Whats going to happen with the SCCC?

Thread: Whats going to happen with the SCCC?

Feedback Score

Default Whats going to happen with the SCCC?

For those of you who do not know what the SCCC is, it stands for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Which is does a pretty good job at explaining what they stand for. They have been doing some pretty heavy lobbying in recent months, and currently in several states there has been some laws that have at least gone into the state congress that if adopted would allow students, professors, and other such faculty members who hold concealed weapon lic. to carry on campus. Currently Oklahoma is in the processes of examining the possibility of this law from what I understand.

As a student (who waited way to long to attend college), this subject is one that somewhat touchy with me. While I support the idea of students who are well trained and extremely competent to have the right to carry on campus, I can also see cases where campus police mistake the do-gooder from the bad guy when he comes around the corner and sees a student with a handgun and a bloody mess of the bad guy on the ground. Because lets face it, they don't wear the obvious evil clothing like in the movies. This could obviously end in another innocent being shot, by the campus police when he is trying to protect others around him. And in a high stress situation like this, while unfortunate, mistakes can and do happen. The military calls this friendly fire.

So my question has to be, what do you all think is going to happen with this? Is this a trend that you think is going to continue for years to come? Be cause I support something like this but only if these students were to work out some type of relationship with the campus police, so that they at least have some kind of knowledge of who is a good guy and who is not. What are your thoughts?
    Infantryman
    Two Combat Tours
    Criminal Justice Major.
    15 years of shooting under the belt
    Collection of both modern and antique handguns and rifles
    STILL A YOUNG MAN WITH LOTS OF TIME

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Do the regular police have a similar relationship with ordinary citizens?

The campus cops where I attend are regular city cops.

I see no need for anyone to keep my name on a list. And, don't want any such list to exist.

If adults can safely CCW in society, what makes a campus a "special" place? Minors can't legally CCW, only adults. I personally see no difference between adults on a campus and adults at a shopping mall, or any other place of social or business gathering.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

In any fire, a cop had better not be just popping anyone with a gun in hand. A plain clothes cop with his badge on may be on the other side on his belt? COPS, licensed pistol carriers alike MUST use good judgment before just shooting!

If someone points a gun at a uniformed cop, that most likely will be who should be shot. But, if a plain closed CHL is holding a weapon correctly pointed in a safe direction, that person must not be fired upon.

Use common sense, otherwise DO NOT fool with firearms!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

That is true, in a crowded room where there is a definite danger of students being injured, or worse killed, it would behoove an officer to not shoot someone who is not a threat. However, in a situation like that the holder would most likely be pointing his weapon at the threat. Worse case, the officer comes in and sees a student with a weapon in the direction of another student (exactly the threat) and he opens fire. Whether or not the student was the good guy or bad guy. Not saying there should be a list. Only saying it might do well for the campus police to be somewhat familiar with those that DO carry. And yes, our campus police are also members of the local PDs as well.
    Infantryman
    Two Combat Tours
    Criminal Justice Major.
    15 years of shooting under the belt
    Collection of both modern and antique handguns and rifles
    STILL A YOUNG MAN WITH LOTS OF TIME

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

That same situation exists anywhere there are people. I see no distinction regarding students.

The possibility of being mis-identified as the perp exists for any and all CCW citizens who are put into the situation of having to draw.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I saw a police cam video of a patrolman making a routine traffic stop getting beat down and then shot with his own gun. A passer by that was a CCW stopped and wound up shooting the bad guy three times. While this was happening two more squad cars arrived and they almost shot the CCW good samaritan before realizing that he had shot the bad guy and was holding his gun on him to keep him in check. All worked out ok for the CCW but the officer died of his wounds. I think that it's worth the personal risk to save another life. Always when dealing with a police officer identify yourself as a CCW. If your just in casual conversation with a cop keep your mouth shut. If he has business with you Identify yourself.
    If you want more gun control, use both hands.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.