Gunco Forums banner

century C 15 question.

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
so Ive got one of the ban era century c15 ar 15's basically a olympic arms reciever with a colt parts kit screwed to it.
its got the 20 inch barrel, triangle handguard, plastic stock etc. basically what you see in all the early vietnam movies. I guess the upper is a A2? with the fixed carry handle.
I tried using it on a trade before and once you say century you get a quick no thanks. So the thinking is... how about swapping the reciever to a dpms or other reciever so the dreaded"century " name disappears? would that make the rifle more tradeable?
The rifle is great, shoots anything you feed it, never had a issue with it. Ive also got a few century AK's and each one works, goes bang, and picked up a M1 garand with a century reciever. Read some bad, some good about them on the web, A guy I know has 4 M1's 1 of them is a century gun and he has absolutly no issues. I got it in trade so Im happy with it. jim

#2 ·
first of all century didn't actually make any of the parts used on the century ar-15.

they just used off the shelf parts like everybody else- nothing at all wrong with it. i have seen one or two of them --they seemed to work OK--

sure you can put a DPMS,DSA, double star, MEGA, bushmaster, AA , or whatever lower on it if you want.

if it was me i would just use the rifle as is and buy more ammo.

if it ain't broke why try fixing it? just to make some mall-ninjas happy?

just shoot the hell out of it!--LOL!

#3 ·
I agree with previous posts.

Century has nothing to do with the C15 parts. They are "off-the-shelf", with the exception being the receivers and those were built by Olympic, and they are a quality builder.

Swap the lower for an $85 DSA if it bothers you that bad, then the objection is going to be the upper, another $85 to swap that, then they will complain about the triangular handguards, then the pencil barrel....I think you get my drift.

Here is a great example:

I have a real, live Vulcan M-15 lower in carbon fiber. One of the best lowers I have ever owned. But anyone who hears "Vulcan" goes running away. Knot-heads have no clue they were built by the same guys who built all of the BushMaster Carbon 15 lowers. Just labelled as Vulcan.

For the ignorant, have a nice day.

For those of us who know different, we can reap the rewards of the ignorance of the rest.

Just my $0.02

Regards,

#4 ·
It doesnt bother me at all. I have a tendency to trade things on a whim and when that happens especially guns stuff, the century name means most folks wont have anything to do with it. So I actually get a better deal on stuff I want because Im not so picky. But if I do want to sell or trade it, then I end up holding on to it for awhile. jim

#5 ·
I can't tell ya how many Century guns I have or ,,have had ,,over the years and other that the occasional out of speck placement of a grip/stock screw, canted sights, or a miss drilled scope base I haven't had issues with any of them other than 1 CETME that didn't run to good. That one and 2 other guns out of the hundreds I've gotten there were all taken care of with no stress involved. And I've literally bought hundreds from Century over the years.

I give every gun the full monty anyways when I get a new one, right down to head spacing and tear down and inspection on each and every gun I own no matter who makes it. Believe it or not I've had more issues with Remingtons than Centurys and sent 2 Remingtons back due them closing on a no-go gauge,,,, and 3 because of trigger/safty issues,,,and 1 with a bent barrel that shot 18" left no matter what you did and you could see the bend right out of the box,,,,real nice. I'd be more scared of buying a Remington than Century gun myself. I own 0 rems. now by the way.

Never happened to me with any Century guns. I have no issues buying guns from them at all, and what few I have had issues with were taken care of with no problem. Though I have seen some sloppy looking riviet jobs a couple times on some AK's platforms from them, they were safe, but just not so pretty.

#6 ·
the early century ar-15s were made from USGI parts that came from south america.

remember all those colt m-16 that bill clinton gave away?

later century ar-15s had citidel barrels due to the barrel importation ban. i got a few citadel barrels they seem pretty good to me.

the irony is the innards in that century is probably better than some of the run of the mill ar-15 stuff since it is probably full of colt stuff--

so the same guys that are bashing olympic/century ars are running around looking for those same parts that came in that that one you got--

i would be willing to make a bet that a century ar-15 is probably better than a good number of the low end ar-15s.

now vulcan/hess --don't get me started--- and plastic lowers--run don't walk!

century has had some problems with some of the more difficult to build AKs/CETMEs and so on because there is lots of real gunsmith stuff in building them.

a damn ar - hell they just snap fit --sort of difficult for even century to screw up.

#8 · (Edited)
Agree with many of the previous posts. Many of the AR parts are made by the same Manufacturers they are just engraved with different company names. AR people can be real Madonnas when it comes to their "Mil-Spec" boom sticks. That's just it though they want the name to prove that they paid $1000 more dollars than you did on their guns.

I never got the "Mil-Spec" thing either... I have a S&W M&P15 (My favorite AR I own) and it is way better than any issued M4 I ever had... Either way Olympic is a good company and many AR Madonnas won't want it unless they can post a picture of it and give at least a few people gun envy. Just keep it and shoot the hell out of it. Not every AR15 needs to be 70lbs worth of lasers mounted on lights which are QD mounted to other lasers.

#10 ·
Commercially and economically Century Arms is by far the best and most efficient at taking a military rifle apart and rebuilding it as a legal US civilian weapon. Their low prices are sometimes perceived as low quality. Many times it's the quality of the stuff they start with, like AK rivets and canted sights that give them a negative name. I know they have had some issues in the past, but who hasn't.

I own a few Century rifles and I'm plan on keeping them.

#11 ·
the only century problems I am aware of are the fn fal's they made up and the newer C-93 in 223 I understand many of those are a problem and damm I want one but i wont buy one cause of the reputation.
if the lower is olympic made and the parts are usgi you got a decent rifle,swap out the handguards, my hog rifle ( ar-15) has triangular handguards and a a-1 upper with 70 gr Barnes TSX hogs don't stand a chance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.