AMERICAN MADE BRASS??????

#24 ·
LOOKS LIKE WOOLF IS .004 BIGGER THAN THE OTHERS. INTERESTING.

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MEASURE THESE FOR ME.

IF I USE 6.5X55 BRASS ILL LIKELY SWEDGE IT A FEW THOUSANDS. IM HAVIG TROUBLE FINDING MAX CHAMBER DIMENSIONS FOR ROUNDS LIKE THE 308 OR 243. ID LIKE TO FIGURE WHAT THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE CASE TO CHAMBER SPEC IS AT THE CASE HEAD . THIS WOULD TELL ME IF IM OPERATING IN A SAFE RANGE. THE MINIMUM IS ABOUT .001"

#25 ·
Hummmm,, I've heard quite a few say that the Wolf Gold seems to have more snap than the norm,, wonder if the larger cases fitting the chamber tighter might possibly effect velocity and pressures some,,,,,, accounting for what people are saying about the golds??? Anybody done any crony comparisons on commercial stuff??

When you get down to those tolerances every little thing can and sometimes does effect performance. Seriously when Fred and the old man got working on something it was crazy how perfect and tight they got stuff,,,,looked like an operating room scene,, but then why to Hell not,,,, half the time it was at the Springfield shop,,,,, it don't get much better than that!!! I just wish I'd been a bit older at the time so I could have picked up more,,, that was back in the early- mid 60's, man what a missed oppertunity.

Man wouldn't it be nice to have one of the universal actions with the pressure probe,,,,, could ya whip up some loads then,, or what,,,,OH BABY!!! Got to play with one of those many yearons ago, Fred being on the Springfield Shooting Team he had access to pretty much what ever. Of course while Fred was prepping ,, we got a chance to do our own up,,, YES!! Oh to have connections like that again.

#26 ·
the round is under loaded by US ammo makers due to the weaker actions that are out there in this calibur.

if loaded to 308 win or simular pressures this rounds an many more really come alive.

my 7 mauser on a 98 action with a shilen barrel is a turd with factry ammo but when loaded to strong reciver like the mauser 98 it is a really really good round . same for the 8mm, an others.

I dont have a chrony yet buts its ont he top of the wish list an I will have one soon.

Im going to be working up several wild cats a its almost a must to know what your getting out of each load.

id love to be able to test pressures accuratly . my first mission would be proof testing a AK action to see what it really can handel safely.

im going to be doing a 6mm wild cat on a ak reciver an it would be nice to know what pressures im running it at.

im hoping to have a set up that goes bang in about three weeks on a AK reciver in 6mm an a bench rest type rifle in the tame round soon to follow .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.