Gunco Forums banner

Hi!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  netpackrat 
#1 ·
Just wanted to poke my head in here and say hi!

evl....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It kind of goes against the grain of where most people want to take them (read: it is very simple, lol), but that is how I roll them. I built it for HD. I can open inward opening doors without ever lowering the weapon. It is perfect for close quarters and it happens to be a lot of fun too, which is always a nice bonus. I hope to find the motivation to de-horn it, install a front night sight from a pistol, remove the rear, and refinish it, but I have been to busy to give it any TLC. It has been a test bed of sorts for a few prototype parts and the mission has been to break them, but I haven't had any luck with it.

I appreciate the warm welcome and I hope to soak up some AK building knowledge here. I am building my first soon, which will be an AK-105 SBR on a flat. I figure if I am going to do it, I may as well start at the root of things and dive in. I hope I don't become addicted to building, but I have a feeling that I will ;)

evl....

#5 ·
At 8", It just wasn't quite short enough. Inward opening doors could barely be opened without lowering the barrel, but it wasn't something that I felt confident in doing if I was a little shaken, like when our home alarm goes off, or if I was not quite wide awake yet. That last 1.5" really made a big difference in feel, maneuverability, and being able to hold the weapon at aim while opening the inward doors. I would have went 6", but didn't think I could get the reliability results that I need. I like the ability to be able to fire just about any ammo, short of low recoil loads. In my situation, with occupied bedrooms at all four corners of the home, buck and slugs do not make good sense for HD, so the ability to run smaller shot is a must. For 20' and less, the shorter the better, IMO. Additionally, I was always curious as to how well I could make one this short run. I've never been one to always accept other people's findings as concrete parameters for what can be achieved. If I think there is room to expand the box of what can be done, I go for it. I built this for many reasons. The ultimate HD shotgun was the main goal though. For all of my intentions, I nailed it.

evl....

#6 ·
At 8", It just wasn't quite short enough. Inward opening doors could barely be opened without lowering the barrel, but it wasn't something that I felt confident in doing if I was a little shaken, like when our home alarm goes off, or if I was not quite wide awake yet. That last 1.5" really made a big difference in feel, maneuverability, and being able to hold the weapon at aim while opening the inward doors. I would have went 6", but didn't think I could get the reliability results that I need. I like the ability to be able to fire just about any ammo, short of low recoil loads. In my situation, with occupied bedrooms at all four corners of the home, buck and slugs do not make good sense for HD, so the ability to run smaller shot is a must. For 20' and less, the shorter the better, IMO. Additionally, I was always curious as to how well I could make one this short run. I've never been one to always accept other people's findings as concrete parameters for what can be achieved. If I think there is room to expand the box of what can be done, I go for it. I built this for many reasons. The ultimate HD shotgun was the main goal though. For all of my intentions, I nailed it.

evl....

#7 ·
Hey evl, you the guy from the Saiga 12 forum??? Either way, welcome aboard!!! I'm sure you're the same guy, and we have chatted a bit over there. Glad you stopped over at Gunco. Anything we can help with don't hesitate to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.