Gunco Forums banner

Rhineland 9mm and 45acp FAL Conversion Builds (pix)

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RetVet 
#1 ·
Finished the 45 the other day. Still need to test fire, but it hand cycled rounds just fine. I still need to refinish a few parts that I had to grind on/fit. Wood furnature with all gray parts right now. It'll either stay gray or get guncoated in that dark gray parkerized/olive drab color from KG Guncoat. Here's a run down on the 45's components:

Aussie L1A1 Lower with coachwood stock/grip
Modified metric Bolt/Carrier - Rhineland
45 Thompson mag adapter - Rhineland
161/8 inch 45ACP Barrel (Rhineland) with Inch type gas block installed
Aussie laminated handguards
Century Type 3 receiver

I used a Century receiver on this and the 9mm. The typical issues with them aren't a player in these simple blowback conversions. The conversion parts were had from a market place buy. The gas block only serves to hold the front sight and as a mounting point for the handguards.

US Parts:
Receiver
Barrel
Original Thompson Magazines (count as 3 parts)

Only need 5 since the muzzle is nude and the gas piston is ommited. A fairly cheap project....for a FAL that is. This one came in at about $475.

Short and stubby with a fat barrel. It's a toss up of which I like better. This one or my all black L1A1/Sten 9mm conversion.

The 9mm I did last summer. It runs just fine. I might swap out the alluminum front sight base/fake gas block for an L1A1 gas block when I have some spare time. That'll make it look a bit more proper. US parts on it are the barrel, bolt/carrier unit, receiver, FSE H/T/S.

Crappy Pix, but the best I can do for now....

The pair, but with a shorter Sten mag I modified

For those that visit the Fal Files, this is posted there as well.

See less See more
#3 ·
GLAD to see others out there doing blowback 9mm conversions...its a fun hobby all in itself.....

NOW, lets see:

SKS and AK-74/47 in blowback 762x25
SKS in blowback 9mm or 22LR (I wanna try a 22LR sometime..)

GOOD JOB man!!! Im impressed. Do you have any pics of the bolt mods. Any problems converting the parts? The AK bolt to blow back conversion is pretty involved (Well at least the way I went) Let us know the details.

ALSO since you have done it, any chance us CALIF guys could do the same using 10rd UZI or MP-5 mags (modified from hicaps?)and AK-74 stripper clips w/the FAL stripper top cover? Thats the only way to keep the PG in CA....

JP

#9 ·
The scope on the 9mm is just a cheap BEC 3x9 with a rubber shade slipped on. The shade was only 25 cents from a Tapco deal.

I got the 45acp conversion parts with the bolt modifications already done. Just go to Rhineland Arms web page for the details. They have pages that show all the cuts required for the bolt/carrier. No that tough.

Conversions for other calibers would require different mag adapters and bolt modifications. The 9mm here uses a US made bolt/carrier unit (single piece) and requires a Para top cover and springs. This one could be used with a para lower/folder. I have a para lower coming and might slip it on for looks, though I have plans to use it for a Rhodesian para build.

#10 ·
Does that kit still allow for stripper clips??? Or could it at least be adapted? Anyone got a link to Rhineland Arms?? Can you use the kit with out the rat-tail deal (meaning could I put a different stock on it without the recoil spring inside it?) Im thinking 9mm w/UZI mags and stripper clips from AK-74 (10mm base circle)... Perm. attach mag, use strippers and have CA legal rifle :) Thanks

#11 ·
HEEHEE :) Thanks, I like new ideas. even if I DONT build it, its now in writing and SOMEONE's fertile mind will latch onto it. Im sick of all these people thinking they cant have anything w/PG or Detachable mags here...sure you can, just w/in the rules of the game. Thanks for the tips. I will look into it for sure. Have a good one!!!

#13 ·
Nice pair of carbines RetVet!:salute:

Only thing I'd do different would be to shorten the bbl. and inch or three and have a permanent flash hider installed to compensate for the difference. Really a petty issue post-AWB, and just a pet peeve from waiting all these years to have a simple flash hider on rifles that should have come equipped with one, not so much an issue that those pistol caliber carbines even "need" one ya know.

Very nice, I hope to hear more on performance and reliability. I've got a bad bug for the Sten and Grease Gun mag fed MAC's...

Hope they hold up and kick butt, they look great!

#14 · (Edited)
Mean looking build there shot36223. What kind of grip is that? The folder from the BAM Chinese air rifle looks good. I agree theye are a sweet deal and a cheap way to get a nice folding stock. They can still be had for under $40.

Any problems getting the mags modified or the mag adapter to fit the receiver mag well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.