AOW question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOW question

Feedback Score

Default AOW question

Does a short barreled shotgun fit the definition of Any Other Weapon? That's with no buttstock. What is the procedure for NFA approval? I had no problem with the SBR app. for a Krink. I have seen tiny shotguns at shows. Thanks

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

To my understanding, If it EVER had a buttstock it is a short barreled shotgun, and has to be registered as such ($200 transfer). However it can be registered as an AOW if it was an AOW in its original configuration, and never had a stock to start with ($5)

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Feedback Score

'K. I bought a 20 ga. pump in that configuration. With proper tax stamp I ought to be ok to snap that bad boy off right at the mag tube nut, eh? never had a buttstock, just a cheap plastic pistol grip. I must say, the little bastid shoots just fine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Its $200 to manufacturer one either way, AOW or SBS. Its only $5 to transfer an AOW. As far as proper classification goes, the ATF is pretty good about answering those questions. I wish I could tell you better. It isn't all too clear to me. I think though that the shotgun would have to be an SBS because it was a standard title 1 firearm first.

Feedback Score

I get it. I think that was the deal the guy at the show was selling. I shoulda listened more closely. Let's see if I got this right. I go to the NFA mfg. guy, transfer the gun, and have the modifications done there. Then I receive the gun by transfer from him. There are a couple guys right in the area who are class III and also build guns for people. I will consult them. thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Dident they quit makin stuff like that in the 30s, Manufactures use to sell them as berglur guns. Whats the scup, You saying there can be had now for a $5 tax stamp? wheres my Mossburg cruser & hacksaw? just kidding.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you purchased an 18+ shotgun with a pistol grip only (factory configuration) under federal law it is not a shotgun, it is just a firearm. Since it is not a shotgun cutting it down to a short bbl makes it an AOW, so no problems there.

Fritz is correct, $200 to make, $5 to transfer. Cheapest route is usually to have a class 07/SOT manufacturer cut it down for you, the making is then tax free on his license. He can then transfer it to you for the $5 tax. Assuming he doesn't charge $195 to spin it in the lathe for 3 minutes, you can save a bunch that way.

Feedback Score

the $200 making tax has to be paid, whether made by you or a gunsmith.

do a search on the FAL Files forum legal section for FEIB-GB to get the link to the ATF classification download that discusses this in detail and includes pictures, etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

the $200 making tax has to be paid, whether made by you or a gunsmith.
    As the Kernel said, an 07/SOT does not have to pay a separate fee for each unit made. Their annual fee ($1000 last time I checked) allows them to produce all they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.