Gunco Forums banner

Father's Day Present!

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  nutznboltz 
#1 ·
Well, it looks like I don't have to wait until I retire to buy one of these rifles! My wife shocked me this morning with a StG 44 .22LR for Father's Day. She listens pretty well to my ramblings and has known I wanted one of these for quite a while now. So the other day she stopped in at my local gun store and picked one up for me.

I really think it is cool that it comes in a wooden crate like a military weapon used to. The instructions (What real man reads them?) were easy to read and included nice clear photos. Well, I loaded 10 rounds into the magazine and went out and fired it. Very smooth, and for right out of the box, very accurate. My wife fired a couple of rounds and she likes it too. I am going to take it out later and put a couple hundred rounds through it.

Preliminary report...It's very cool!!

Reactions: Tommo
#4 ·
Okay, between my wife and I, probably 200 rounds through it. It is a nice shooter and accurate. To me the one weakness is the magazine, it is finicky to load. And for the love of God don't push the spring release down more than one round or all hell breaks loose inside the magazine with rounds going sideways and upside down and all sorts of kiddiwompas!

All in all a fun gun and a definite keeper!

#5 ·
How nice was that???? :woot:
Sounds like a candidate for a "no tilt " follower though. I had a gun years ago that did that too, don't remember just what it was right now???? It is uber-cool looking IMO,, for sure and from what I'd read there pretty decent quality. I'd love to see one. It looks like you have to have the stock off to put it in the box,right? By the looks of the pics I've seen of them, it looks like it???? Does it have a quick release for the stock or something?

YOU LUCKY DOG YOU!!!! Bet you'll have fun with that!

#7 ·
If you look at the picture about an inch and a half from where the buttstock attaches there is a round button looking thing. It is a rod with a spring clip that is how you attach the butt stock. just push in and twist a little to facilitate sliding it through.

Yes, the stock has to come off to put it in the box.

I need at least 3 more magazines for it and a sling.

#8 ·
Happy Father's Day to you too!

Laser sights are cool. I am looking at the Smith and Wesson .380 with the laser for my wife.

#9 ·
Oh ya, I see the button you're referring to. Hows about a picture in the box???

Is the fit and finish quality as good as I've read, or is that just another gun writers story, from someone that thinks every gun is great?? It's hard to get an honest review from many places now. Well these guys,, are ,,getting paid to write reviews and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them . Can't blame them but hard to believe most reviews.

Rifleman is kinda like that, there testing guns and giving them great write ups and there shooting 2 MOA groups with high priced ammo,,,WTF?? I'd peddle something like that, or send it back till it shot straight. Good Lord!!!! That's a POS in my opinion. But you won't hear that from them!

I'd rather ask someone that really owns one and knows guns, what somethings really like. I don't know if I'd ever shoot one much myself, but they would defiantly be desirable for something unique for the collection. I don't really see many being made so it might be a neat one to have. Maybe for a younger guy anyhow, I won't live long enough to see any real appreciation in value, but you younger guys keep one pristine for 30-35 years or more with the box and paperwork,, then you're talking.

But I really do like the looks, and I've handled a WW11 STG 44 before and they defiantly have the "OH COOL" factor working for them. I might have to see if I can find one around here, I haven't seen one yet. I'd like to get a look at them.

Kinda like my NIB match Garrand is for me, I get offers for that almost every month sometimes several inquiries, good ones too, but that's my emergency fund, no sale! If I don't need it,,, it will be a good inheritance for one of the kids.

One of those STG's would unfortunately probably end up in my buds bank vault, if I did get one. That's where my Garrand is, the wood box is to big for a safe, and I have no more room for more safes,,,,

Gezzzzz,,,, now I think about it,,,

what a delema to have,,,:lol:,,OH Boo Hoo !!!!!:lol::lol:

#11 ·
I'll take it down tomorrow and take a pic in the box. It looks really cool all packaged up.

It is a beautiful rifle and I would rate the fit and finish VERY good. It is almost too pretty to shoot! Almost!! LOL! Remember I was n't using a bench or any kind of support when I shot it, I was just messing around shooting at a target standing and sitting using my knee for support. Even still at about 25 yards I was keeping everything in a little bigger than a baseball size. I need to take a bench and adjust the sights because it seems to shoot high and to the left about 2 inches both ways. But that may have been me just being giddy and having too much fun.

I had no logical or practical reason for wanting one. It really can't do anything a decent Ruger 10/22 can't do. But what can't be eliminated is the "It s just so freaking cool" element. I knew the minute I saw one I would have one.

Like I said earlier, the magazine seems to be the weak point to me, hopefully some aftermarket company will come up with a better magazine.

#12 ·
Congrats, I'm glad to hear you got one :thumbup1:

Sounds like a candidate for a "no tilt " follower though.
The follower really isn't the problem, the mag has a tab on the side so you can move the follow down making it easier to load, if you move it too much the rounds can drop in pointing up or down. It's can be a pain to get them fixed when it happens though.

The main down side to the mags is the cost, they are averaging $50, GSG has them listed for $35 (I think) but they are always sold out. I wish someone would make a mage that works in these, I bet they can be sold for less then $20, I can see about $20-25 for one of these factory mags but $50 is nuts.

#13 ·
Is the follower meal or plastic, if it's metal I'm sure some enterprising folks here could add a tail on the follower to keep it from tilting, if plastic,,,Oh Well,,, a trip to the mill to make your own from nylon or something will be the fix I guess. Shouldn't be to hard a fix or to duplicate either way.

Ya seems like most mags are crazy expensive lately. They want 56 bucks for a 13 round mag for my Bersa UC 9mm,,,,and >$45-$48 for a 7 rnd 45ACP one,, that's just nuts! And it's next to impossible to find one,, not even in stock from Bersa. That seems to be the only issue I have with Bersa's, otherwise Great guns for the buck. Glad it came with 2 mags though.

I know what you mean Fyred Up, when I first saw the pics of them I said to myself,,,"I gota get me one of those",, That was my first thought too! I always remembered the "real" one I'd handled way back, but they were always just out of reach either in availability or my finances,, ain't that always the way???? Drat!

Thanks for all the info, I'll be looking forward to the other pics. Now after your review I may have to make a more concerted effort to see if I can find one someplace to check out. Ya never know,, one of those JUST MIGHT ,,,end up here too!!! Ya Never know!! But it is defiantly time for something a bit different for the toy box.

#14 ·
I didn't forget you picture, between the weather, working a fundraiser for one of my volly FDs and now working a 72 hour triple shift at my career FD time has been a little short. I will do my best to get a pic of it in the box on tuesday.

#15 ·
Sorry for the delay. Better late than never?

Still love it. It is a great shooter and everyone that fires it says it is very accurate. The magazine is less daunting now to load as I have developed a system that works pretty well.

Attachments

#17 ·
My youngest son and I went out to the range yesterday and he shot it. He put 100 rounds through it and he is sold. He was hitting what he shot at and said the weight killed any recoil.

Still love it but need more magazines for it.

#20 ·
That is freaking awesome!!! Congrats Fyredup!! Lucky dog.

Ditto with Bellson on the 7.62x39 version.

#21 ·
I happened to be in one of the local fun stores about 6 weeks ago and they had just put one out. Got to fondle and play with it a bit. I'd buy it, but right now $600+ for a .22 is more than I care to spend.

Happy shooting FyredUp. I'm envious.

#24 ·
Thanks guys.

At least with .22LR it is affordable to shoot.

I think a 7.62 x 39mm version would be very cool. But then again the original 7.92 x 33 would be alright too.

#25 ·
Yes x33 Kurz would great if you could find the ammo now, that too has gone the way of the Phoenix by the looks, like lots of others lately. The surplus supplies have to be pretty much dried up by now I'm sure, at least I haven't seen any surplus in a bit now.

I can't really think of anything right off that's been chambered in that caliber sense WW11. I still see Privi and PPU available,,occasionally, but it's in the 14-20 dollar price range per box when you do and @ pretty limited supplies when you do happen to find it.

I'm just ,,,SO GLAD,,, I stocked on all flavors of ammo real good before this latest bout of supply/high price,BS happened. I've probably got enough to last the rest of my lifetime at this point, no matter how much I shoot. It did cost me about 10K to do so, but I should be just fine with that and what I already had on stock. I'm thinking this is how the "gun control" stuff will ultimately bring down the shooting sports, as others have said before. Some stuff's coming back, but at much higher prices compared to a year ago. Lake City stuff is still crazy, with the cheapest I've found being 60 cents and up per round,,,,that's just nuts!!! Some of the steel cased stuff is available now,, but it's running 40 -45 cents a round too,,,WAY TO MUCH!!!!

I wounder what the next year or so will bring? Price wise. It could really go either way at this point IMO,it all depends on the political climate and if the politicians listen to the people or not,,,,we'll see!

Thanks for all the pics and info/reviews on the "new toy" Fyred Up. It's sweat, I still have a weak spot for those WW11 style guns, I just can't help myself. I'll keep an eye out for any good deals on mags for you, and I'll keep you posted if I do,, later.

#26 ·
Okay, I cleaned the StG 44 last night.

It breaks down VERY easy the only pin you need to remove to clean it is the pin that hold the stock on. Be prepared because the workings are under spring tension and will come out under some force if you don't hang on.

I was surprised at the amount of lead build up in the barrel near the chamber. I was getting 1/4 inch long slivers of lead out of the barrel and at first it was hard to get the bore brush through. Other than that it cleaned up pretty easy. Reassembly was easy as there are really only 3 parts to put back in before you fold it back up, and put the butt stock back on. For me it was one of the easiest guns I have ever disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

Time to go shooting again! I need a couple of more magazines but unfortunately they are still on back order, and pretty pricey!

#27 ·
I still haven't seen any for you yet either. I'm surprised too, went to a fun shop that carries all the GOOD STUFF, and they had none. But still be keeping an eye out for ya.

If you're getting slivers like that you just might have a machining burr somewhere that got missed, I had a 10/22 that did that once. I found a small burr next to the slot for the extractor,, right at the outer edge of the chamber,,,a couple light licks with a jewelers file,,,,fixed. That could be you're case too, look in that area real close. If it has a very small slot showing on the barrel face,, chamber end, That can leave a pretty sharp edge there that will shave lead, just on general principal I'd probably do it anyhow,, if you have a slight slot showing there.

#29 ·
I'm not sure it's set up the same as the 10/22, extractor wise??? If the extractor doesn't fit into a slot on the barrel, and it's a flat faced entrance to the chamber that could have a burr or just sharp edge at the entrance to the chamber that could be causing it. If that's the case, if it's flat, put a countersink bit in a tap "T handle" and a couple light twists should take care of anything there. You don't want to really camber the edge,,much, just enough to clean off any possible burrs or sharp edges.

I've seen slivers of lead caused by both senerio's we've talked about.

I'm not familiar with that guns action,, specifically so none of this may apply to your issue, just things on other guns and ways to fix it that I've run into over the years. Hope it helps out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.