Gunco Forums banner

Jig for 80 %

4K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Modulus Arms 
#1 ·
Anyone have a source for a quality jig for an 80 % AR lower, This will be my first attempt at an AR build so I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks Timo

#3 ·
The lower will be coming from the group buy, like I said this will be my first AR build although not at all my first build. In doing my due diligence it has become abundantly clear I have more questions then answers right now. I guess that what keeps me interested.

Thanks For The Info

#6 ·
That's the one I meant, but said Thompson instead of Tactical. My mistake.

Should have just said " TM" Heh..Heh

I just bought their 80% 1911 frame. Way Nice!

#8 · (Edited)
I posted this in the group buy but Chiroone removed it ( not offended) the january after sandy hook i had 4 80%'s hanging around and 4 uppers so I went into High gear I borrowed two jigs, one was from BBill and another member both jigs were from

CNCGUNSMITHING - [url]www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Tooling / Drill Jig[/url]

Jason is a great guy to do business with, I have known him since the roderus homebuilder days he has been around for some time. when you order the jig get the milling bit. I did my 80%'s with a sears drill press, dremel and hand drill. once you have done one the rest are down hill
same with any build whether sigs ar's ak, etc

I also suggested a group buy on the jig, but that suggestion also disappeared, I think it would be good to get one or two and lend them out

#12 ·
You can really trash a jig if you are not careful. Most of the new ones have steel inserts on at least one side plate for the selector, hammer pin, trigger and take down pin holes. I recall ruining one before I got a brain and trued up my drill press and used better drill bits. In fact, it was one of the CNC machining models. It is a great product, but at the time, it did not have steel inserts in the side plates. As far as I know it still does not. You also need to pay extra for the trigger slot plate. This comes standard on the Tactical Machining model.

You can also ruin them if not careful when milling out the trigger and hammer pockets, especially if you are using a drill press. Tactical machine and some of the others will sell replacement parts. Just something to keep in mind if you are planing to pass one around.

BTW- To all of you whose off topic posts vanished on my GB thread, sorry, but if I do not keep these things organized in my brain it can overload my CPU, corrupt my memory, affect my processors and cause a crash.

:naughty:Well, that and I am a grouchy SOB, drunk with power :naughty:

#13 ·
Sort of a cheap thrill for me I guess.
First time in ten years & 6000 posts on Gunco that I've had one deleted! Heh..Heh

I'm a bad bad boy.........

#17 ·
Keep in mind that any jigs / build tools can usually be re - sold on the forum for most of what you paid.

That's what I told myself 12 years ago when I started gathering them.
Have not got around to selling anything yet. Heh..Heh..Heh

#16 ·
Whatever happened to the 3D printed plastic jigs that were being developed a year or two ago? JMT gives one away free with their polymer lowers, for the person doing just one or two these would seem to be cost effective. IIRC, the guy developing them was aiming for about a $10-20 price tag on them. Unfortunately JMT doesn't sell their jigs seperately.

Toy Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive design Plastic

#23 ·
more ammo for willie

I did a 0% dsa forged receiver once without a tacticoo( tactical machine) or CNC jig with hand tool and drill press using a old tannery 80% as a guide I also had a old OSI jig osi jigs do not have the fcg jigs, I carved out the fire control group ( FCG) with only micrometer & drill press the osi jig has the pin alignment holes. the rest with memebr borrowed jigs of all brands and hand tools & drill press

so it can be done without the two jigs mentioned above, if your a milling machine guy you don't need them either

but heck what do I know, I have only carved out 10 of these both alum & polymer, 1)0% alum 2) 80% polymer 5) 80% alum forged 2) tannery 80% castings, over the past 20years

seems the moderator did not like my suggestion, there is no one jig better than the others only the skill of the person doing the building

if newer members need advice please feel free to pm me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.