Gunco Forums banner

my dad served in WWII in european and pacific theaters...

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  nutznboltz 
#1 ·
He carried at different times the garand an m3a1grease gun and even an m2 carbine.when I showed him my first ar build in the late 70's he said people don't need that kind of stuff. I told him he was right I just wanted it and I owned it because I could. He's 90 now and understands again. He really got into my mini 14 to the point he borrowed it for a year or two.

#4 ·
That must have been one of the Mitchell ones I've seen around occasionally, I wondered about those , if they were any good, they sure were expensive and why I passed on one. Glad I did now by the sounds of it.

My Pa served in both theaters on a sub chaser. Then in Korea later as a radio man.

#5 ·
When I was a young pup in high school, our Marine Corps Jr. ROTC unit drilled with demilled M-14's. They were pretty much just plugged barrel units. Everything else was still intact. I loved the design, style, weight, etc.... of that rifle. Later in life when I picked up a mini 14, I loved how familiar it all seemed. Neat little carbine, even though I didn't shoot it much. Any of the M1, M1A, M-14, etc.... basic Garand designs were/are awesome to me. Just like a 1911 .45, a .30 Cal Garand is a timeless thing of beauty and functionality.

#6 ·
Twa heard after I got screwed they were a hit or miss. Some worked some didn't. If I had gotten a good one I would still have it.cool when that clip goes ping after the last shot!

#7 ·
I've always liked Garrands period, but most of mine have all been Springfield match ones,,so never a dud with any of them.

It was one of the Mitchell's you had then I presume? I can't say that I know of anyone else that made them , but I could be wrong on that one, that's all I've seen though,,all 2-3 of them.

And from what I've seen of the Mitchell's is that , most are just redone parts guns, and even then the stocks on ones I've seen redone don't even look all that great other than the ones they put new after market stocks on and some even have some pitted parts just refinished. Nothing I'd want for the buck they get for them,,for damn sure.

#8 ·
Yes it was in 308.why I bought it. Never saw a real one that didn't work.I got it cause 308was cheap back then. Saved even more money since it didn't run worth a damn.looked neat tho.

#10 ·
I had a pile of different model M1 carbines at one time too, but moved them all down the road when ammo got scarce and expensive,,,boy was that dumb,,,,they went CRAZY price wise just a few years latter,,,DOWWWWW !!!!!

I still kick myself in the ass for that one,, I had some dandies and had every version other than the FA one, even a prototype one that was used for government testing before acceptance. It was shot out pretty well but it was very rare and cosmetically it looked pretty nice, so it would have a pretty good value right now as would many of the others I had. All at one time I think I had about 20 of them in every configuration and by every manufacturer that produced them.

Why not,, when I got them,, all in the 70's,, they were cheap as dirt and plentiful in really nice condition. Plus most of the different variations were still available too. I don't think I ever paid more than a hundred bucks for one ,,that I remember anyhow. Wait I did pay 125,, I think it was,, for a original paratrooper one that was pristine. Shit I could buy a whole case of unopened GI mags for 25 bucks ,at that time,,, lucky to find 1 so-so one for that now!!!

Boy ,that was ,,,, not a well thought out plan, now was it???

I kinda like those little shits , not good for much IMO for my normal useage, but great little plinkers and fun to shoot !! A 22 on steroids. My first wife liked them too and one of the few guns I was able to get her to shoot,,she was a city gal and just did to please me I think,,she never really got into shooting much. Sadly

#11 ·
I liked the paratrooper I had until time to shoot it.always felt clumsy in my hands. Bad reason to get rid of a collectable I know but it was the 70's.afterall.young an dumb as they say.

#13 ·
Very true!! But I've just had such a large quantity of different kind of guns over the years, it wouldn't have been possible to keep them all, I'd have to have bought them there own house by now if I had!!! Just life circumstances and tastes change over the years so many I wished I'd kept now have found new homes throughout the years. I can't think of a soul that hasn't done the same thing at one time or the other.

Such is life !!

#14 ·
My dad drove trucks to the firing range when he got back in Idaho. Crates of 1911's and grease guns by the house he and my mom lived in.said it would have been easier to lose a crate of 45's than just one. He didn't do it tho.damit! Honest country boy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.