Gunco Forums banner

Polymer instead of aluminum on a 10/22-good or bad?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 ·
Cut and pasted from Ruger website Q&A section

"I have heard that Ruger has changed the 10/22 carbine trigger group components from aluminum to polymer. Is this true and, if so, why was this change made?

Yes, it is true that we have updated the 10/22 trigger group components and that they are now made of glass-filled polymer instead of the die cast aluminum parts. Ruger engineers are always looking for ways to improve our products, including evaluating new and evolving technologies and materials. The benefits of polymers are many, including improved impact resistance, an unmatched ability to withstand the elements, and of course weight savings. Accordingly, polymers are routinely used in firearms that are subjected to heavy use in harsh conditions, law enforcement and military applications in particular. The new trigger group features injection molded components of high tech polymer for an improved product with closer manufacturing tolerances. The firearm is as reliable and, because the color is incorporated into the polymer of the injection molded components, the finish will never wear off due to normal use or unexpected abrasion. Also, the heat stabilized, glass-filled polymer will withstand impacts that would bend or even break the die cast aluminum parts previously used in Ruger 10/22's."

See less See more
#4 ·
I hate plastic trigger groups. I like how they try to put a positive spin on it by saying that they are more impact resistant and can take impacts that would cause one of their aluminum grigger groups to crack.......Is it a trigger group or a hammer? I haven't heard of cracking trigger groups being a common problem with the 10/22, and with as popular as they are you think it would of showed up by now. They aren't improving anything, but they can make them much cheaper and still charge you the same amount. I would buy used before buying their "improved" version.

#5 ·
I think most manufacturers are now using some form of "plastic" on their rifles. A while back I was allowed to go behind the counter at a local gun store. I saw a magnet laying their and I tried it on all of the trigger guards. Virtually everybody-Ruger, Remington, Savage, Marlin, Howa and maybe a couple others were using plastic. I guess that is the way things are right now. So, if you don't want plastic, look for something older; probably used.

#9 ·
IIRC the FN PS90 had a plastic hammer in it. Bought it, shot it, sold it, so I can't say for sure.

When some one can show me a plastic hammer that is 100 years old and still works, I'll buy it. Until then, I want all my moving parts to be made from metal.

#11 ·
most of the move to plastics is for cost-cutting and improving the bottom line.

it probably cost a whole $1 to make that part out of metal , the injection moulder can make that part for $0.05

and i bet they didn't pass that little savings along now did they?

a plastic-upped 10/22 ought to retail for $99--LOL!

a firearm made and designed for plastic has a chance to work but i don't like plastic replacement parts for metal OE parts.

a nylon 66 or a glock is one thing a plastic ar-15 lower with plastic FCG in another ball game.

the ruger is probably OK that said i sure as hell wouldn't buy it less it was give-away price.

next thing they will be making plastic slides and bolts!--LOL!

maybe hesse/vulcan will lead the way with that one--

plastic is generally OK for furniture, but moving parts, hi-stress structural parts , fire control groups-- i avoid these like the plague!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.