Gunco Forums banner

25 Survival Uses For Duct Tape

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  4thIDvet 
#1 ·

Snippit:

If there ever was a miracle product better than spray-on-hair or the ShamWow, it is duct tape. Over the past 70 years of its existence, this staple product of fix-it-yourselfers has been used by virtually every walk of life, for jobs that I’m sure the duct tape developers never imagined. So how can we use it for survival?

Here are my top 25 survival uses for duct tape, in no order whatsoever.

Continued: 25 Survival Uses For Duct Tape | Pakalert Press

Black Blade: "Duct Tape" also known a "******* Repair". Versatile item useful in innumerable situations.

#2 ·
that discount store duct tape sucks. it won't even stick to itself.

for any of that to work your going to need quality duct tape.

don't know where your going to find 'real" duct tape--maybe some industrial supply still carry's the real thing?

#3 ·
Something else that's even better in many respects is the shrink wrap tape that they use for shrink wrapping boats. It lasts for years on stuff even when totally exposed to the weather, duck tape,,even the good stuff wouldn't hold up any where near as long, 6-8 months tops. I've only seen it in blue and white, but have never looked for any other color,so don't know if there's more options. Try some, you can get it at places like West Marine, ect.

It's a plastic tape and that you can even shrink with a heat gun,,,just a little,, making it really tight on something, flexible and strong,different widths available and it don't leave goop or that dried on crusty shit, even after years of being on something.

Great stuff, if you love duck tape,, you'll love this even more,,,,,,,,,,

And I should know, I'm a Vermonter, ,, and you know what they say about a Vermonter being able to fix anything with duck tape!!!

#6 ·
Trivia. How did duct tape get its name?
Down here we call it "Go Fast Tape." Many a race at the Daytona 500 would not have been won, without it..

#7 ·
Gorilla Glue has a line of duct tape, which sticks better than any brand of duct tape that I have ever tried. I used some side by side with the 3M, and it was no contest, the Gorilla Glue brand is WAY stickier. Now, I'm not sure how long it lasts compared to the 3M, when exposed to the elements, so.......

4th, I would "assume" it got it's name from being used on heating and cooling ducts in homes, but I'm also assuming that you're going to spring a completely different answer on me. Maybe the ductwork on aircraft back during WW2??

#8 ·
I always keep duct tape and bailing wire on hand. Useful for all kinds of stuff.
Yeah, the Gorrilla Glue brand is the best.

It was originally called "duck tape"
From wikipedia:

The first material called "duck tape" was long strips of plain cotton duck cloth used in making shoes stronger, for decoration on clothing, and for wrapping steel cables or electrical conductors to protect them from corrosion or wear.[1] For instance, in 1902, steel cables supporting the Brooklyn Bridge were first covered in linseed oil then wrapped in duck tape before being laid in place.[2] In the 1910s, certain boots and shoes used canvas duck fabric for the upper or for the insole, and duck tape was sometimes sewn in for reinforcement.[3] In 1936, the US-based Insulated Power Cables Engineers Association specified a wrapping of duck tape as one of many methods used to protect rubber-insulated power cables.[4] In 1942, Gimbel's department store offered venetian blinds that were held together with vertical strips of duck tape.[5] All of these uses were for plain cotton or linen tape that came without a layer of applied adhesive.

#10 ·
while on the subject of Duct tape I have the Silver metal 3M tape that works great on alot of projects, but dose anyone know if this metal tape comes in flat black, I just have on of My ideas that I want to try and If it works I'll post it qiickly, I just need to find some black metal tape ,,,,Doc

#11 ·
Ken. Wikepedia is wrong.. When I get done with this post, I am E-Mailing them and telling them they are wrong wrong wrong. :)
WWII.. Troops needed a strong 'imporved' tape for God knows what.. Everything from a temporary fix on an M-1 Garand to patching a hole in an airplane wing..
Not only did they love the stuff, they said "Water rolls off it like a ducks ass."
Hence the name "Duck Tape" as we call it. Really spelled duct tape. I have to go in the shed and look..
But that came from a real Marine, who still eats nails for breakfast. Without milk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.