Gunco Forums banner

What Would An Eruption Of The Yellowstone Supervolcano Look Like?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  akblue 
#1 ·
What Would An Eruption Of The Yellowstone Supervolcano Look Like?

thetruthwins.com / By Michael Snyder / March 31st, 2014

On Sunday, the worst earthquake in about 30 years rattled the Yellowstone supervolcano. Overall, there have been at least 25 significant earthquakes at Yellowstone National Park since Thursday, but it is the 4.8 earthquake that has many observers extremely worried. Could such a large earthquake be a sign that the Yellowstone supervolcano is starting to roar to life after all this time? And if it does erupt, what would that mean for the rest of the country? As you will see below, a full-blown eruption at Yellowstone would be absolutely catastrophic. It is estimated that such an eruption could dump a 10 foot deep layer of volcanic ash up to 1,000 miles away and render much of the nation uninhabitable for years to come. In essence, it would instantly bring the United States to its knees.

It is true that it is normal for Yellowstone to experience up to 3,000 earthquakes a year. But most of those earthquakes are extremely small and nothing to worry about.

But the 4.8 earthquake that struck on Sunday is definitely raising eyebrows – especially considering what else has been going on at Yellowstone lately.

READ MORE

Black Blade: Everyone downwind to the east coast would be buried under ash - many if not most would die as the ash was inhaled and set up like concrete in the lungs. There would be no escape. Those close to the caldera collapse to the midwest would be consumed and incinerated by the plinian flows as the eruption column collapses. The most extreme northwest and southwest would survive the initial effects but the decades long "volcanic winter" would mean mass starvation due to crop failures (think cannibalism and the movie "The Road"). Eventually Yellowstone will erupt - maybe next week, next year or a couple hundred thousand years from now. When Toba volcano in Indonesia erupted about 75,000 years ago only about an estimated 15,000 humans survived ("genetic Bottleneck" according to DNA evidence).

See less See more
#3 ·
Uh no.. Sorry j4.. Right now the UF girls volleyball team is staying here and when they leave the Swedish pistol shooting team is coming in..
Now their coach, tall blonde in the middle, got a little snotty with me. Ah what the hell, like I knew the girls were in the shower.. WTF over.. Kind of strange 4 girls taking a shower together. Not like were on a budget here.
Anyway, j4 get in touch with me in a week or so if this thing don't blow before then.. Hey nothing personal, you now like its a matter of room. Ah hell P.M. me, we might have some space. If you do not mind these chicks on yah all damn day, pain in the ass I tell yah with their damn questions..

Attachments

#4 ·
Hi Blade,

Well, Tectonics being what it is, the pressure blew out off of the west coast of South America...A Magnitude 8+ hit off the coast of Chile, and there have been some significant aftershocks as well. Tsunamis are of course predicted.

Good news: Maybe the pressure is lower now in Yellowstone National Park.....

Just sayin.....

#5 ·
Yellowstone not affected much by the Pacific Plate and the South American Plate collision. Yellowstone is a stationary "hotspot" or "mantle plume" with the North American plate moving over the top of it (same thing with Hawaii's volcano). The track of Yellowstone can be seen along the Snake River Plain from extreme south east Oregon across southern Idaho to Yellowstone today. Hawaii the track is evidenced by the chain of islands. Yellowstone is the only real global threat from volcanism though.

Mantle plume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#6 ·
What was the name of that John Cusak flick where he and his kids were at Yellowstone when it went off? F'ed it up pretty good on the screen.
So its decided, we all meet up at 4th's house. 4th, make sure you have enough beer and scotch for everyone. Forget bullets and rations, I want to be shite- faced for the end of the world!

#8 ·
Kind of a tough call on this one. Oh yeah if that baby goes, I think were all gonna be visiting the God of our choice.
Good documentary on the problem. Basically everything west of Jellystone, including California, is trying to move too the east coast. Jellystone will not let them past and their getting pissed. So where do they go? Correct, up. Yeah this is gonna be a good one I tell yah. Oh hell yeah, when she blows, we will knows.
Like the people that drove "Too" Mt. Saint Helen's to get pictures. Yup real smart. No idiots, you go the other way. See the smoke mo-rons and the lava, hello run away.. WTF they have an I.Q. of 10 or something?

#10 ·
tectonic plate movement anywhere in the world, affect tectonic plates in other portions simple 101 geology, but regarding yellowstone, this is not new

but 4th is right if that sucker goes forget the survival mode, the caches of ammo and mountain house, it will change the atmospher and climate for decades to come globally

i would not worry about it cause when it happens there is no place to go

#11 ·
I'm not going to worry about this one. Living in Nebraska I won't hardly have time to bend over and kiss my ass goodby. As for the rest of the country I feel lucky to go that way, because I don't relish the idea of starving to death. When this goes off it is going to severely put a kink in most of the northern hemisphere's life style all the way around the earth. The biggest laugh is China trying to foreclose on us after this happens, because there won't be anything left to foreclose on.

#13 ·
Don, one of the biggest earthquake in modern times was the New Madrid disaster.
1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes

The 1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes /nuː ˈmædrɨd/ were an intense intraplate earthquake series beginning with an initial pair of very large earthquakes on December 16, 1811. These earthquakes remain the most powerful earthquakes to hit the eastern United States in recorded history.[1] These events, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for the Mississippi River town of New Madrid, then part of the Louisiana Territory, now within Missouri.
1811?12 New Madrid earthquakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even down here in Florida their is potential threats.. Off Africa's western shore their is a series of mountain cliffs. If one of them slides into the ocean, they predict it could trigger a huge tsunami. A wave large enough to sweep across our whole state.

#12 ·
Animals leaving Yelllowstone.

Animals fleeing Yellowstone spark fears of volcanic eruption

Videos of bison seemingly fleeing Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming have sparked concerns among some bloggers that recent seismic activity could trigger the eruption of the park’s so-called supervolcano
http://rt.com/usa/epoch-bison-yellowstone-volcano-909/

O.K.. All members near Jellystone are welcome down here.. Bring your own beer and reading material.

#14 ·
4th thats in the Azores, in college( early 80's) the geology professors used to say that it created a tsumani wave so large it created the atlantic coastal plain from maine to florida and yes it is predicted to wash right over south florida, as it did over south jersey

so 4th you maybe safe up there, in fact you may own potential waterfront property

#16 ·
Ah we own waterfront here "Saint Johns River" and on Long Island Sound.. Connecticut.. I had a home in Vermont on a lake, like looking at a painting that does not move. Not all its made up to be..
Yeah think I will buy a surf board, that would be one hell of a last ride.. Surfs up dudes, lets ride..

Attachments

#18 ·
Looks like BB might just be having some new ocean front property pretty soon,,

Don't discount when critters make major moves out of the clear blue sky when there's no apparent reason for it. The last little shaker we had around here, last fall,, my critters all jumped in my lap just before it started,and were acting a bit sketchy for a couple hours before it happened,they have senses we just don't understand sometimes. Pay attention to what the critters are doing, it can give you a heads up if something weird is going to happen, they seem to know when somethings just not quite right.

#19 ·
How Bad Would A Yellowstone Eruption Be?

April 2, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

image source: National Geographic

Mount St. Helens was tiny compared to the most dangerous category of volcano – the super volcano. The Yellowstone super volcano is located in the Yellowstone National Park of Wyoming. Try to imagine a volcanic eruption 10,000 times stronger than Mount St. Helens – an eruption that would threaten our very survival.

The image above illustrates the size of the Yellowstone super volcano magma chamber superimposed in 3D beneath the state outlines of Wyoming and Idaho. Notice the relative size compared with the green outline of Yellowstone National Park and the red outline of the caldera itself. It’s huge.

Read more…

Black Blade: A Yellowstone caldera collapse would be a global catastrophe (think "The Road" - Cormac McCarthy).

#21 ·
I have traveled a number of time inside the Yellowstone caldera. Sitting on a rock trying to comprehend how something that large is a giant volcanic opening.., and if it blew., holy $hit.

Very cool place to visit. Not volcanic related but a sequence I'll never forget. I have motorcycled through Yellowstone from every entrance/exit.
One memorable early motorcycle visit in late May a herd of Bison were sauntering along the road just ahead of our group of 5 motorcycles. As we approached the herd of 25 Bison we slowed and they started to trot and then run ahead of us and off the road maybe 50 feet. We slowed to their pace of 10-15 mph? Well in another 300 or 400 yards the tree line started to pinch closer into the road and the Bison shifted closer., and soon you could see the fog from their breath and hear them snorting. They lope from side to side as they run and started jostling into a thinner line and they were maybe 10-15 feet off the road.
All at once we individually realized it was time to hit the gas and not have one of those critters bolt onto the road with us. Their eyes were wide and their noses running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.