Gunco Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauser project (condensed version)

13K views 21 replies 1 participant last post by  7.62x39 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a condensed version of this thread http://www.gunco.net/forums/f300/mauser-project-68868/ I'm leaving that one open for discussion of this thread.

All the Mauser talk here lately motivated Me to dig out a project that got side tracked a couple of years ago. This is my 3rd Mauser project which in no way makes me an expert on the subject, but I have picked up a few things along the way.

I had already blueprinted the receiver before the project got shelved. It's a 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (large ring Mauser)

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm going to pillar bed the receiver and free float the barrel.
You can see that the rear mounting hole comes slightly elongated to accommodate variations in receivers. The receiver needs a solid lock up there for best accuracy. Here's how to do it. The pillar also solidly locks the receiver to the TG. First you need to drill out that hole large enough to fit the pillar and the bedding compound. Then accurately cut the pillar to the correct length. I also opened up the area around the front receiver lug to allow for the bedding material.

Attachments

#10 ·
This pic shows the notch that must be cut in the TG to accept a trigger mounted safety.
You need to tape up the stock and apply the release formula to anything that you do not want the bedding compound to stick to.

In the 3rd pick you can see where I plugged the holes where I do want it to stick with silicone plugs before applying the release compound.

Attachments

#12 ·
Bedding came out mint. Very tight fit now.

1) Receiver side (top) before bedding. You can see how big the front lug recess was and the elongated rear hole.

2) Top after bedding. Perfect fit on front lug recess and rear pillar bedded in place.

3) TG side (bottom) before.

4) Rear pillar bedded in place

5) Front TG hole. You can see how much larger the original hole was and how bedded hole is not even concentric to original.

This sucker is rock solid now.

Attachments

#16 ·
Firing pin assembly, ready to go into the bolt.

Left) Original Mauser firing pin, spring, bolt shroud with the military 3 position safety and cocking piece.

Right) Assembled unit with titanium FP, extra power spring and sporter style bolt shroud with no safety mechanism (which I moved to the trigger)

The FP/spring change makes a huge difference in the lock time on a mauser. The factory FP on these things is freakin heavy. Lock time is cut by over a third by going to the light weight pin and heavier spring.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Finished and ready for test firing.
Summery of this build

Starting out with a well used 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (Large ring Mauser)

I blueprinted the bolt and receiver and mated it to a Numrich trapdoor trigger guard assembly. Then I inlet it and pillar bedded it into a Boyd's laminate stock.
I re-chambered it to .308 Win. using a 22" Shilen #5 contour barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I cut off the straight bolt handle and fabricated one of my own, which Zap welded on for Me
I drilled, tapped and installed a one piece scope rail, then assembled it using a Bold Optimal trigger, a Titanium firing pin with a speedlock spring and a sporter bolt shroud.
I finished it off by adding a grip cap, recoil pad and swivels to the stock. Topping it off is a Simmons 4-12X44 scope and a Harris bi-pod. I fully expect this rifle to shoot MOA.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.