Gunco Forums banner

Ak 47 parts kit?????

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
Has anyone built one of these Ak-47 parts kit from start to finish. Any information on what parts you ordered and how hard it was to do would be aprreciated.

#3 ·
Well yeah obviously.... just looking for some info on where to get a good kit. What to look for, key steps, whats considered expensive/cheap, etc. I'm new to building on my own and would like to get into this hobby. I'm also a supervisor at an engineering/cnc factory so tools and mechanical knowledge is there... so I wont be completely blind on this.

#4 ·
There are many members here that started or help start the building crazy for AK's, AR's, subgun etc. Tons of information to read and search through including a wealth of member knowledge.

Enjoy and welcome aboard

#6 ·
your getting tot he part late kits have gone out of site an possible new laws may make what you build illeagle . if you find a kit better get to work fast or you might have parts you cant build.

getting a 100% reciver is almost impossible an there going for $300 on Gun broker. you can bend a flat or use a bent polish shell You will need to be able to spot weld or plug weld rails an the flats are sold out most places.

this is not a good time to get into building AKs as investments in tools an parts might be worthless if there is a assulat weapon ban.

good luck on getting a kit. a basic Rommy that used to be $100 is now over $500 .

tons of info here if you decide to build. go tot he build it your self an start reading from 7 years ago forward. check out he stickies at the top of the page.

#7 ·
I have seen on a couple of forums where people bought the receiver shell and downloaded a template with all the hole dimensions in place. Then of course glued the template to the shell and drilled their own holes. Now one question I haven't been able to find the answer to is are all the receiver holes the same for the ak-47? So If I bought a kit could I use that template or would I have to lay everything out myself?

#10 ·
the trigger pin location will be the same for most aks. the front an rear trunion holes an mag well be different depending on the kit an caliber.

most 7.62x39 kits will use the same mag well trigger guard, pistol grip, selector trigger pin , center support holes with the differences being in how the trunions attach . there are ak,s that have bulged trunions like the YUGO m70 an the receiver is a different . you really need to have a kit first before making or selection you receiver and barrel as there are several different barrels. .

bending a receiver is not as easy as you might think even if you have a sheet metal shop.

milled kits are generally built ay welding back in a repair plate made from a milled flat bar with a rail left. see the sticky in the build it your self area. this is also were this thread should really be.

#12 ·
AK builder, one of our sponsers here, has kits I think. The receiver blank(shell) is a fine way to go if you dont mind doing alot of cutting with a moto-tool. I've done several this way. It can be done with a moto tool, hand drill (a drill press is much better), all thread barrel press, and calipers. I beleive calipers are essential for getting the hole locations correct. A spot welder or mig/tig will be needed for the lower rail installation. And a mapp torch is great for hardning the rails and hammer/trigger pin holes. AK-Builder.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.