Gunco Forums banner

Problem with AK Builder Polish AK blank drilling fixture

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  RCBMatt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, about a year ago I bought a blank drilling fixture from AK Builder.com
I didn't get around to actually using it last week when I noticed that holes on the sides were off about a little more that a 16th" about .075" actually. It appears that there is a misalignment between the bottom plate and the side plates. One or the other set of holes that are used in securing the plates are off. I checked to make sure that I didn't have the blank secured incorrectly but placing another un-drilled blank in the fixture and the X and Y holes were clearly not correctly aligned. Has anyone else had this problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
While I don't have one of the drilling jigs, I use a cut up Romy crushed receiver from Apex. I cleco the side plates onto my blank and use a drill guide on both sides, to drill a #30 pilot hole. On the Polish blank I just drilled in this fashion, it came out very similar to your results. All I can think of is that the Polish blanks are just a little different than most AKM patterns, and that the drill jig is set up as a standard AKM.

#3 ·
How did you determine that it is the jig that is off and not the crows feet?
I have been using one of those jigs for a while now, mine is right on the money.
If it is indeed the jig that is off, contact curtis. He is a stand up guy and will make things right.

#8 ·
Wait! Wait!! Do you mean that the Poles would have taken an entire 56,000 piece run that was off, and sold it to US????? NO!!! Say it isn't SO!!!:dunno:

I bought one of these several months, no make that more than a year ago...and the item was, well....:pokinit:

Terribly sad, but hey! They have learned all of the lessons of Capitolism! So we got that going for us, right?

#12 · (Edited)
My experience with them is they are a little longer than the Flats I used historically from Curtis.

I initially used a Template but fcg holes were not "cock on"

What I did eventually, was dump the Templates, Trim the back of the Receivers to achieve same Overall length as a Curtis Flat and use a Caliper to mark and drill hole location. Everything came out spot on.

Not used the Curtis Drilling fixture , so can't comment.
All other stuff from I've had from Curtis is A+++++++, Especially the trigger Guard Drilling jig for rivet removal. I've used that little tool for removing all AK rivets without a problem. Best $25 ? I've spent in a long while.

#14 ·
I noticed mine was off slightly as well. Not as bad as those though. I pushed the roll pin down in the jig, centered the holes on the X and Y, then clamped the blank extra tight and drilled the holes. I pushed the roll pin back down and drilled the rest. All turned out good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.