Gunco Forums banner

What say: the .44 magnum is a wimp??

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  willie 
#1 ·
For many years the .44 Magnum was King of the Mountain among handguns. But, everything changes and there are now handgun loads that make the .44 Mag seem pretty tame in comparison. I copied the following from the Hornady Ammo catalog ballistic charts:

..............muzzle velocity ..... muzzle energy

.44 Magnum 240 grain bullet....... 1350 fps ..... 971 fpe

.454 Casull .240 grain ...... 1900 fps ..... 1923 fpe

. 460 S&W 200 grain ....... 2200 fps ..... 2149 fpe

.475 Linebaugh 400 grain .... 1300 fps ..... 1501 fpe

.480 Ruger 325 grain.... 1350 fps ..... 1315 fpe

.50 AE 300 grain .... 1475 fps ..... 1449 fpe

.500 S&W 300 grain .... 1950 fps..... 2533 fpe

So, as you can see, there are a number of handgun loads that make the .44 Magnum seem like a pantywaist load. However, having said that, I was recently offered a chance to trade for a lever action carbine in .44 Magnum (don’t know the manufacturer) and I want to do it. When I’m out walking through the wilderness around here, I can’t think of a caliber that would suit my needs more. I have read that, up to 150 yards, the .44 has the same game killing power as a 30-30. And, the carbines made for this caliber are usually light and handy to use.
Another thing: Using the Hornady “Leverevolution” ammo means that you can use pointed bullets in tube loading rifles. It’s a whole new ball game.
So, if I am able to make some kind of trade for a .44, I will do it.

See less See more
#2 ·
NOTHING WRONG WITH A 44 MAG IN A RIFLE BUT IF YOUR GLOING TO PACK A RIFLE FOR RIFLE TYPE GAME THERE ARE BETTER CHOICES.

MY BUDDY HUNTS WITH A 44 MAG LEVER ACTION AN AT CLOSE RANGE ITS FINE . BUT THE SAME RIFLE IS AVALAIBLE IN A LOT OF BETTER ROUNDS . THE 44 MAG IS TO BIG FOR SQUARLES AN BUNNIES AN IS TO SMALL FOR LONG RANGE DEER .

RUGER USED TO MAKE A MINI 44 I THINK ID LOVE TO HAVE ONE.

I HAVE A 44 RIMLESS WIOLD CAT IN THE WORKS FOR A AK IF THINGS EVER CALM DOWN AN I HAVE ANY KITS LEFT. IT WILL SOKE THE 44 MAG .

IF I WAS BUYING A BIG GAME PISTOL IT WOULD BE A 460 THAT ALSO SHOOTS 45 LC I THINK . AMMO IS TWO EXPENSTIVE FOR ALL OF THESE BUT THE 460 IN A RIFLE WOULD REALLY BE GOOD. THE PRESSURE IS REALLY HIGH ON THEM BTW SO I RULED IT OUT ON A AK BUILD. IN A STONG LEVER GUN THE 460 WOULD BE REALLY GOOD ON DEER IMO LIKELY DO 2500 FPS OUT OF A RIFLE.

#3 ·
I've always been a big fan of the 44 mag also. It is more versatile than a lot of people think. Last summer, I traded for a Ruger 44 Carbine semi-auto and really like it. A 165 gr Sierra JHP over a stout charge of H110 chronographed at over 2200 fps in the carbine and is about the size of a 10/22. With a 180 gr lead bullet over Trailboss powder in a 44 Special case, the recoil is mild enough that a child can shoot it.

#7 ·
i would hate to shoot the calibers bigger than my 44mag . The 44mag is plenty powerful , i carry it for both bear and lion , in the OK hills .

#8 ·
I have fired all those calibers in handguns, someone elses guns, and the only one I liked was the 44.
The only way I'd buy any of those other calibers listed below the 44 is if I lived in Alaska or Canada and had to deal with Grizzleys, other then that I think they are just "hey check this out" type of rounds.

#11 ·
I am a real believer in the cowboy concept. Have a lever Marlin 44 with a Redfield peep and a couple of 44 pistols to tag along. Have had a DE Mark VII in 44 picked used for 5bills back in 90s. Finally in the past year got a 50AE complete slide and barrel off of fleabay for just shy of 5bills. Took 3 does this past season. Head shot 230yds w/ 308dpms, body shot w/ inline Muzzleloader with 44sabot @ 90yds and a 35yd headshot, DE 50AE w/ reddot. My second deer ever with a handgun. Guess I am have to build a rifle in 50AE to keep the tradition going. Have my 500 S&W revolver and companion 500S& W Saiga semiauto rifle. Just about to start rebuilding my Bridgeport head as the lower end is finished ( new bushings, better ”X” leadscrew, cleaned glass scales DRO & now working power feed). Waitin for the right lathe to find me.

#13 ·
I am a real believer in the cowboy concept. Have a lever Marlin 44 with a Redfield peep and a couple of 44 pistols to tag along. Have had a DE Mark VII in 44 picked used for 5bills back in 90s. Finally in the past year got a 50AE complete slide and barrel off of fleabay for just shy of 5bills. Took 3 does this past season. Head shot 230yds w/ 308dpms, body shot w/ inline Muzzleloader with 44sabot @ 90yds and a 35yd headshot, DE 50AE w/ reddot. My second deer ever with a handgun. Guess I am have to build a rifle in 50AE to keep the tradition going. Have my 500 S&W revolver and companion 500S& W Saiga semiauto rifle. Just about to start rebuilding my Bridgeport head as the lower end is finished ( new bushings, better ”X” leadscrew, cleaned glass scales DRO & now working power feed). Waitin for the right lathe to find me.
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING FOR A RIFLE BUILD IN 50AE???? AUTO????

#14 ·
Most likely anything that falls in my lap that is cheap. But as current firearm climate is now ain't nothing going to be affordable for a long time. Seems like I am just like everyone here and just stopped buying and using my supplies that have been squirreled away. Friggin depressing.

#15 ·
I like the 44 mag. I bought a model 29 S&W with an 8 & 3/8 barrel back in the day, just because I was a CLint Eastwood fan..

Not exactly a good CHL gun since it comes out the holster in sections. But if you manage to get it out before being shot, it will scare the hell out of a perp.

I caught my daughters beau (he is Chinese), unracking the cylinder and then flipping the gun to make it bang shut. He most likely seen that in some dumbass Chinese movie.I smacked him so hard on the back of the head it knocked the taste out of his mouth. Followed by the admonition that.."you never treat a gun like that sonny!"

Its still one of my favorite pistols.

It was king of the hill for about 6 months before other more powerful pistols came out.

I still would not want to stand in front of one.

#16 ·
Took my future son in law pig hunting a month ago. He has bird hunted but is a novice rifle hunter and pistol shooter. Did the revolver cylinder flip and I had the same reaction. We shot several pistols and he took a liking to my S&W pre27 5screw N frame 3.5 barrel 357. He liked the hefty feel of the N frame. Asked my recommendation for a hunting/home defense revolver. Told him to check out the 4” to 6” Smith 629 or the Redhawk in 44. Both versatile with snake shot, light lead loads and full tilt loads and his future father in law reloads this caliber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.