Gunco Forums banner

I like Ruger revolvers

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jimraynor21 
#1 ·
Although semi-auto handguns are the first choice for TEOTWAWKI times, there is a place for the revolver in a survivalist’s plans. Revolvers are generally stronger and shoot higher powered cartridges. They can also be carried loaded and ready to fire safely without having springs fully compressed. They are a good working or hunting handgun. All in all, I think that a prepper should include a few revolvers in his preps.
Some of the best and strongest revolvers are made by Ruger, They have a large line of both single and double action revolvers. They come in calibers that range from th .22LR rimfire up to the 44 Magnum. All of their products are generally well made and extremely dependable. And, Ruger has the best warranty service in the business-they always take care of their customers, period!.
I want to write about their line of “six-shooters” that were originally intended for them police market. I am referring to the Security Six, the Speed Six and the Police Service Six in calibers .357 Magnum/.38 Special. Although these models have been discontinued, they still show up for sale on the used gun market. So, if one comes your way, grab it! I don’t think that you will regret it.
The best feature of these guns is their toughness. They can easily stand up to full power loads all day long without damage. I have heard lots of reports of satisfied owners. I have had mine for more than 35 years. It has spent most of that time sleeping next to my bed within easy reach. I know that if my house is invaded I’ll at least have a chance to save my and my wife’s lives.
Today Ruger has replaced these guns with the new series SP101 and GP 100. But, I think that the internal parts are all similar. One of the best things that I can mention is that all of these guns come with modular assembly. They are similar to semi-autos in that they are very easy to disassemble and repair if necessary. It doesn’t require the services of a well trained gun smith to do minor repairs or modifications. When I got mine, the trigger pull was heavier than I wanted. So, I ordered a replacement trigger spring kit and when it arrived, it only took me a few minutes to install it. And, that was 30+ years ago and I’m still shooting it. I also replaced the factory grips with a Hogue Mono-grip which I heartily recommend to anybody who can use it. It is a better fit for my hand.
I honestly believe that any of these Ruger revolvers will serve you well if you ever get the chance to obtain one.

See less See more
#2 ·
+1 on everything you said.

I had a Security Six for a few years that was well used and still performed flawlessly. I currently own and carry a SP101 in. 357 w/2" barrel and Hogue grips. It feels great in my hand, rugged, quite accurate at personal defense range(Im by no means a great shot), and the recoil is extremely manageable given the size of the firearm(much better than a composite light weight revolver and still easily concealed).

My only complaint with the Hogue grips was that they were a little bulky when using speedloaders, but it is easily relieved by some compentence and dremel. The factory front sight is also a bit lacking but still usable/easily upgraded.

#3 ·
A while back I heard that Ruger was going to offer an eight shot revolver in .357 Magnum. That would be great! I would love to have one or two of them. It would probably be my full time handgun. I think that if you can't get it done with 8 shots of .357, you probably ain't gonna get it done!
Hey, Ruger: If you read this forum, here's my vote for an eight shooter!

#6 ·
I would be first in line! Love me some .357:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.