Gunco Forums banner

out of spec DPMS LPK parts--

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
you know i have been getting various LPKs for years and got only one gritty trigger with one CMMG LPK i got from AIM years ago.

since the panic hit i figured i would get a LPK to finish up my latest build while i could still get the parts.

the rush was on so all i could get was a DPMS blister-pack retail.

now i have used this retail pack for years and haven't had any out of spec stuff. generally the retail packed kits have better quality than the bulk packed ones --in DPMS anyway.

but this one has some real "doozies" --LOL!

i should have know something was up with it cause it had extra pins and springs that wern't on the chart on the back of the blister card!

first up is the safety --this one has two positions --SAFE and SAFE-- it seems they skipped the machining operation for the fire part and all this safety is just a round pin like thing--and the machining they did do on it for the detent pin are so off, the safety if installed would be sticking out the left side of the lower --quite a bit.

the trigger also has a few problems it fits very tight on the disconnector and the little flared out spring that goes in there won't fit as the whole they drilled for the spring is too small and too shallow with no top flair.

the trigger can be fixed, the safety could probably be made to work --but i'll toss it in my junk box and install a spare.

if a newbie had got this LPK i don't think he would be going around saying how easy a lower is to assemble--LOL

the rest of the kit was fine --the trigger pull seems fine after a little tune up and will only get better--

be sure to check your LPKs before you start or you could end up with a PITA.

i have gotten many LPKs from DPMS that were fine and i am sure this is the exception rather than the rule.

See less See more
#4 ·
now this is something i just noticed and it affects about every DPMS LPK i have worked with over the last few years.

ever notice that their pistol grips fit WAY_WAY to damn tight?

i can't recall if ALL the DPMS kits had those kind of pistol grips but every one in recent memory had a pistol grip that had to have its slot spread out and or hammered on the lower--

i don't recall any of the other LPKs --even the el-cheapo bulk pack kits having pistol grips that required serious work just to get them to go on the lower--

now this don't really hurt anything--but it is a pet peeve of mine--LOL

it does show that DPMS don't check the parts--they just toss um in a bag--sort of grab bag like--

#5 ·
Interesting that you mention that. I've had to open up more than 1 pistol grip from DPMS.

I also had a hammer that I could not use. It looked ok but the pin wouldn't line up with the opposite side hole in the lower. The only way to push the pin all the way through was to cant the hammer, which didn't work because it caused it to bind. At first I thought maybe the hole in the lower was not straight but a hammer from an M1Sales lpk dropped right in and works fine.

Cerberus. He was the 3 headed dog who guarded the gates of Hades.
He was a ruthless mofo. If you ain't from Hades, he ain't your dog.

#6 ·
yep ever since cerberus took over??-- i forgot that. a three headed dog? do he eat his own poop?--LOL!

the pre-cerberus LPKs didn't have all the little furbars were seeing in DPMS lately.

i have bought DPMS lpks bulk and blister pack/retail before cerberus and they were fine.

my favorite LPK lately is JSE's on blended lower parts kit. they seem to have mostly RR /CMT/stag parts in them. with a little JT/double star on the side--

they were about $10 less than the DPMS retail to boot--they sold out FIRST--LOL!

only thing is when i ordered the DPMS lpk--it was all they had left--

i shouldn't complain too much cause i feel lucky to get the DPMS LPK with all the panic BS going on. even screwed up as it is--nothing i couldn't fix.

i haven't fired it yet and it is running DRY/no oil or lube --but the trigger pull seems pretty good--though it has a bit of creep--

speaking of model 1 and --and what is that other place i bought some colt BCGs from them years ago--

anyway i got some doozies from them too during the last panic.

along with SARCO. --SARCO is really funny in that you might new old stock colt parts or imports from china-- some times you do get lucky-some times you don't---LOL!

i wish LMT sold LPKs to the public --they were swamped even BEFORE the panic of 2012---

i never tried a DSA kit--might be the same thing---???? now days it is what you can get--

remember all those guys arguing over which lower brand was best? --now their just trying to find ANY lower---

everything changed in the blink of the eye--

#7 ·
we've been having trouble with non consistent AR LPK's for a long time... discons that only work with a random hammer is the usual thing..

not just dpms... delton, RR and all the other outfits that arent a high priced group. they may work with each other or any thing or they may not. no reliability at all.

#8 ·
i haven't had much trouble with the disconectors , then again i got a box full of spares --i may have swapped a few of them and just can't remember.

back when they were selling those m-16a1 small parts like hammers , triggers and so on for nearly nothing i bought a bunch of them then ground off the offending auto stuff and they made excellent spares. most of which were colt/LMT/FN made-- mostly colt come to think of it.

speaking of colt --i have got a few out of speck things marked colt-- i got one upper that the pin holes won't line up with any lower--LOL

yea --the AR-15 was a modular platform, with the business ethics of the 2012 and beyond you going to have to had fit some small parts cause there ain't no culls, all the parts go --fully machined or not , warped or not , missing parts or not--

it would be bad for a newbie that just had the one LPK to put in one lower as he would likely have to go to some place that sells single parts and order some things--

it ain't as easy as it was a few years ago to assemble these things as all the out of spec, unfinished and warped small parts is throwing everybody a curve--:nanabang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.