Gunco Forums banner

AR-15 upper 7.62x39 feed problems

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
I'm new here, so I'm sure this has already been discussed. What problems would be expected with a 7.62x39 upper to AR lower. I have heard of feed problems. I know your thinking, just get an AK, but I have AR parts and like the easy change of parts with the AR platform. RRA is in the process of building a rifle that uses AK mags, but doesn't sell just the lower.

#3 ·
the 7.62x39 conversion is a little more involved --but it ain't rocket science.

there are some feed issued with the mags --the c-products mags generally work well enough provided their not fully loaded.

the 7.62x39 bolt will need a mod to get the correct firing pin depth as 7.62x39 primers are set deep.

i don't know about RRs AK lower set up. several places have tried that before and you have to mod the bolt carrier to clear the feed lips on the AK mags.

i don't know if RRs solved this little issue or not. generally i don't like the idea of grinding on a carrier-- so i don't know if you can cut the mags feed lips to fit. if this little deal was solved the AK/mag ar would be the more reliable as the AK mag is superior in 7.62 . MGI once made carriers with big cut outs for this application but it was pricy $$$$

it don't hurt to have a extra power hammer spring as well.

the 7.62x39 is a low pressure round. it seems to like bigger ports and a carbine length gas system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.